9 minutes ago, tortuosit said:

ArmA 3 is at end of life,

Precisely, and there are tons of other, more recent games that do alien stuff better, what other game allows you to play milsim the way arma does ? Answer: none (Squad : very close but no cigar). Altis life players are moving over to GTA FiveM (not that I'll miss them) Zombie mods /Ravage players will eventually move to games like DayZ (where I go when I want to play with Zs). There are only two types of players that will stay with Arma until it dies or A4 is released: Milsim players because we simply have no alternative and content editors because 3DEN Editor is the best thing  the world has seen since the invention of the wheel. Content creators will probably enjoy the aliens but the milsim players not so much...

• Like 3

But the milsimmers cannot resist new terrains or assets... but maybe will wait for discount though.

Just now, tortuosit said:

cannot resist new terrains

true, and Livona looks lovely btw but contrarily to Tanoa that had no rivals in the modded maps, there are tons of free maps with Eastern Europe themed forests out there... If I use the new map all members of my community will have to own the DLC, then why not just use CUP's Chernarus? In one instance I had to buy Apex for one of our players because I reallllllly wanted to make missions on Tanoa, I won't do it for this DLC.

7 minutes ago, tortuosit said:

but maybe will wait for discount though

Exactly! I have a policy to buy all DLCs although I never use their assets just to support BI because I think that with the 3,000 + hours I've spent on Arma they deserve my money, and I will buy this one for the same reasons, but in the mean time is it really too much to ask that they do a little something for the milsim community in their next DLC ?

1 minute ago, tortuosit said:

assets

false (unless for buildings or props) for units,vehicles and weapons I've never used anything vanilla in my missions, only RHS and cup

10 minutes ago, tortuosit said:

But the milsimmers cannot resist new terrains or assets... but maybe will wait for discount though.

Based off of what? Id consider myself a milsimmer based of how  Id like to be able to somewhat recreate real worlds event conflicts and have them play out somewhat realistically vs the AI. Things like real combat morale and reaction, the sense and effect of a real time ambush, the psychological effect a sniper has on a squad, the fact that realworld soldiers often ORIENTATE themselves towards their only know threat - not sit down/standup/spin180, like getting AI to mantle obstacles, giving more varied AI reactions to unknown threats, like AT soldiers working hard to get off that shot as the whole mission may depend on it and much much more.. All of these things could be addressed to a point until or concurrently with Arma4 development.

No offense but new terrains (unless eye poppingly unique) and guns are just Barbie dress up playtime -the mil simmer stuff lies far beneath

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, froggyluv said:

No offense but new terrains (unless eye poppingly unique) and guns are just Barbie dress up playtime -the mil simmer stuff lies far beneath

Yes. I'm coming just from a cheap "a milsimmer is a consumer" perspective. And most of us (consumers/content and game hunters) cannot resist new content.

16 hours ago, denzo said:

You as a company BI , have a unique opportunity in your hands. You can teach others of the horrors of the past and prevent it from reoccurring.

Do not molly-coddle us with aliens and futuristic content.

Address us with reality, current issues and you'll find your support will be overwhelming.

Maybe they decided as a company to take a step back from "reality"....we shouldn't forget 2 BI Devs spent nearly 130 days in a Greek jail while taking a vacation in Limnos. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, tortuosit said:

Stop whining anybody and 16-post-OP. You can do your milsim stuff. No problem for me BIS trying something else. Plus we get new terrain and assets.

ArmA 3 is at end of life, so deal with it. We cannot expect them to suddenly change underlying mechanics, or writing a complete new AI etc.

Don' teach me what I have to expect. A3 is not eol...well, technically you are right, but if there is no A4, A3 will live forever 🙂

3 hours ago, tortuosit said:

Yes. I'm coming just from a cheap "a milsimmer is a consumer" perspective. And most of us (consumers/content and game hunters) cannot resist new content.

I am a milsimmer too, yes, I playtest every crappy island, but only the finest make me porting a CTI onto.

21 hours ago, tortuosit said:

Stop whining anybody and 16-post-OP. You can do your milsim stuff. No problem for me BIS trying something else. Plus we get new terrain and assets.

ArmA 3 is at end of life, so deal with it. We cannot expect them to suddenly change underlying mechanics, or writing a complete new AI etc.

This was teased as an expansion... not a spin off bringing in DayZ SA assets, some reskins and a couple of new models. Oh, and a terrain... we just got a better terrain tbh... And we have all the A2, A3 and modder terrains that can be used in any MILSIM (or other modded scenario, Epoch, Exile, Ravage, AntiStasi, Unsung)... After just cancelling a mod in development to do their first Creator DLC (and seeing another mod announce that no fixes will be provided cause they are now in the Creator DLC program) recently you might understand that some of us who are not so prolific on the official forums or discord but run servers and promote and love ARMA might be thinking that BI doesn't understand the community anymore (if they truly ever did, other than the pure MILSIM community...)

