madrussian

How long (typically) until DLC's EBOs become PBOs?

I'm adding support for Global Mobilization to my dynamic mission (which is extremely close to release now), and I need the directory structure for GM's new German language radio protocol in order to update my included voiced squad command system.

When I check Global Mobilization's addons inside "\Arma 3\GM\addons", I see only EBOs, and no PBOs.  I read up online a bit, and learned that EBOs are encrypted PBOs, and that BI basically encrypts upon release, and then some time later updates with a patch and then wallah, all the EBOs become PBOs.

For those familiar this this process, two quick questions:

1. After new DLCs have been released, how long has the "EBOs to PBOs" thing typically taken in the past?  Has the timeframe been pretty consistent or has it varied wildly per DLC?
  2. More importantly (for my particular case), can we access stuff inside directories that are EBOed, in mission via scripting commands, etc?  For example, I can't de-PBO the EBO to see inside, but supposing I could infer the proper directory I need inside GM directory structure, would scripting commands work to access the underlying data?  (In this case I'm using kbTell and directSay to make player unit say things.  Works for all vanilla radio protocols plus those from popular mods.  Would like to make it work for GM radio protocol too.  Anyhow, would rather not wait for the "EBO to PBO" magic to happen, if that makes sense.)

I welcome any and all help, even simple things I may have overlooked, thanks! :smile_o:

• Like 2

• Arma 3 Karts - Released on 05/29/2014 - Decrypted on 10/23/2014 (147 days, almost 5 months)
  • Arma 3 Apex - 07/12/2016 - 02/09/2017(partly decrypt) - 11/20/2017(full decrypt) (496 days, almost 16 months)
  • Arma 3 Jets - 05/16/2017 - 03/19/2018 (307 days, almost 10 months)
  • Arma 3 Laws of War - 09/08/2017 - 03/19/2018 (192 days, almost 6 and half months)
  • Arma 3 Tanks - 04/11/2018 - 04/29/2019 (383 days, almost 12 and half months)

Rough research so might not accurate. You should consider to take half through a year to see what's inside.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Have you asked in GM's Discord, you might get some direct help regarding those German radio protocols, alternatively why not take a look inside the Config Viewer.

Edit: GM is a CDLC and shouldn't be viewed in the same light as official BI DLC. 

• Thanks 1

@POLPOX Jeez, it's worse than I thought. :shock:

@EO (<- can't get the pretty blue @ because... name too short?)

Good ideas!  About looking in Config Viewer.  I did that first, and I can get most of the directory there, and I can infer the rest.  I'm ~67% sure I've got the directory right, but kbTell command is not working with it.  About GM's Discord, hadn't thought of that.  Yeah, I bet their devs would help me out on this!

31 minutes ago, madrussian said:

Yeah, I bet their devs would help me out on this!

They are very helpful and forthcoming pair. :icon_biggrin:

• Thanks 1

confg dump and loadFile

• Like 1

@.kju

I've poked around in the Config Viewer plenty but apparently config dumps are completely foreign to me.

Quick search revealed this:

Is this the latest/greatest way to do a config dump?  Alternately is there some in-game way to do it?  Something new to learn every day in here.  Thanks!

While in Config Viewer, holding Shift+Ctrl+C will copy code to clipboard.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, madrussian said:

After new DLCs have been released, how long has the "EBOs to PBOs" thing typically taken in the past?

Usually till the next big DLC.

But GM is a Creator DLC, not a DLC. This is completely different.

8 minutes ago, madrussian said:

Is this the latest/greatest way to do a config dump?

Yes

8 minutes ago, madrussian said:

Alternately is there some in-game way to do it?

Well, they are dumped using a ingame script so, yes?

There are already pre-made config dumps in that thread, you can just download them.

• Like 1

This could probably help . Will output way more info than you need, but will do as a quick solution.

• Like 2

Many thanks guys, for all the great help (inc mondkalb on GM Discord).  I got it all sorted out, and managed to incorporate GM into my voiced squad command system!  The trouble was for all vanilla speakers (which I was basing my new GM code on), the speaker name is always part of the directory structure, and in GM it's not.  That threw me off considerably and in the end, my macro simply had to be updated to account for this.  I also got flummoxed by not being able to see inside that EBO, coupled with an incorrect belief that the whole file path to each word is not present within the radio protocols (which of course it is).  Getting closer and closer to release. :smile_o:

Btw- Those config dumps look super useful, and your voice script appears very handy Larrow.  Will definitely check all this out.