So, back in the early 2000's an amazing ground-breaking 'game' was released. This 'Game' took over my life. I'm now 30 years old and still writing, scripting, designing scenarios and missions.
BI, whats going on man? We don't need Aliens or extraterrestrial life. You appear to be missing the point and ignoring your community.
Read and take in from your fans that have been with you for decades now.
Even GM felt rushed, lacking in content and a bit of a steal really. It was a great effort by the GM  Dev's and I'm sure if they had more time it would have been better,  but Bi please...why not support people that are dedicated and passionate about ArmA progression and the future? ( RHS for example?).

I was 13 years old when I bought OFP:CWC and the EXPANSION packs back then which were epic.
(Modern DLC can away and suck one, great way to kill your fanbase).

I learned many things from this 'Game'.

I learned what scripting was.

I learned different programming languages.

I learned about history.
I  learned about warfare.

And that was all Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis. (.sqs)

Your 'GAME' is popular and great because we can conjure any scenario or mission or even full on War at our will.

Because there is REALISM.

We need modern Tech, post Tech, Electronic Warfare.
 We do NOT need some Alien crap that will push away your hardcore fans and attract very little interest from new 'customers'. Apart from some freak bitches that love BR Games. And everything else that seems to be popular.

Dudes, REALLY?! Don't know if you noticed, but your vanilla Arma 3 units and design? Ain't really working out for us. Mods like RHS/UNSUNG/And many other Add-ons, etc, are wiping the floor with your multi-million euro studio developments. 

Zombies? Aliens? Really?

Please, BI, do some deep research from your true 'fans' that have being playing and buying your products for years (me included). 

Your product is popular because we can recreate events and tailor make our own scenarios. The beauty is that you create the theme, effects and rules, and we adapt, like we always have, and we create our own content.

End of the day BI, We are your game.
We are your community, we are your paychecks . WE ARE WHAT YOU NOW NEED TO PLEASE. How else are you going to sell your product? Will DLC and such keep ya alive?

Probably.
Money talks.
Just don't screw over your fans that have been with you for decades and expect them to buy some half-arsed ET content?

We aren't stupid. Watch your USER MISSIONS & CREATED CONTENT forums/youtube/steam etc.

Give us something we actually want.

And we will support you until the end of time.

Communication between us all is underrated.

Peace.

Concerned OFP/ ArmA Player.

Denzoshosan

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Similar story here, but was older when OFP came out, but it did really change my gaming life... Seem to remember that this was what BI wanted ARMA3 to be before they realized that they would lose their audience... Maybe a foot in the water to see whether they can escape MILSIM? Either way... would we ever get proper naval, proper surface shaders, female characters, removal of the 60 FPS limit and more? I guess not...

Peace,

Concerned OFP / ArmA Player.

Grahame

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From this DLC need only new map, rest content or crap (aliens story) or already have in mods (RHS). Fans this game await realistic scenarios from stories wars is Chechen and Syria.

• Like 1

nobody is forcing you to play with the aliens. all that hardcore military simulation stuff is there and nobody is stopping you from using it. and believe it or not, but the DLC will actually contains a ton of content that is useful for convention military scenarios,  like the terrain, or the two new factions coming with it. you can sill create your own scenarios, and actually, this expansion will give you new and different tools to do that with, theres new tech like the ED-1D UGV or the spectrum device. the terrain is excellent for military situations with its rolling hills and its wealth of villages, industrial sites, and military bases.

almost every arma player I've spoken with are excited about the expansion. some are definitely skeptical about the aliens concept, but excited for everything else. its not like this is going to ruin sales or prompt boycotts, its not scaring off droves of players. you're imagining things because you're upset that BI explored a new direction. you might find this hard to believe, but BI doesn't exist to cater to your wishes. they didn't do what you wanted, they did what they wanted, and if you can't appreciate that then I don't think you can really call yourself a fan of Arma or Bohemia Interactive. you should be glad that after 5 years they're still making new things for this game at all.

oh and your little bit about employing "people that are dedicated and passionate about ArmA and the future? ( RHS for example?)", thats complete horseshit. the people who work at/under Bohemia Interactive are more dedicated and passionate about Arma than anyone else you will ever meet. RHS isn't inherently better or more passionate than BI, they just do something different, something that some people find more interesting than what BI does. that why mods exist.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

My friend of few words here has a great point. (@Grahame)

BI, you must start taking brave steps to address taboo war theatres like Chechnya, Syria, Korea, Vietnam, CAR, WW1, WW2 etc.

I learned so much from past OFP Campaigns and Mods.

