NathanielJS1541

Linux ./arma3server executable uses steam.sh instead of steamcmd.sh and fails to start

I have just installed steamcmd and Arma 3 on a dedicated Ubuntu-based server, and have been following this tutorial to help me set it up.

As described at the top of the document, arma3 is installed in /home/steamcmd/arma3/ install, but the config files etc are in /home/steamcmd/arma3/public. There is also a script in /home/steamcmd/arma3/public called start.sh which should start and configure the arma server. ./arma3server can be executed correctly from /home/steamcmd/arma3/install, and there is a symbolic link to this executable in /home/steamcmd/arma3/public. However when I run ./arma3server from within /home/steamcmd/arma3/public, I get the following error:

2:54:04 No product.bin found, using defaults for a core engine.
Running Steam on ubuntu 19.04 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Unpack runtime failed, error code 1
Error:
Couldn't set up the Steam Runtime. Are you running low on disk space?
Continuing...
Press enter to continue: 

I have narrowed it down to the fact that when I run ./arma3server from /home/steamcmd/arma3/install, it uses steamcmd.sh (located in /home/steamcmd/). However when I run it from /home/steamcmd/arma3/public, it uses steam.sh (also located in /home/steamcmd/) which I gather is a legacy executable. My question is how do I make it use steamcmd.sh instead of steam.sh, as steam.sh causes the error. 

Thanks for any help.