Gunter Severloh

AI Facts & Myths Compilation List

On 5/27/2019 at 12:21 AM, Gunter Severloh said:

AI can only see your "central nervous system" so to speak. They can't spot your limbs or sides of torso, only the head and spine. This is why you can hide behind traffic sign posts for example.

Yes, the AI does not know the entire geometry of the enemy and cannot shoot at the enemy when the main part of the enemy is hidden behind the obstacle.

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T120784

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T126270

AI can hear you more if you carry alot of gear - UNKNOWN

When you have more equipment, fatigue significantly reduces speed. The character is very slow and does not create a lot of sound.

AI will assign secondary targets to their own squad members if more then one player is spotted - UNKNOWN

Each AI will report any goal it sees.
Each AI can have only one goal. The priority will be the goal that is in the field of view of AI or the first in view of AI. If the priority target leaves the AI field of view, the AI will switch to another target.

• AI will run from grenades - UNKNOWN
  • AI will react to chem-lights - UNKNOWN

AI does not respond to any type of grenades and does not avoid them.

AI can detect mines and avoid them if they have a mine detector - UNKNOWN

AI Sapper reacts to all types of mines - true
AI sapper commander of the group will lay a route for the group through the minefield, if the group is built in a column - true
If the group is not built in a column, part of the group may suffer - true
If the AI sapper is a member of the group, the sapper will not make a route for the group through the minefield - true.
AI team members who are far from the sapper, do not have time to get information about the coordinates of the mines and may suffer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

AI accuracy is unaffected by fatigue, i.e. no advantage gained in waiting for them to tire themselves after running and/or climbing a hill before engaging them = UNKNOWN

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, domokun said:

AI accuracy is unaffected by fatigue, i.e. no advantage gained in waiting for them to tire themselves after unning and/or climbing a hill before engaging them = UNKNOWN

Going by https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_AI_Skill#Sub-Skills it seems that AI is entirely unaffected by fatigue seeing as the endurance sub-skill is disabled.

6 minutes ago, Freddo3000 said:

Going by https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_AI_Skill#Sub-Skills it seems that AI is entirely unaffected by fatigue seeing as the endurance sub-skill is disabled.

This is indeed true, I believe the reason was that AI would then fall back to far behind the player if they  had to manage their stamina. 

Nice work guys!

Update

Updated

• changed video links in AI Detection: Vegetation to embedded so you will see full video now
  • changed video links in AI Detection: Visibility to embedded so you will see full video now
  • changed video links in AI Detection: Hearing to embedded so you will see full video now
  • changed video links in AI Grenades, Mines, & Throwables to embedded so you will see full video now

Added

• All info from Lex posts pg2 and pg3 (thank you Lex!)
  • Added info from Domokun's post to AI Gear, Shooting, & Weapons (Thanks Domokun!)

Thanks again guys for you feedback and research, the community appreciates it!

AI wont use the co pilots seat when the pilot is dead - UNKNOWN

This is true, just tested it. The helicopter crashes no matter how much time I give the co pilot to take control over the helicopter.

AI skill can be changed from 20% -100% - TRUE

This is only partially true. In Eden Editor the attribute allows only a value between 20% - 100% to prevent AI from being totally stupid. However the setSkill command allows values between 0  to 1.

• AI will use smoke grenades when suppression level is too high true
  • AI will disembark a vehicle as soon as canMove _vehicle; returns true.
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, domokun said:

AI accuracy is unaffected by fatigue, i.e. no advantage gained in waiting for them to tire themselves after unning and/or climbing a hill before engaging them = UNKNOWN

3 hours ago, R3vo said:

This is true, just tested it. The helicopter crashes no matter how much time I give the co pilot to take control over the helicopter.

I think it's safe to assume that none of the features introduced in Arma 3 are AI-compatible : weapon resting, co pilot control, adjust stance, revive system, fatigue... With the exception of underwater combat.

BIS has long given up on in-depth AI modifications... I mean, hell it's 2019, and the AI still can't vault over obstacles. All we have are super light additions, like suppression interacting with skills.

By the way :

AI prefer crouch stance while engaging - UNKNOWN

This is true, sort of. That behaviour is linked to a property in CfgSurfaces. In theory : they will crouch or go prone in combat and stealth modes depending on surfaceType. What's actually happening around them has nothing to do with that behaviour - doesn't matter if they are actually engaging or not.

The implementation sucks though, it lacks fine-tuning and the AI always go prone or crouched on all surfaces. That's why it's such a problem in mission design : you basically can't use stealth/combat when there's no hostiles around - they will crouch no matter what and take ages to progress. It is something I changed in my Ravage mod, if you want to test it.