You as a company BI , have a unique opportunity in your hands. You can teach others of the horrors of the past and prevent it from reoccurring.

Do not molly-coddle us with aliens and futuristic content.

Address us with reality, current issues and you'll find your support will be overwhelming.

Peace.

Denzoshosan

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Okay. Fan Bois appear... Do not see any MILSIM engine changes in anything I have read. See DayZ structures as assets that we have been *legally* prevented from using, do not see anything that - for a $30 expansion - enhances ARMA more than the many alien mods already out there... 

Oh, and ROFLed at this: "the people who work at/under Bohemia Interactive are more dedicated and passionate about Arma than anyone else you will ever meet"... Dwarden for sure but... 

And I am sure that the fan bois will slag me off... but I've been running ARMA2 and ARMA3 servers for years and still will do so (currently 1 A2, 2 A3 and 1DZSA)... I am however allowed to express my opinion on a game I actively promote to my small community and beyond

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, wsxcgy said:

you might find this hard to believe, but BI doesn't exist to cater to your wishes. they didn't do what you wanted, they did what they wanted, and if you can't appreciate that then I don't think you can really call yourself a fan of Arma or Bohemia Interactive.

I like you a lot man, I'm a big fan of all your content and I have a lot of respect for you. But arguments like this are so stupid. He's entitled to share his opinion, and frankly it's not just his. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, x_DarkSpecter_x said:

I like you a lot man, I'm a big fan of all your content and I have a lot of respect for you. But arguments like this are so stupid. He's entitled to share his opinion, and frankly it's not just his. 

he's free to have an opinion, and I'm in total support of people having opinions, but acting like this is going to kill the game or acting like BI has betrayed milsim is just plain silly, I guess thats the point I'm trying to make. this game will be as much milsim as it ever was. BI is at a point in the development cycle where they aren't interested in just making the bread and butter kind of stuff, they're trying new things. doesn't mean they've forsaken the old things, and it doesn't mean the old things we were already using stopped existing. the aliens bit is really only relevant to the First Contact campaign anyway, there's still a lot of other stuff coming with the expansion that should be very cool for traditional 'military' scenarios.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

Wsxcgy,

I'm not arguing the fact that the new DLC will bring new exciting content, neither am I boycotting or asking anyone to not purchase this DLC. (I love this game and developer, so that would be very counter-productive for me, you and everyone else.)

Nor am I discrediting the work effort or merit of BI employees.

As I've said, I have been playing/supporting/buying Bohemia products since i was 13 years old. I'm 30 now mate. I still play Arma3 habitually and have spent a lot of money upgrading my PC to keep up throughout the years.

I feel, in my opinion, as a fan/dedicated player and contributor to the Company. There is a real opportunity here to teach, and for people about to learn from past and present, maybe prevent history from repeating and the current horrors that still exist in our world, instead of shooting little grey people that come from outer-space.

Peace.

Denzoshosan

• Like 1

A lot of ODOL52 formatted objects from DayZ SA 0.61 from what I have seen so far... That we were legally prevented from taking to ARMA... Do DayZ owners get a discount?

I have been playing Bohemia's games since the release of OFP too, I was 36 then though, and I continue to support them. But I do wonder with mods being killed before release on the workshop (so they can be a Creator DLC) and this whether BI really do care about us?

• Haha 1

People seem angry about this release, but if they didn't release anything then everything would've just carried on as normal, no love lost. But when they go and release something, BAM, anger........

But then I see a lot of positive comments on other mods concerning alien/sci-fi settings and mostly they're supportive. Yeah, an in-depth naval experience would've been alright but I'm not sure how easy that would've been considering a lot of their staff have been moved on to other projects(?) and the already complex environment that ArmA is. Fixing things would be great, but again, staffing issues and so at some point I guess they've gotta make a call on where to go. And besides, after reading the Steam description it sounds to me like all they'e doing is using an extra-terrestrial background to the story, with some added in assets (immersion) to set up an East v's West conflict.

Relax, jeeze. It's more content for a game that has so god damn much already in it thanks to it's openness to mods and scripting.

• Like 8

OId Man DLC? That's what I was expecting TBH... Oh, and the EOL patch for OA... but despite promises I guess we'll never see that released to the stable branch.

Oh, and we were promised PBR shaders quite some time ago. Was it Dedmen who did a version independently. Now he works for BI will we get it in ARMA3?

6 hours ago, beno_83au said:

And besides, after reading the Steam description it sounds to me like all they'e doing is using an extra-terrestrial background to the story, with some added in assets (immersion) to set up an East v's West conflict.

Which was Bohemia's original idea for ARMA3 LOL...