20 hours ago, Mr H. said:

true, and Livona looks lovely btw but contrarily to Tanoa that had no rivals in the modded maps, there are tons of free maps with Eastern Europe themed forests out there... If I use the new map all members of my community will have to own the DLC, then why not just use CUP's Chernarus? In one instance I had to buy Apex for one of our players because I reallllllly wanted to make missions on Tanoa, I won't do it for this DLC.

Yeah... new and original would be western Europe terrain or the US, with building models... Ya know, some work like the devs of the Australia map did in their spare time?

Edited by R0adki11
insulting and flaming remark removed.

21 hours ago, Grahame said:

Oh, and we were promised PBR shaders quite some time ago. Was it Dedmen who did a version independently. Now he works for BI will we get it in ARMA3?

There was never such a promise regarding new shaders for A3....as in ever.

22 hours ago, wsxcgy said:

( RHS for example?)", thats complete horseshit. the people who work at/under Bohemia Interactive are more dedicated and passionate about Arma than anyone else you will ever meet. RHS isn't inherently better or more passionate than BI, they just do something different, something that some people find more interesting than what BI does. that why mods exist.

Firstly, modding exists because BI (smartly) allows it
i am not saying that mod a or b is more dedicated and/or passionate than game developers, that would unfair and/or not based on factual data. 
I just wanna point out that the core modding team for RHS (since you mentioned it) has been more or less the same for its inception / A1 days anways. afaik, there are almost none people left with BI who have worked on on original OFP. Also, we are not payed for any of the stuff any of us (the community modders) work on or release, opposed to game developers. Is that a factor to consider when talking about dedication, maybe so.

9 hours ago, target_practice said:

Now if only I properly understood the difference between PBR and traditional shading 😕

https://marmoset.co/posts/basic-theory-of-physically-based-rendering/

on topic - Arma is different things for different people. some play it for misim, some for roleplay, some just for shit an giggles. It's a sandbox, not everyone is "playing it" the same way.
Some of you take this as if anyone is actually forcing you to buy any of the DLC/expansions BI puts out

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PuFu said:

There was never such a promise regarding new shaders for A3....as in ever.

I must have misunderstood... since I only know the game side not the dev side of the graphics stuff: 

Currently, Blender development is at the stage where quite a big major changes are being implemented and to be released with Blender 2.8. There’s going to be plenty of great new features such Viewport update(supporting PBR shaders), new Layers, Workflow system and much more.

This means that I’ll have to re-think some of the bLT features to support all these new improvements once they’re released. Therefore I don’t want to do any major touches into what exists in bLT now. I hope that the improvements done for 2.8 will take bLT a few steps further again, as it already happened with the transition from Blender 2.4 to 2.5+.

But dedmen did make a start... in a mod... so it is possible (unlike those who have stated it cannot be done in RV Engine... there's a lot of negativity about RV Engine but some seems to be coming from BI btw)

1 minute ago, Grahame said:

I must have misunderstood... since I only no the game side not the dev side of the graphics stuff: 

yes you did

the mention about PBR was in relation to the (yet unreleased, still in beta stage) new 2.8 blender version (PBR capable viewport) and has nothing to do with any of the RV shaders

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PuFu said:

yes you did

Hide contents

the mention about PBR was in relation to the (yet unreleased, still in beta stage) new 2.8 blender version (PBR capable viewport) and has nothing to do with any of the RV shaders

Is possible in RV Engine though... unlike what people have been saying though... So...

10 minutes ago, Grahame said:

Is possible in RV Engine though... unlike what people have been saying though... So...

no one ever said it isn't possible though. What is impossible (simply because of the insane amount of time = money that would be required) is to convert the entire game and its assets from supershader for instance to a new PBR shader. 
Also note here, that PBR is a system in itself. So it's a mix of things, including lighting, not just specific type of texture workflow.

In the grand scheme of things, unless you do it from the get go, there is little to no reason (outside allowing 3rd parties to make use of it) to invest time into something like that. The lighting/visual upgrades that happened a few years back was a pretty daring move and a lot of assets (if not most) had to be updated (texture map wise) to fit the goal

• Like 2

Appreciate the explanation mate. Cheers

When I first heard about the sci-fi theme I was disappointed too, but after looking at the terrain, factions, weapons, vehicles and props etc that would be added I had to agree that even if I ignored the sci-fi campaign, which actually looks good, it would still be a significant expansion. And if the money supports BI in making Arma 4 everything it needs to be for me to buy it then I am happy that my purchase of this expansion and GM will support that. If Arma 4 arrives and it doesn't provide the "magic bullet" that we where told would never come for Arma 3 then I will change my mind. Besides, at this stage of Arma 3's life cycle I think we are lucky to get any new content at all after being told development was winding down.

