DnA

Contact Expansion Asset Feedback

I've been unable to load any virtual arsenal loadouts which have a suppressor anywhere but applied to the weapon. Is that intended?

EDIT: Wrong thread, doesn't concern the actual assets.

RPK-12 has issue with placing:

This is the closes you can approach object when crouch:

F1FC22B05423C647E26CA5075A951AEDD20AC771 

This is view when bipods are deployed:

767495D9A3EE09F2BB0C75D6D3A5FE815457EFFA

But in 1st person you still appear far from object and bipods are not at the same place as they are in 3rd person view:

C1D4CAF3B4CE2D27C70C35ED33823341D39EBAA1

Also thumb looks weird with that gap between it and foregrip

Gonna agree with guys saying that shotguns are unrealistically powerful. You can one-shot fully geared soldiers from 50 meters away with pellets making torso hits.

I have serious doubts that pellets or especially slugs are going to pierce even a mediocre armor plate. In the same way a helmet will probably shrug them off.

Granted, slugs do pack a punch they're effectively small cylinders with dull surfaces that have almost no piercing capacity.

I'm inclined to believe that body parts protected by armor should be almost invulnerable to shotgun shots.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, semiconductor said:

Gonna agree with guys saying that shotguns are unrealistically powerful. You can one-shot fully geared soldiers from 50 meters away with pellets making torso hits.

I have serious doubts that pellets or especially slugs are going to pierce even a mediocre armor plate. In the same way a helmet will probably shrug them off.

Granted, slugs do pack a punch they're effectively small cylinders with dull surfaces that have almost no piercing capacity.

I'm inclined to believe that body parts protected by armor should be almost invulnerable to shotgun shots.

The main point in shotgun ammunitions is impact force, not Penetration. Even fully protected you do not just shrug off a slug hit. the pellets used is 00 shot, thats like beeing hit by 12 pistol rounds at once. But, beyond 50m there should indeed be litte effect on a person with high level protective gear and dispersion would also play a role there... less single pellet hits.

2 hours ago, semiconductor said:

At which point shotguns would then become pointless. The sole purpose of them being in the game is to be viable close-ranged weapons (and even then, the effective range of shotguns is actually a lot higher than most games like to portray it as). Granted, CSAT and Spetsnaz (from the looks of screenshots) are kind of lacking in armor so the whole point about body armor penetration doesn't quite apply to them, and criminal-type civilian factions like Syndikat don't wear armor, so they're sort of the intended targets for buckshot, but buckshot's still quite strong. Remember the shotguns from Arma 2? The shotguns in that game, few in number as they were, were still incredibly powerful even against targets with body armor.

Also, there are actually armor-piercing slugs IRL that can take out the engines of vehicles. Just sayin'.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FoxFort said:

But in 1st person you still appear far from object and bipods are not at the same place as they are in 3rd person view:

1st person lod is always loaded on top in rendering pipeline and that cause that illusion therefor its rather unlikely to get fixed since it would involve rather big change to rendering. You can try it with other rifles too

1 hour ago, Beagle said:

Even fully protected you do not just shrug off a slug hit. the pellets used is 00 shot, thats like beeing hit by 12 pistol rounds at once.

Thing is, as long as they don't penetrate the armor a guy would walk away with a mid-to-bad bruise. Maybe a broken rib or two. Hits to non-protected areas (that are also non-critical) are definitely going to hurt but a grown man won't just instantly drop dead from those. Right now they drop like flies.

I'm fairly confident that non-penetrating shotgun hits, while unpleasant, are easily survivable.

1 hour ago, maccrawinthejaw said:

At which point shotguns would then become pointless.

I think that's the reason why pretty much every military has ditched them and that's why they tend to be relatively easily available to civilians even in the most gun-restrictive countries like Soviet Union or UK: they are useless in modern combat. Unless you're fighting ducks or random lone home intruders. On a side note, I was told that grown hogs take a slug hit into their foreheads if the angle is right.

Don't get me wrong, shotguns definitely should be a viable close-range weapon (and I'm actually tinkering with this one model for some mod right now) but not against a soldier in full gear.

It's not that we don't have "soft" targets either: Syndikat, Spetsnaz (allegedly), FIA, maybe CSAT, pretty much everything in CUP Units.