Guess we will see whether you can do more with a combination of ArmSTALKER and the HALO mods than with this DLC... 

I think maybe this topic has lead astray. I'm not commenting on the work effort, merit of BI or smashing their new DLC because its not what I wanted. (I only found out yesterday! And if I can afford it, I'll probably buy it!)

I am expressing my view that BI has a VERY unique opportunity here. And instead of fiction, I feel that showing past and current events and learning from them would be more beneficial. 

Peace.

Denzoshosan

• Like 1

And aye, wsxcgy you've been about for time man. I''m sure I remember you from way back, OFPEC and stuff. Valued and respected member of the OFP/ArmA community.
There's no disrespect or harm here. Only debate and probable folly.

Peace.

Denzoshosan

True!

Pretty much the same here.

O.F.P. was a life changer to me! :icon2:

I totally underestand companys have to try different stuff to see how it works out. Best example is DayZ.

I really like DayZ even if i don't like all this zombie stuff but enfusion engine with all the nice lighting and environment in general is just pretty damn nice!

Still hoping for an official B.I.S. Everon map just like they did with Malden!

Have been away from ARMA for quite some years but Malden really was one of the things which brought me back to the game.

I never use vanilla OPFOR unit(s) because to me they all look very strange with all their hoses and breathing stuff ( or what ever it should be ) on their gear... :headscratch:

So yes it is true guess most of the "old" O.F.P. community members would prefer to see B.I.S. continue what they started back in 2001.

But well... It is what it is... Malden and Eden to me thats all i need to enjoy the game! :icon5:

• Like 3

@denzo don't run ahead, maybe it's just a declassified  secret russian weapon 😄

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grahame said:

Was it Dedmen who did a version independently.

Yes

6 hours ago, Grahame said:

Now he works for BI

Not yet.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Grahame said:

Oh, and we were promised PBR shaders quite some time ago.

When was this? I've never heard about it before, and I was under the impression that RV is programmed in such a way that it largely precludes the introduction of new shading techniques.

PBR has been confirmed for Enfusion, perhaps you are referring to that?

Turning to Alien stuff is the solution for every issue in the A3 issue: whenever we see a strange simulation, BIS can claim its intended, it should reflect a disturbance space-time continuum.

My personal opinion: The last thing we need is another DLC...any other content - community does an excellent job already.

Save your time for fixing A3 and dev A4.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, denzo said:

I think maybe this topic has lead astray. I'm not commenting on the work effort, merit of BI or smashing their new DLC because its not what I wanted. (I only found out yesterday! And if I can afford it, I'll probably buy it!)

I am expressing my view that BI has a VERY unique opportunity here. And instead of fiction, I feel that showing past and current events and learning from them would be more beneficial. 

Peace.

Denzoshosan

There is no learning from past or current events in Arma : it's not the adaquate platform for it.

Why do you think 99% of the content in the series is fictionalised? If BIS was to picture real world conflicts, they would drown in endless debates and partisanship.

I'm perfectly fine with fiction - including aliens : just because it's fiction doesn't mean they threw realism away...

I don't believe such an encounter of the 3rd kind would happen, but hey who knows? Exploring what would happen in such a situation is a good pretext to play, and as long as it's plausible I'm happy with it.

Aliens aren't necessarily kid stuff either, there's been, and still is, plenty of serious studies on what would/could happen if we found out we aren't alone. The only thing we know for sure about aliens, is what we don't know (as philosophers love to put it); there's still room for such a scenario in the realm of possibilities.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

friends, if you remember 2014 and single Arma 3 story  ..... secret military project on Altis .... strange earthquakes .... CSAT Special Forces try to take out the unknown device .....   What if  we have a new similar secret project on Altis  Livonia  ......  strange earthquakes antigravity effects .... CSAT Russian Special Forces try to take out the UFO   unknown device .....  :headscratch:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, haleks said:

There is no learning from past or current events in Arma : it's not the adaquate platform for it.

Why do you think 99% of the content in the series is fictionalised? If BIS was to picture real world conflicts, they would drown in endless debates and partisanship.

Consider also the negative attention that a mod can attract to the franchise (even worse when that attention is based on a falsehood - see: ISIS mod). Officially bringing that sort of content into the game is a non-starter, business-wise.

We don't have to like it, but we have to recognize that the vast majority of paying customers are in it for the unrealistic stuff.

• Like 2

Stop whining anybody and 16-post-OP. You can do your milsim stuff. No problem for me BIS trying something else. Plus we get new terrain and assets.

ArmA 3 is at end of life, so deal with it. We cannot expect them to suddenly change underlying mechanics, or writing a complete new AI etc.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3