I'm attempting to combine a radio into the helmet.

Is there any example for subItems other than the NVG+TI solution?

The BIKI indicates that "subItems" work for NVG, Thermal, and Radios:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Characters_And_Gear_Encoding_Guide#Headgear_configuration

// if defined, this headgear item gains functionality (visual modes) of given NVG item and will occupy its slot as well.
// Currently works only for Headgear + NVG + Radio item combinations.

There's a sitrep that says the same thing, and further describes the radio gear section should be yellowed out.  However, I am not seeing that, and the radio function appears to be missing.

I am attempting to add this to the helmet config:

subItems[] = {"ItemRadio"};

However I'm not sure this is the correct way...?

Looks like you need to configure a new subItem first?

subItems[] = { "Integrated_NVG_F" };

H_HelmetB doesn't use the usual NVG item for this, so I'm guessing you need to either find if there is something like "IntegratedRadio" or create a new class based on what BIS has done for Integrated_NVG_F.

I wondered that myself.  Not sure how to subclass the radio but the NVG subclass looks like the config without a model... I guess I'll just have to play around with it to see what might work since there isn't an example yet:

class Integrated_NVG_F: NVGoggles {
			scope = 1;
			visionMode[] = {"Normal", "NVG"};
			modelOptics = "";
		};

Success!

It seems there is a documentation error. 

The AIO config shows this:

class H_PilotHelmetFighter_B: H_HelmetB
{...
       subItems[] = {"Integrated_NVG_F"};
};

whereas the BIKI shows this:

class H_HelmetB: ItemCore
	{...
		class ItemInfo: HeadgearItem
		{...
		  // subItems[] = { "Integrated_NVG_F" };
		};
	};

I got the BIS "Integrated_NVG_F" to appear after adding it directly under the helmet config as per the AIO config.

After adding this, I can get the integrated helmet + radio to work correctly as per the SITREP description (helmet icon appears in both the radio slot and the helmet slot).  This is my final config that works:

class ItemRadio;
	class Integrated_ItemRadio: ItemRadio {
		scope = 1;
		simulation = "ItemRadio";
		model = "";
	};

class VME_PLA_Helmet_R: H_HelmetB 
    {...
		subItems[] = {"Integrated_ItemRadio"};
		class ItemInfo: HeadGearItem {...};
	}

One observation - the changing of the integrated helmet + radio makes you drop your radio on the ground.  Curiously the 3D model of the radio doesn't appear on the ground as it does when you manually drop it on the ground.  Possible this is a bug of the function or I'm just having a bad day.

• Like 2

Thanks for reporting back mate, that's usefull information. 😉

1 hour ago, hcpookie said:

Success!

This is a great idea and thanks for sharing!

i have two questions @hcpookie ;

I’m creating a faction using RHS opscore Helmets and I’m guessing I could use this method for TFAR radios?

I read somewhere else in these forums the idea of having the same sound protection offered by ace earplugs, in your scripting opinion that idea would work with your radio solution?

Thanks!

18 hours ago, Rich_R said:

I’m guessing I could use this method for TFAR radios

@TheNightstalk3r just tried it. Doesn't work. For it to work with TFAR we need a script command that returns whether you have a radio.
TFAR uses assignedItems, which seems to not return subItems of helmet.

• Like 1

Oh well, exciting idea 🙂

Thanks for testing!

23 hours ago, Rich_R said:

I’m creating a faction using RHS opscore Helmets and I’m guessing I could use this method for TFAR radios?

I read somewhere else in these forums the idea of having the same sound protection offered by ace earplugs, in your scripting opinion that idea would work with your radio solution?

Thanks!

Interesting ideas! 

Looks like someone beat me to the first question 🙂

The notion of using earplugs might work if you added a custom config item then checked the syntax in a script... however the BIKI and SITREP information about "subItems" indicates this currently (as of 2016!) only works for headgear, NVG + TI, and radios.  In fact the only entry in the AIO config that is used is the integrated NVG accessory.  Even the NVG+TI isn't used in the AIO config that I can find.  Perhaps if we ask nicely BIS will add extra functionality (at least we can dream)!  I think it makes perfect sense that these ear-covering helmets should reduce sound by at least some margin.

As far as scripting goes, we can certainly have the script run a BIS_fnc_returnConfigEntry but that is no better than what we already have.

• Like 1

This is what caught my eye to add earplugs to helmets with headphones FYI

class CfgWeapons {
    class MyHelmet {
         ace_hearing_protection = 0.80;  // Protection against deafening (0 to 1, higher means more protection)
         ace_hearing_lowerVolume = 0.60;  // Muffling of the sound (0 to 1, higher means more muffling)
    };
};

Found here

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah, I see what you mean.  That is 'standalone' which means it can be added no problem to any helmet to be honest, so that should be a simple thing to add.  Good find!