I suggest toning the damage down and seeing how that'll work out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, semiconductor said:

Thing is, as long as they don't penetrate the armor a guy would walk away with a mid-to-bad bruise. Maybe a broken rib or two. Hits to non-protected areas (that are also non-critical) are definitely going to hurt but a grown man won't just instantly drop dead from those. Right now they drop like flies.

I'm fairly confident that non-penetrating shotgun hits, while unpleasant, are easily survivable.

I think that's the reason why pretty much every military has ditched them and that's why they tend to be relatively easily available to civilians even in the most gun-restrictive countries like Soviet Union or UK: they are useless in modern combat. Unless you're fighting ducks or random lone home intruders. On a side note, I was told that grown hogs take a slug hit into their foreheads if the angle is right.

Don't get me wrong, shotguns definitely should be a viable close-range weapon (and I'm actually tinkering with this one model for some mod right now) but not against a soldier in full gear.

It's not that we don't have "soft" targets either: Syndikat, Spetsnaz (allegedly), FIA, maybe CSAT, pretty much everything in CUP Units.

I suggest toning the damage down and seeing how that'll work out.

Saying all militaries have ditched shotguns is a lie, and there are even new combat shotguns being developed (the M26 MASS and Six12 [the shotgun mounted to the Promet] being examples of underbarrel shotguns designed to eliminate the need to carry a rifle and a shotgun, because the latter is mounted under the former). As primary arms; yeah, they've been scrapped, especially given how we're not doing trench warfare anymore, but shotguns are used as both breaching tools and close quarters combat weapons.

I've only been using it against CSAT and guerrilla forces in Liberation, and both targets have either light or nonexistent armor. CSAT fatigues provide small amounts of armor and their vests are lightweight and provide little to no protection, because they're what TV Tropes labels as "Glass Cannons" (as in their doctrine is to do more damage and be faster at the cost of armor, which you can see in the T-100, which has a higher-powered cannon but the weakest armor of the MBTs), so shotguns rip through them with ease, and the guerrillas don't even wear armor, so they're easy prey even without using a shotgun.

If you were fighting a target with really heavy armor (i.e. NATO's Special Purpose Vest), then yeah, I think the damage should definitely be reduced to a 3-4 or maybe 5-shot kill with buckshot, but most factions wear light armor or no armor at all, so I don't really see an issue with it. A damage dropoff at range might be an alternative solution, maybe like it's a 1HK at up to 10 or 20 meters, before the damage is reduced by half or so up to 50 meters, at which point it becomes worthless (due to inaccuracy and reduced velocity).

If slugs in Contact's shotguns didn't super-punch people off into the sunset, I'd say they're more or less well-balanced but I haven't been able to really use them without making my targets disappear over the horizon so I can't really assess their damage accurately. Slugs are close (but not exact) to 20 millimeters in diameter, so they're pretty freakin' huge and should be able to punch a hole through the thickest of body armor with little to no trouble.

The official Chinesesimp localization on Kozlice ammo:

"Buckshot" should be "鹿弹", not "子弹"

"Slug" should be "独头弹", not "弹丸".

• Like 1

Still in Chinesesimp:

The 75-round Drum for RPK-12 is wrongly translated as "弹匣"(=Magazine). Should be "弹鼓"(=Drum).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, reyhard said:

1st person lod is always loaded on top in rendering pipeline and that cause that illusion therefor its rather unlikely to get fixed since it would involve rather big change to rendering. You can try it with other rifles too

I have checked other weapons and you're closer to object in 1st person. Navid and SPMG are big weapons as well but you don't get that too far away effect in 1st person as with RPK-12. Maybe move 1st person Lod a bit further?  Just to make that 1st person weapons bipods are not hovering in the air.

The French localisation for rifle scope :

"luxuriant" must be "tropical"

46 minutes ago, oldbear said:

The French localisation for rifle scope :

"luxuriant" must be "tropical"

I think „ Luxuriant “ ( Lush ) is more neutral than „ Tropical “ cause it's not for jungle only.

Well, in French "luxuriant" is far from being neutral, coming from latin verb luxuriare [to indulge in debauchery] it qualified now a dense vegetation and/or a literary style, a way of life that is full of richness, vigour.

On the other hand "tropique" is already the world used in Arma3 French localisation, it's rather near the technical term "tropicalisé" used IRL for equipment to be used in hot wet environment.

