4 hours ago, AveryTheKitty said:

BIS isn't just going to do away with the current setting, that'd be silly to think. Also, once again - the aliens are optional and you need the DLC to play with them as far as I can tell. So - honestly, so long as you don't have the DLC or don't have the aliens part loaded, you will not encounter aliens AT ALL.

They could if they wanted to is all I'm saying. I mean, the have a CDLC from the cold war, why couldn't they make one of the years leading up to this war? And again, I understand that there's new content even without the aliens, but again, in my opinion aliens is very backward to what Arma has always been. 

3 hours ago, ISparkle said:

Pretty sure popular ArmA streamers use vanila assets one way or the other. And you cannot generalize all streamers as going after the same thing as everyone. Some are into milsim, some are in between and runs vanila ops to mixture of using current and 2035 stuffs in between current day stuffs. Some strictly run scifi based ops from their favorite franchise such as Halo, Star Wars, WH40k. I don't know where you got that impression of no one using vanila 2035 assets? Don't tell me you don't consider milsim groups using 2035 'helix' truck as not using 2035 assets. Or using USS Freedom or VLS. Besides, current day stuffs are flooding in Workshop currently. No need for current day stuffs as you get to see it flooding workshop and outside of the game while next gen stuffs are rare to see.

You say I'm generalizing "all streamers" when in fact I said "most popular." There's quite a big difference there. But sure, to humor you I'll bite. I'm not generalizing, but you have to take into consideration view count because it is directly related to what people like/are interested to. You will find that many (again, not all, don't misrepresent my argument) of the top channels are based around MilSim ops, set in a realistic contemporary or historical setting. Channels such as OperatorDrewski,  Shermanator, Jester814 and Dslyecxi. You said yourself "next gen stuffs are rare to see" but don't ask why. Perhaps the reason is people are in fact more interested in contemporary/historical assets? But you're right, I should have been more clear about Youtubers using vanilla assets. What I meant was more pertaining to vanilla CSAT/NATO units (as in a scenario of just NATO vs CSAT infantry). Personally I don't see the top Arma 3 milsim channels using those, but instead using RHS/CUP etc but hey maybe that's just me. And just to be clear, and to quote myself once again because you didn't seem to understand what I was getting at, I'm not complaining about the aliens or the futuristic setting, but I understand why people aren't a fan. Yes, there are mods for modern day/WWII etc, but they can't guarantee the same quality as BI. BI could, if they wanted to, make an expansion of pre 2035, and it would be very popular (I would argue more popular among the Arma community than aliens) so why not?

Also, mind you there's also a lot of non current day "stuffs" flooding the workshop too (including aliens) so by your logic, no need for alien "stuffs" in an expansion right? You know what, let's just ask BI to cancel all upcoming expansions because we have the Steam workshop. 

OP. It's the player that makes it realistic, the way you play it. Some players will indeed make 'Contact' realistic for them, just by the way they play and use their imagination. Realistic isn't confined to military.

The game and engine can be used for many things, zombies (god forbid, but it happened), sci-fi (A3) perhaps. But pure sci-fi is good, a proper first person view of sci-fi, done in a intelligent way, would be nice. We're yet to see if it's good or indeed intelligent, could struggle with A3 ai, but fingers crossed.

For realism, you have the editor and your imagination, it's what we use. But its always good to have a change and if it can be done in the same game, then onwards and sideways.. Give me something to use A3 for, its got plenty of dust on it.

We have yet to see what A4 will be about.. 😉 who knows.. Sci-fi-sim.

I'll be alright, I'll still be playing A2OA.. For my milsim. 🙂

• Like 10

As an original OFP player, I too remember the experience of a very cool serious military game. On the other hand, even in those times, I recognized aspects of the game that were totally unrealistic or just buggy/glitchy. And so we had fun with the silly stuff as well. In my mind Arma has always been a quirky game besides the serious aspect.

