Wiket

Looking for 3D modeler and a Dev for an Arma 3 40k Life Project

We are basically creating a hive city life for Arma 3, it will be strict to the lore but work in Arma! We are working on a map right now, its coming together nicely, however there are some models we dont have that we desperately need! I dont want to share to much details now, but if anyone is interested in helping, that would be awesome! We may be willing to pay for services, but we are looking for some permanent members for the team as well! Please add me on discord -- Wiket#4599 or Email me @ King124kine@yahoo.com if you are interested in helping!

Will this be monetized  and server exclusive or not?

We would like the server to have some sort of monetization in terms of donating for gang uniforms and such. And if said modeler would allow there stuff to be exclusive, that would be awesome!

On 6/18/2019 at 4:41 AM, Wiket said:

We would like the server to have some sort of monetization in terms of donating for gang uniforms and such. And if said modeler would allow there stuff to be exclusive, that would be awesome!

You do realize this is forbidden/ you require a license from GW to monetize anything to do with 40k IP? Monetizing someones IP without license is a crime. And with raising GW's ire you could screw not just yourself (GW will likely sue you and request compensation for what they think they could have lost from your theft...). You could also screw every 40k mod maker with this, when they go on a big mod stomping spree because of you... not just arma but every game...

D O N T  

And dont be naive to  think "oh well, if nobody tells anyone we are good" - it just takes one disgruntled player on your server or a mischievous person and it could have serious consequences for all of us.

A donation is not a donation if something is given back in return. It's a product/service you sell. This isnt opinion, its what several courts have ruled. And careless server owners had to pay fines for tax evasion already (in addition to paying back all the taxes). So in the eyes of courts you would be selling products using an IP you dont own.

GW will not give license to mods. Some People have asked they got cease&desist. BI will not give server monetization clearance for IP you dont own/have permission either.

• Like 5

On 7/25/2019 at 12:33 PM, x3kj said:

I dont think thats the case, it would a server with donations like every other Arma 3 server. I would sell our own, custom, reskinned uniforms, that would have the gang name on them. No gameplay advantage, our own original stuff... However I will look into this as I dont wanna piss off GW. 

On 7/28/2019 at 7:16 AM, Wiket said:

I would sell our own, custom, reskinned uniforms, that would have the gang name on them.

As you said. "sell". Selling something is NOT a donation.

For a donation you get NOTHING back, as soon as you get ANYTHING back it's a purchase, which is monetization.

No gameplay advantage

That wouldn't be allowed anyway, even if you monetized and got monetization approval, selling gameplay advantages is not permitted.

• Like 1

I dont think thats the case, it would a server with donations like every other Arma 3 server. I would sell our own, custom, reskinned uniforms, that would have the gang name on them. No gameplay advantage, our own original stuff... However I will look into this as I dont wanna piss off GW. 

"Like every other" - no, you are using a specific IP that themes your entire server. There are no monetized IP's scifi/fantasy IP using Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc - and if there where they are violating IP laws.   Other servers use real life aka barely any IP (yes real cars are IP too but thats a less clear-cut zone) - and their lawyers are not as sharkish in that respect, because risk of IP loss from digital medium is minimal for things that drive around IRL.

Check with your IP lawyer ...

IP holders  wouldnt give a rats arse if there was gameplay advantage or not - it doesnt matter to them. And it doesnt matter if you put "own original" stuff for sale  in it either. Gang uniforms, haircut, whatever. At the end of the day it's all within the context of their IP. And that's what counts in the eyes of IP holders/lawyers/courts. You make money any way whatsoever with IP without license -> guilty. 

Dont ruin it for everyone.

"No gameplay advantage" is only one condition for BI granting server monetization.  They may either pass responsibility for only using licensed (or no) IP to the server owner entirely, or require proof that you own the license or have permission for it's monetization when it's obvious that you need one. I'm not BI, but if i was them i would do the later... Every stink that their users cause will slightly rub off on them as well.

• Like 1