• Like 1

I know this will never be a thing, but who else wants MSBS-K for variant of Promet? Y'know, bullpup rifle is a cool thing, but non-bullpup is also.

• Like 7

On 5/27/2019 at 9:38 PM, GuyWithaJeep said:

There seems to be an issue with the Connector Tent (Cross) with regards to its collision geometry when you try to close off some of the doors.

Has this been fixed already? 
I haven't come around having a look at it for a few days now (tested it about 4-5 Days ago) and I can't see anything in the changelog about it. 

If it has not been addressed yet, I'd like to notify about it once more since these tents for me are one of the best things in the DLC (as of yet ;D)
(If it has been fixed already, do I need to replace already placed tents to make it work?)

8 hours ago, FoxFort said:

I have checked other weapons and you're closer to object in 1st person. Navid and SPMG are big weapons as well but you don't get that too far away effect in 1st person as with RPK-12. Maybe move 1st person Lod a bit further?  Just to make that 1st person weapons bipods are not hovering in the air.

It's not going to help since whole pilot LOD is rendered on top of exterior layer so moving it forward will make it actually worse. 1st person view is always on top which means you cannot see anything clipping through it. What can be done is raising bipod resting point but then, there are also limits for that since character is using same point when lying or resting weapon on 50cm obstacle. I guess it's more notable on RPK because it has longer bipod - reducing its length could be also sort of any option but then, I'm pretty sure it's going to look quite silly.

All muzzle flashes are still too bright compared to the Promet's. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the MBT muzzle flash and GM6 muzzle flash haven't been recolored yet.

On 6/12/2019 at 10:08 AM, POLPOX said:

Also, I think civlian variant of Mk14 needs another name to fit to more civilian-ly, and how about get rid of the rails by default? Well, I've never seen a hunting rifle nor a hunter

While I don't see anything wrong with rails on Mk14 (nowadays it is way more common way to mount optics on M14 type of weapon - even though real hunters would use something different), I'm all for renaming semi-auto variant! Additionally, it'd be great to have both military and civilian variants of this weapon available in all three colours (camo, olive, wood).

There's also one thing which isn't really tied to Contact DLC, but would be excellent to see - that is dividing current Civilian faction into language/ethnic-specific ones. Currently various dynamic mission systems tend to spawn civs using a mixture of all available identities/languages. So you can often bump into Chinese on Altis, and Greeks on Tanoa (and so on). With Contact adding yet another radio protocol we're risking creating a true Babel tower and a wrath of God!

5 hours ago, POLPOX said:

I know this will never be a thing, but who else wants MSBS-K for variant of Promet?

I'd happily settle on CQB Promet similiar to the one posted by @Glow several pages back... One can dream...

Edited by krzychuzokecia
daydreaming mode
  • Like 1

Well we could have some laboratory equipment like a microscope, some glass jars, syringes, precision scale, hospital bed, a large white table and some cryogenic chamber.

That would give a universe of possibilities in the creation of the mission.

And some internal walls of the laboratory, where half is glass, so we can split a shed each internal sector.

Laboratory.jpg

From here I only wanted these cryogenic chambers

latest?cb=20130221180705

• Like 2

It would be great if the sawn off shotgun would be in the pistol slot. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

When you are inside a vehicle, you can't hear the audio from the large showers even when engine is off, is this intentional?

1 hour ago, krzychuzokecia said:

There's also one thing which isn't really tied to Contact DLC, but would be excellent to see - that is dividing current Civilian faction into language/ethnic-specific ones. Currently various dynamic mission systems tend to spawn civs using a mixture of all available identities/languages. So you can often bump into Chinese on Altis, and Greeks on Tanoa (and so on). With Contact adding yet another radio protocol we're risking creating a true Babel tower and a wrath of God!

That's an issue with how a server dev has configured the particular Dynamic Mission Systems configs not an ARMA issue tbh

• Like 1

Random question: so yesterday there was an update that boosted the Promet's muzzle velocity above the MX's; what's the velocity of the Promet now (both the standard short-barreled one and the DMR variant)?

4 hours ago, the m said:

It would be great if the sawn off shotgun would be in the pistol slot. 

Would be cool to have shotgun as secondary, it is often seen, but it would required using a back slot. Caring shotgun, even cut off on your leg isn't a good idea and look very unprofessional.

Same thing with smg guns... but this is just slowly pushing Arma in to Call of Duty imo.