I believe BI knows their game and their team's strengths and weaknesses really well. I suspect the Amsterdam team got the green light for an expansion, but it had to be mostly done with a (limited) asset developer team and without engine changes. They could borrow materials from other projects to get the most out of the project. With this in mind they decided on:  a terrain, some CBRN stuff, some Russians, some basic vehicles, etc.. To bind these assets together they created the Contact story, an approach that would definitely stand out and attract attention.

I expected nothing more from BI this late, so appreciate it very much that they deliver this, very balanced IMO, content that can be used for both serious and fun missions.

• Like 7

As this thread is getting quite heated, i would advise all members to follow our forum rules. I would hate to have to hand out further infractions for any inappropriate choice of language.

2 hours ago, x_DarkSpecter_x said:

They could if they wanted to is all I'm saying. I mean, the have a CDLC from the cold war, why couldn't they make one of the years leading up to this war? And again, I understand that there's new content even without the aliens, but again, in my opinion aliens is very backward to what Arma has always been. 

You say I'm generalizing "all streamers" when in fact I said "most popular." There's quite a big difference there. But sure, to humor you I'll bite. I'm not generalizing, but you have to take into consideration view count because it is directly related to what people like/are interested to. You will find that many (again, not all, don't misrepresent my argument) of the top channels are based around MilSim ops, set in a realistic contemporary or historical setting. Channels such as OperatorDrewski,  Shermanator, Jester814 and Dslyecxi. You said yourself "next gen stuffs are rare to see" but don't ask why. Perhaps the reason is people are in fact more interested in contemporary/historical assets? But you're right, I should have been more clear about Youtubers using vanilla assets. What I meant was more pertaining to vanilla CSAT/NATO units (as in a scenario of just NATO vs CSAT infantry). Personally I don't see the top Arma 3 milsim channels using those, but instead using RHS/CUP etc but hey maybe that's just me. And just to be clear, and to quote myself once again because you didn't seem to understand what I was getting at, I'm not complaining about the aliens or the futuristic setting, but I understand why people aren't a fan. Yes, there are mods for modern day/WWII etc, but they can't guarantee the same quality as BI. BI could, if they wanted to, make an expansion of pre 2035, and it would be very popular (I would argue more popular among the Arma community than aliens) so why not?

Also, mind you there's also a lot of non current day "stuffs" flooding the workshop too (including aliens) so by your logic, no need for alien "stuffs" in an expansion right? You know what, let's just ask BI to cancel all upcoming expansions because we have the Steam workshop. 

Oh, sorry, I meant to say 'all those streamers'. Shows that I need to proof read more.

You sure about your claim of those streamers are only popular because they only do modern stuffs? Pretty sure their channels' contents say the otherwise. They will use vanila CSAT as enemies if CSAT is appropriate to go up against. And they've been using stuffs mix and matched for the longest time depending on the looks they are going for in a mission or campaign. Or they will use vanila faction stuffs when they cycle through to keep the interest of their communities alive. And people still watch them. And I know for sure those streamers used CSAT as their enemies before as I can just search them up on Youtube with their name and CSAT in it.

Also, popularity of these streamers/videos in the communities are way more than just, 'he runs around with m4a1 sopmod'. For example,  I enjoy watching jester814's contents because 1. How he and his unit operates regardless of assets they are using. 2. He can be very funny. 3. He plays the same game as me and I find the game fun and he does too. 4. They do stuffs as big units which I may or may never do in the future. I don't watch jester814 because I am looking for current gear loadout stuffs. Because I can look up Youtube and find bunch of real life combat footages for that if I want. So yeah, I'd say them getting popular because they do current stuff is a generalization.

And I haven't really seen much alien stuffs compared to bazillions of m4a1 or modern weaponry or modern day militia/spec ops/military groups. For one scifi mod, you get tons of different retexture/models of modern day weaponry/gears and vehicles if you look into workshop. You see railgun stuffs flooding workshop? I don't. You see many new 2035 stuffs? I don't. They are very far and between. I see a lot more modern day stuffs in the workshop for sure though. So, the new addition to near future and scifi contents in form of spin-off DLC is welcome.