More informations : https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_CfgSurfaces_Config_Reference#AIAvoidStance

"AI prefer crouch stance on most surfaceTypes when in stealth or combat mode" would be more accurate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When it comes to smoke and thermal's. If things have changed from A2, and I'm not sure as I'm not in A3, well then o.k. But I wouldn't think they would change something that worked reasonably well  i.e. 1x smoke grenade won't block a view through a thermal, however 3 or more smoke grenades overlapping can/will block view depending on wind and so on.

Just a thought, I'm not in A3 so it would be for someone else to test, but that was the way it was/is in A2 Vanilla, I just tested it in vanilla again in A2, and sure enough overlapping smoke from 3 grenades blocked my view with a thermal and that of an ai in reverse. It took the smoke to clear for  him to hit me. He did shoot in the general direction, but with thick smoke, and me just standing there, he didn't get a shot on me, until it started to clear, then first sight of him through the smoke (I had a thermal too), he hit me straight away..

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, domokun said:

AI accuracy is affected by fatigue = TRUE

First with full stamina, then forced to 0. Accuracy returns to normal only very near the full stamina.

This was with 15% precision in the difficulty settings and zero (20%) unit skill. On higher skills the effect is small but still there..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Greenfist said:

First with full stamina, then forced to 0. Accuracy returns to normal only very near the full stamina.

This was with 15% precision in the difficulty settings and zero (20%) unit skill. On higher skills the effect is small but still there.. 

It would be interesting to see in your test - the "DCE" error calculator (dynamically calculated error).
It would be interesting to see what maximum values it gets when fatigue increases, and how often it triggers a floating error. "DCE" has a maximum limit and depends on skill. It is possible that fatigue affects how often the "DCE" for AI is activated.

On 6/4/2019 at 5:53 PM, R3vo said:

When the helicopter is still on the ground, the AI 2nd pilot leaves the helicopter and will sit down in place of the 1st pilot.
Probably the functions are not implemented:
- "Take control" from the 2nd pilot
- take the place of the 1st pilot, change the place inside

Created a tickethttps://feedback.bistudio.com/T140319. In fact, the second pilot is useless (even on the ground) and does nothing.

• Like 1

Will AI target the human player more than an AI opponent with a comparable role/rank/behaviour or is it a myth?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joostsidy said:

Will AI target the human player more than an AI opponent with a comparable role/rank/behaviour or is it a myth?

I would like a definitive answer to this as well. My experience is that the AI will heavily prioritize the human player over other AI.   

On 6/13/2019 at 9:12 PM, joostsidy said:

On 6/13/2019 at 10:24 PM, stburr91 said:

I would like a definitive answer to this as well. My experience is that the AI will heavily prioritize the human player over other AI.   

I think this might be true because I sometimes run 3 way fights and as soon as player enters, both AI factions of different color seem to love targeting the player first.

• Like 1

Very possible it seems that way but still doesn't confirm it, if you have a video that demonstrates that the Ai will target the player over AI every time then i will change the statement to true.

Theories and hearsay doesn't and wont constitute as a definitive answer until we can measure it in a way that shows that the AI is targeting

the player, be it one AI or a group, and several tests in various types of scenarios would need to determine that .

On 6/16/2019 at 2:27 AM, Gunter Severloh said:

Very possible it seems that way but still doesn't confirm it, if you have a video that demonstrates that the Ai will target the player over AI every time then i will change the statement to true.

As far as i can tell A.I. will not priorized player(s) over other A.I. enemy(s).

A.I. will always attack their closest known enemy.

Would not make any sense to make A.I. priorize a player if some other A.I. enemy(s) are in a much better spot to shoot at.

findNearestEnemy command will return A.I.s current real known enemy.

If you ( player ) are the closest known enemy to A.I. the findNearestEnemy command will return you ( player ).

As soon as any A.I. friendly to you ( player ) is closer to the enemy A.I. ( even if it's only 1 meter ) the findNearestEnemy command will return the A.I. unit instead of the player.

What i thought, and it only makes sense that the ai would only target what they see and hear, thats how they function anyways, so its rather realistic.

On 6/13/2019 at 3:12 PM, joostsidy said:

This is easy to see in the editor. Create a player and several AI, or group, not armed. Create an AI enemy armed.
Start the mission. AI opponent will shoot at the closest in their vector of attack.
You can change your location in the group, and repeat the tests.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, snkman said:

As far as i can tell A.I. will not priorized player(s) over other A.I. enemy(s).

A.I. will always attack their closest known enemy.

Would not make any sense to make A.I. priorize a player if some other A.I. enemy(s) are in a much better spot to shoot at.

findNearestEnemy command will return A.I.s current real known enemy.

If you ( player ) are the closest known enemy to A.I. the findNearestEnemy command will return you ( player ).