Bohemia have been very public on not confirming ARMA4 since Jay's tweet... And I worry that they will do ARMA4 but make it sci-fi and fuck the PhysX... ARMA3 almost wasn't the game it was...We won't know until enfusion is fit for purpose for an ARMA game and it is not right now (bear in mind that DZSA is not even fully enfusion - still a mix of enfusion and RV)

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, Grahame said:

(bear in mind that DZSA is not even fully enfusion - still a mix of enfusion and RV)

Where'd you get that info from?

For those complaining about the new expansion featuring aliens, I would appreciate if y'all actually took the time to read up on the expansion's content. As far has been officially stated by the developers, Contact will not feature alien blasters and flyable UFOs. The aliens and roadside picnic-esque anomalies are purely scripted plot devices for the campaign (which I'm sure will be a good campaign too, given that it's brought by the creators of Remnants of War and Resist) and the bulk of the expansion's content is new factions, weapons, vehicles, and gear that properly fits the Arma 3 canon setting.

Furthermore, after doing some digging through what little config is available in cfgSoundSets, cfgFactionClasses, cfgMods, etc., it seems like there will not be an alien faction (though there are several mentions of a "Looter" faction). EDIT: In hindsight, the alien and campaign content are packaged in the optionally loaded files so aliens are still possible. THAT SAID, see below.

Also, the alien content and campaign can be unloaded:

I still don't understand why certain people are complaining since y'all use community mods anyways. 😉

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, AveryTheKitty said:

I still don't understand why certain people are complaining since y'all use community mods anyways. 

I'm not one of those complaining, but I understand it. The alien aspect of this DLC is so backward from what Arma is about, and people would rather see Arma return to its roots. Roots, mind you, that are based on military simulation. 

I mean, yes, there's a lot of new content with this expansion, but it's still based in the awkward setting of 2035 (or somewhere around then). Look at the most popular Arma YouTubers, do any of them use any vanilla assets? No, and why? Because people want realistic contemporary and historic content, which this expansion has gone the exact opposite direction. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tortuosit said:

I can.

First A3 official content I won't buy.

Didn't buy GM because paid mods but that's only semi-official.

At this point i'm just fucking done being a blind BI fanboy.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, x_DarkSpecter_x said:

I'm not one of those complaining, but I understand it. The alien aspect of this DLC is so backward from what Arma is about, and people would rather see Arma return to its roots. Roots, mind you, that are based on military simulation. 

I mean, yes, there's a lot of new content with this expansion, but it's still based in the awkward setting of 2035 (or somewhere around then). Look at the most popular Arma YouTubers, do any of them use any vanilla assets? No, and why? Because people want realistic contemporary and historic content, which this expansion has gone the exact opposite direction. 

BIS isn't just going to do away with the current setting, that'd be silly to think. Also, once again - the aliens are optional and you need the DLC to play with them as far as I can tell. So - honestly, so long as you don't have the DLC or don't have the aliens part loaded, you will not encounter aliens AT ALL.

5 hours ago, PuFu said:

Firstly, modding exists because BI (smartly) allows it

Little correction here: People hacked OFP open for modding - Ondrej and Marek were smart enough to keep available

However BI never had a dedicated modding support strategy with people assigned full time for it. 

Essentially all modding is a by-product from BI own efforts, the effort and motivation of BI individuals and the community "forcing" BI to do stuff

(like the source model releases or some of the tools or converters to become public).

---

Anyhow in regards to the topic here:

My best guess would be its the combination of:

BI needs their non programmers to work on other projects until Enfusion is ready.

RV4/A3 is a solid and stable platform allowing to produce new content with no programmer support.

Most content developers need a change after working for years on a theme,

have their personal dreams/motivation for a topic or some gameplay approach.

And finally the Amsterdam studio is the best creative and story telling driven people from BI as far as i can tell.

I am pretty sure the result will be good, and the "Alien" aspect is overestimated, like the "future" one was with A3.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, x_DarkSpecter_x said:

Pretty sure popular ArmA streamers use vanila assets one way or the other. And you cannot generalize all streamers as going after the same thing as everyone. Some are into milsim, some are in between and runs vanila ops to mixture of using current and 2035 stuffs in between current day stuffs. Some strictly run scifi based ops from their favorite franchise such as Halo, Star Wars, WH40k. I don't know where you got that impression of no one using vanila 2035 assets? Don't tell me you don't consider milsim groups using 2035 'helix' truck as not using 2035 assets. Or using USS Freedom or VLS. Besides, current day stuffs are flooding in Workshop currently. No need for current day stuffs as you get to see it flooding workshop and outside of the game while next gen stuffs are rare to see.

• Like 2

I'm betting there won't actually be any aliens to fight.  Story is probably about abandoned alien tech and the Spetznatz and NATO fighting over them.

• Like 1