Also I agree with chrisb. ArmA is only realistic because of some of its players choose to play it that way. Engine is built to be a sandbox. So... it can be played in completely non-realistic way like AIs do. Damned AIs always running over things and drunk driving into electric pole or so.

Am I the only one who's interested in the extraterrestial side of the expansion? :DDD

Anyway, good points on all sides. I have nothing to complain, except that we need more content for GM ASAP!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bars91 said:

At this point i'm just fucking done being a blind BI fanboy.

Please stop it. What you call "Fanboys" may also be adults who can understand a lot of perspectives. I can understand why there's people frustrated. I am not. I wouldn't call you "haters". Why always this extreme? Are humans only good and evil? No they are not, but people start to believe it, it's bad and it's wrong.

Not saying I am a holy man. I also need to be reminded about this at times.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Kalle M. said:

Am I the only one who's interested in the extraterrestial side of the expansion? :DDD

haha, well I am curious... I'm afraid the ET part is mostly a theme to bind the assets together. I don't really expect drivable UFO's or actual aliens to show up. Although... I was surprised by this expansion so I can be surprised again.. 🙂

EDIT: reading the description again, there are at least some alien vehicle surprises in store..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Grahame said:

unlike those who have stated it cannot be done in RV Engine... there's a lot of negativity about RV Engine but some seems to be coming from BI btw

It is not possible for BI. Because their shader developer is full-time moved to a different project. And they don't have anyone else who can do it.

What have I started?

Brothers, I wanted only to share my opinion and personal frustration with fellow players.

Regardless what reason you play ArmA for, MiliSim, Life, Epoch, Ravage or just to drive tanks in to rabbits.

Fact is, we all still find our niche within this one very game, which is very expansive and progressive in terms of content and community. 

I'm pretty proud of that. And even though there are many differing opinions here, its nice to see we are all just as dedicated.

Peace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, tortuosit said:

Are humans only good and evil? No they are not, but people start to believe it, it's bad and it's wrong.

Not saying I am a holy man. I also need to be reminded about this at times.

I found this very profound. Well said mate.

• Like 1

I'll be happy to get a new map, and some new assets, and with it the inevitable tweaks, fixes and features of the Arma engine. This stuff doesn't pay for itself, and ArmA 3 is getting on a bit now so engine development won't spring up out of the ground. Most everyone who will buy Arma 3 has already bought it.

Will I play the campaign? I've never played one yet, so I base the decision to buy on the other stuff. I'm looking forward to it. If all the buildings are enterable I'll be happy 🙂

• Like 4

I was a little let down with the initial reveal but I think it would be a cool story. Seems like the campaign will be more like a "Space Race" to get to the Alien tech before the other side. Which I think would be very interesting to play. 

• Like 1

I'm not into the Alien thing at all, but will see what other goodies come with it. I've been playing since Flashpoint came out there is nothing like the ARMA series of games I hope it continues but not with the alien and zombie themes at all plenty of other games for that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kothen said:

I was a little let down with the initial reveal but I think it would be a cool story. Seems like the campaign will be more like a "Space Race" to get to the Alien tech before the other side. Which I think would be very interesting to play. 

Exactly! Those Spetsnaz soldiers look sexy too:DD

• Like 1

I like how after a few days most folks are coming around to the fact that Contact will bring some neat new additions even if the ET thing isn't your bag.  

• Like 9

I would love to see BI fixing bugs in the engine (multiplayer):

- Bad physics: vehicles jumping.

- Bad physics: players going inside objects.

- Bad physics: objects like weapons going inside the terrain.

- View problems: players seeing through walls, rocks, etc.

- Horrible Ragdolls in multiplayer.

- Multiplayer objects out of sync: Gates closed to ones and opened to others.

- Multiplayer objects out of sync: player with uniform that appears without uniform to others.

- Multiplayer objects out of sync: Objects with different position to different players.