As soon as any A.I. friendly to you ( player ) is closer to the enemy A.I. ( even if it's only 1 meter ) the findNearestEnemy command will return the A.I. unit instead of the player.

For findNearestEnemy: Not really.

7 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

What i thought, and it only makes sense that the ai would only target what they see and hear, thats how they function anyways, so its rather realistic.

Yap guess not every ARMA player is a highly skilled real life soldier with all the tactical and military knowledge.

Sometimes even A.I. may will behave better than any real players which would make focusing them over A.I. kind of useless. :icon2:

2 hours ago, pierremgi said:

Yes that's true and the reason why i don't use it. ( May i should have mention this. :headscratch: )

But for this test it did what i was looking for.

If you need very precise enemy results depending on knowledge and distance during the whole time than you have to write your own enemy detection function.

• Like 2

That matches my own testing.  AI does not prefer players to other targets. Though I have not created an experimental suite to test that specific thing, there have been no indications of such behaviour. 

I would attribute this to: 

1. Confirmation bias.  The game stops when the player dies. Making it easy to overstate the importance of one death. 

2. Player perception differs from AI perception.  Players will underestimate the AI's ability to look through cover and listen to sounds.  Additionally, players are louder than AI. By which I mean to say a  player is likely to engage aggressively with automatic fire and explosives. 

3. Players occupy roles of importance.  Squad leaders, machinegunners, Anti-tank weapons, armoured vehicles and helicopters.  These all make the player a more threatening target. (In line with 1 and 2) 

-k 

• Like 2

Heres some new statements and questions for you guys that know the AI well,

something i been wondering about related to this subject:

AI Detection: Hearing

The following questions are related to the hearing subject

heres what i want to know and add to the list:

• AI can hear you more if you are running vs walking TRUE?
  • AI hear you less if you are crouched and moving vs just moving like a walking pace TRUE?

(If your running around crouched does it reduce your sound to the AI or is it no different then running in terms of making sound?)

• You can create a distracting noise that the AI will hear and target while you sneak past TRUE?

(Noise would be a grenade, or some sort of throwable object that creates a noise when hitting the ground or a wall nearby.)

• AI can hear modded death screams of another AI not in their squad and react to it TRUE?
  • AI can hear the sound of a vehicle distant, or nearby and respond to it TRUE?
  • AI can identify the sound of weapons if they are enemy or friendly FALSE?
  • AI can target a sound but cant identify the sound source if its friendly or enemy without visually seeing it TRUE?

• Like 1

AI can hear the sound of a vehicle distant, or nearby and respond to it TRUE?

True

AI can identify the sound of weapons if they are enemy or friendly FALSE?

False

Update

Added the following new statements to the following Subject:

AI Detection: Hearing

• AI can hear you more if you are running vs walking TRUE
  • AI hear you less if you are crouched and moving vs moving at a walking pace UNKNOWN    (If your running around crouched does it reduce your sound to the AI or is it no different then running in terms of making sound?) 
  • You can create a distracting noise that the AI will hear and target while you sneak past UNKNOWN   (Noise would be a grenade, or some sort of throwable object that creates a noise when hitting the ground or a wall nearby.)
  • AI can hear modded death screams of another AI not in their squad and react to it UNKNOWN 
  • AI can hear the sound of a vehicle distant, or nearby and respond to it TRUE
  • AI can identify the sound of weapons if they are enemy or friendly FALSE
  • AI can target a sound but cant identify the sound source if its friendly or enemy without visually seeing it UNKNOWN 

Thanks snkman for your information, i updated those 2 statements accordingly.

AI can target a sound but cant identify the sound source if its friendly or enemy without visually seeing it UNKNOWN

What sound source exactly do you mean?

Example:

If you use a mortar 1k away from enemy position and without line of sight to the enemy.

A.I. enemy to the mortar and within audible hearing range to the mortar firing sound will be aware of the mortar.

AI can hear modded death screams of another AI not in their squad and react to it UNKNOWN 

As far as i know A.I. does not react to any death screams or voices in general.

You can create a distracting noise that the AI will hear and target while you sneak past UNKNOWN

If you use a smoke shell / grenade A.I. does not react to it. ( Back in the days i created a A.I. feature which does exactly this make A.I. react to any kind of smoke shell / grenades nearby ) 

If you use a greanade the explosion of the nearby grenade will trigger A.I. to get into "COMBAT" behaviour but this will be pretty much the same as if you shoot very close to their position.

A.I. reacts to everything nearby to their position threatening them and in this case threatening could be defined as damage / kill them and thats why they does not react to for example any kind of smoke shell / grenade close to their position.

So i don't think there is any A.I. behaviour / reaction used for this specific kind of situation.