almanzo

When will BI start to understand their own product?

While I agree that for years we haven't had great campaign in Arma (and BTW: Arma 1 should be forgotten for ever!), I disagree that there's some inherent anti-story element in the game. In fact from the day one OFP came with several features and functions which sole purpose was to enhance storytelling aspect of the game. It is interesting what you wrote on the dynamic campaign, because story-focused Cold War Crisis campaign was a direct effect of BI being unable to create completely unlinear, dynamic battlefield. I guess the strength of OFP campaigns came from the fact that story was about what devs experienced and feared, when living their childhood behind Iron Curtain. Also Cold War gone hot scenario is much more politically correct than (for example) showing latest invasion of Iraq or Afghanistan, from the perspective of local population (I can imagine those headlines: this game let's you shoot at US soldiers! Ban it for the children!).

And since I've mentioned it, in my opinion there's one big strength of Arma, that's criminally underused. Military relationship with local population. Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were not just battles for Fallujah or Wanat. In fact encounters like these were a minority. But what happened every day was trying to win hearts and minds, supporting local population, collecting intelligence on guerrilla activities etc. First mission of Harvest Red gave me a lot of hopes, which were left unfulfilled. Laws of War also scratched this need, but only on the surface. I'm still waiting, but I don't have big hope.

11 hours ago, krzychuzokecia said:

And since I've mentioned it, in my opinion there's one big strength of Arma, that's criminally underused. Military relationship with local population. Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were not just battles for Fallujah or Wanat. In fact encounters like these were a minority. But what happened every day was trying to win hearts and minds, supporting local population, collecting intelligence on guerrilla activities etc. First mission of Harvest Red gave me a lot of hopes, which were left unfulfilled. Laws of War also scratched this need, but only on the surface. I'm still waiting, but I don't have big hope.

If Arma4 will be to A3, what A3 is to A2, I doubt this aspect will improve.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I don't think Arma has ever been that kind of game where the campaign is the be all and end all of the product. That's the way other games like COD do it, huge focus on a campaign with some MP modes on top. I have always thought that the real stars of the Arma games was the maps, the scale of which enables them to be used for other missions etc. And I think BIS recognised this aspect by pushing Arma 3 as a platform rather than just a game with a campaign. That said, I also have a bit of nostalgia for the old campaigns, and would love for a return to the form of those past campaigns, Resistance in particular.

On 6/1/2019 at 12:58 AM, Vigil Vindex said:

I don't think Arma has ever been that kind of game where the campaign is the be all and end all of the product. That's the way other games like COD do it, huge focus on a campaign with some MP modes on top.

Yup, ideally the core of the game is the editor, everything else, the missions, trials, tutorials, campaigns, ect,. are all from the editor, COD which i played COD 4 back in the day, but as far as i recall the game dont have an editor.

Most of those BF2-5 COD games are all MP based, Arma isn't.

Arma is a milsim sandbox, BIS aint selling the game for the campaign or the missions that arma3 comes with, i mean read the features on the page:

What does it say here https://arma3.com/features/content-creation

USER-GENERATED CONTENT IS A KEY COMPONENT OF THE ARMA SERIES

Now that was just on the editor tab under the game, overall the key features https://arma3.com/features

Include the campaign, the campaign is not the primary focus it is only an aspect of the many things Arma3 remember this trailer

I think BIS recognised this aspect by pushing Arma 3 as a platform rather than just a game with a campaign.

Most definitely agree.

Being a milsim sandbox, a sandbox would allow for many things to be developed and that is many genres, the mods, and types of missions released speak for themselves, imo those who complain

about the campaign being whatever it is are people that interested in playing a campaign, that dont mean that the campaign is the sole focus or core selling point of the game its just one players

perspective and preference of play, theres toys for everyone here whether you play with the base content, creator made missions, mods, and scripts, or create your own.

That said, I also have a bit of nostalgia for the old campaigns, and would love for a return to the form of those past campaigns, Resistance in particular. 

Here you go https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1681036892

and here https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=756113314

• Like 2