This is only what BI needs to do: invest time on fixing problems.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2019 at 1:00 AM, x_DarkSpecter_x said:

You have to consider the fact that setting most of ARMA 3 in the 2030s is necessary for the longevity of the game's campaign and giving the setting artistic breathing room. Do you object to ARMA's fictional geography as well? You can only set a game in a contemporary, real-world setting if you are willing to allow it to become an alternate history game or you have a shorter development cycle like Battlefield or Call of Duty. Even then since 2013 only Call of Duty has announced a true game set in a contemporary time period. As much as ARMA is mechanically a military simulation it is still a video game, and thus a piece of art. It BIS' baby, it is an expression of their staff - art isn't always bound by what the market wants, what the artists want matters just as much. BIS is free to create whatever interests them in this regard, they put time and effort into the 2035 setting so why should they not expand upon their creation?

If your girlfriend dyed her hair in a different color, you might think that she wants to attract not your attention, someone else's attention. It is quite possible if you do not like the new color.
 This is an unjustified jealous attitude of this topic, born in the confusion of concepts:
- Arma3 - "did not change hair color"
- DLC - "this is not your girl who dyed her hair"
- Arma3 is one of many games built on an RV engine platform.
- The RV engine is a platform on which many games from BIS teams are built

Every fan of “their game” wants more attention to “their game” from BIS. This is justified, but claims must be located within “their game” and in the correct section of the forum.  We do not need to criticize / evaluate what does not interest us, we need to remain active in the sphere of our gaming interests.  I would support this topic if DLC intervened and violated someone’s game scenario you like to play.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, BRPVP said:

I would love to see BI fixing bugs in the engine (multiplayer):

Lets add AI walking through walls too.

1 hour ago, lex__1 said:

We do not need to criticize / evaluate what does not interest us, we need to remain active in the sphere of our gaming interests.  I would support this topic if DLC intervened and violated someone’s game scenario you like to play.

So what hes trying to say is alot of us think that our game we play and like to play, we make it feel like its ours and want only content that have our interest, so if one is or is not

interested in certain content including DLC the fear or argument of new content that is out of context of what we "normally" play is false.

Why would it be false?

The base game wont change regardless what new content or DLC is added unless there is a platform update that changes the whole look, and feel of the game to reflect the content,

so the dislike or what have you is pointless.

It really just comes down to if you dont like it, dont subscribe, buy, or download it, your game wont change anyways.

Remember this is a sandbox new content is just new toys to play with, as for the DLC its an interesting twist to the types of content we are used

to and normally would see from BIS, in most respects the new Contact DLC aside the Sci Fi/Alien aspect of it,  will have new gear, weapons,

uniforms and a couple of new factions along with a new map from BIS which will be interesting to see and use for other game play that isn't scifi oriented.

Wait and see i say, your not forced to buy anything you dont want, but i hope at least that the new DLC will be where

its installed regardless and if you want it then just buy it and it becomes unlocked, i'd prefer that new content just be a totally new and independent game/content like GM was.

58 minutes ago, Gunter Severloh said:

So what hes trying to say is alot of us think that our game we play and like to play, we make it feel like its ours and want only content that have our interest, so if one is or is not

interested in certain content including DLC the fear or argument of new content that is out of context of what we "normally" play is false. 

Why would it be false? 

I'm not saying that this is a lie. We all love to play Arma. Someone loves Arma2, someone like Arma3 or the like. There are so many Mods for Arma3, when they appear we are not going to criticize them if we don’t fit or dislike them. Mods are accepted and used in their game, or not used. We always choose.
I say "false" when trying to evaluate the release of any CDLC as obtaining possible improvements for the Arma3 platform. Getting the possible improvements to the Arma3 platform needs to be built in the correct form.
If we talk about the lack of improvements in Arma3, this should not be accompanied by criticism of any CDLC. We all always hope and look forward to improvements in Arma3, but the Arma3 2019 roadmap did not highlight major improvements in the Arma3 platform.

https://arma3.com/news/arma-3-roadmap-2018-november-update#.XPPWfY9n0Yw

a3_post_launch_development_roadmap_2018_

On 5/24/2019 at 2:12 AM, denzo said:

Zombies? Aliens? Really?

Please, BI, do some deep research from your true 'fans' that have being playing and buying your products for years (me included).  

I think so - This is not the right way and form of communication.