DnA

Contact Expansion Livonia Feedback

1 minute ago, oldbear said:

Some time ago BI Devs were sent to prison in Greece because some local politician wasn't happy that in the Armaverse, our playing ground universe were you can be revive after death and found unlimited ammo in a rather small box, on a Greek speaking island some guys turn into quislings.

It's not a real country, like Everon was looking  like Krk but wasn't a Croatian island because it's a gaming universe, using real life data in order to get accurate features and détails witch is a good thing when you create a playing ground in a realistic looking game such as Arma.

It's a game with a story about alien Contact, enjoy the show.

Its about name, not that its fiction or not. Its equivalent of taking name "Prussia" and doing same tricks with it, putting it in same size like Kalingrad and making it Polish. Its massive disrespect, atleast make up some fictional name if its a fictional country then. I dont think you know history of our countries so its disrespectful. Googling Livonia just like Prussia should have given the game developers all, but they didnt seem to care so i have doubts they didnt do it on purpose. Not sure what their goal is, but such shit should have been brought to a game

14 minutes ago, Rydygier said:

Well, can't speak for the others but I, as a Pole, would certainly appreciate absurdity of such choice and would enjoy it, no hard feelings for sure, it would be hilarious in a good way. But this says only, at least judging by me, it's not good analogy apparently. 

Also note, It is "done to my country" too, and I'm genuinely happy, that I can have some piece of Polish landscape in Arma even, if in the Armaverse they cut off part of my country to create Livonia. And Poland was under Partitions over a century, erased from the map this way. So how should I react? How dared they deprive Poland of part of its territory? Outrageous? Not at all. Because they didn't. They created a fiction made for fun indeed. 

That being said, it stroke me as kinda weird, they decided to use actual, historical name, not something made up. Remotely, but still, as we see, it poses some risk of touching someone's national pride. 

For you it may seems absurd and fun, because you know it would never happen. Little history class and its like putting salt to wound in our case. I dont really think this dlc is going to have much fans from baltic states, as we are taught history about our countries, but good fun for you

• Confused 4

Wouldn't mind a futuristic neo-prussia. Hmmm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, tsuks said:

Fun stuff. Should have called it Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth and shrinked it to that same place and made it Lithuanian or Latvian speaking country, would you have liked it? Some reacting laughing emojis, fun stuf for you but im not sure if you would be laughing if these same fictional situations would be done with your country and people. Massive disrespect from game developers and these people, such shit shouldnt have been brought to a game and i have doubts they didnt make it purposely. Googling Livonia shows all

Emojis are not from me, I'm not laughing at you. I take your opinion seriously. I'm Pole and the guys from BI, who working around Contact DLC too. We Poles, know how to value freedom and independence, even more then most people in EU. No need to explain me here anything.

Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth in Arma3? Hell YES! Best time in Polish and Lithuanian history, we were strong in that time.

This is what Arma is all about! We create some fictional scenarios and play around to see what happens and how things will go. This have nothing to be disrespectful to anyone. This is what all the armies and strategy planers do around the world. Some even put those crazy scenarios in live - just turn on your tv.

So you're telling me I should turn off my Arma, turn off tv and read some more books. I do read a lot.

If you saying that BI guys attacking Poland or Lithuania or Russia and trying to move the borders of countries - your are crazy. You should turn of your computer and stop playing computer games. At least for some time.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Glow said:

Emojis are not from me, I'm not laughing at you. I take your opinion seriously. I'm Pole and the guys from BI, who working around Contact DLC too. We Poles, know how to value freedom and independence, even more then most people in EU. No need to explain me here anything.

Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth in Arma3? Hell YES! Best time in Polish and Lithuanian history, we were strong in that time.

This is what Arma is all about! We create some fictional scenarios and play around to see what happens and how things will go. This have nothing to be disrespectful to anyone. This is what all the armies and strategy planers do around the world. Some even put those crazy scenarios in live - just turn on your tv.

So you're telling me I should turn off my Arma, turn off tv and read some more books. I do read a lot.

If you saying that BI guys attacking Poland or Lithuania or Russia and trying to move the borders of countries - your are crazy. You should turn of your computer and stop playing computer games. At least for some time.

For you everything is fun, absurd and acceptable when its done about you because you know such shit will never happen. Your history is perfect . For context Livonia (modern Latvia and Estonia) was thrown around west east south back and forth, constant wars and never free and independent, always under foreign power in history got free again 20 years ago and now to make such stuff like put us somewhere in Suwalki gap with size smaller than Kalingrad and make us Polish speaking is rlly disrespectful. All that info is reachable from google and i doubt they didnt research. If its fiction then make fiction country not put historical names. People in baltic states already take it with offense, just came to post here because one wondered if there are any people talking about it here.

According to Wikipedia: "The Livonian language is spoken by fewer than 100 individuals as a second language, and is understood to be fast approaching extinction."(Livonia)  Last native speaker died in 2013.  I suspect it would be rough to get voice actors. 

-k 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, tsuks said:

For you everything is fun, absurd and acceptable when its done about you because you know such shit will never happen. Your history is perfect . For context Livonia (modern Latvia and Estonia) was thrown around west east south back and forth, constant wars and never free and independent, always under foreign power in history got free again 20 years ago and now to make such stuff like put us somewhere in Suwalki gap with size smaller than Kalingrad and make us Polish speaking is rlly disrespectful. All that info is reachable from google and i doubt they didnt research. If its fiction then make fiction country not put historical names. People in baltic states already take it with offense, just came to post here because one wondered if there are any people talking about it here.

They didn't put you anywhere. Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia still exist in the Armaverse. No one moved you. You're still there. This is just a fictional country that decided to use the name of the region as their country name. And it makes sense for them to speak Polish. They're closer to Poland than they are to the Baltic states in this region.

Are you also upset that you've been forced to live in Michigan and speak English? Hear that? Michigan! You're right next to Detroit. (I don't really harbor any ill will towards MI or Detroit)
2333633-livonia-locator-map.jpg

I do kind of get your point and I do feel bad that you and others are upset by it though.

4 hours ago, tsuks said:

For you everything is fun, absurd and acceptable when its done about you because you know such shit will never happen.

II World War happen, atom bomb happen and how this stopping people around the world from making and watch movies or computer games, books - all about those events?  Some are even 100% lies and people don't ban those movies.

You looking at it from a wrong angle. Look at this from other side: now many people will hear about Livonia, so even if your are big sympathetic of Livonian you will find some people to start talk and educate about Livonia. Who they were and where they came from.

For context Livonia (modern Latvia and Estonia) was thrown around west east south back and forth, constant wars and never free and independent, always under foreign power in history got free again 20 years ago and now to make such stuff like put us somewhere in Suwalki gap with size smaller than Kalingrad and make us Polish speaking is rlly disrespectful.

So you considering your self Livonian?

Do I did all this to you or Livonian? This is fiction. Like USA been a Nazi country after losing IIWW in novel "King from High Castle" by P.K.Dick. Do American people fill offended by this novel - they made tv series based on it now.

All that info is reachable from google and i doubt they didnt research.

I'm sure they did, and they use all this to build a alternative history to this non existing country.

If its fiction then make fiction country not put historical names.

Why? How using historical names can be offensive? This is not distorting a history, this is alternative vision of it. Livonian are powerful in 2039, with own army, military vehicles and they own country.

But you right about names, till now we had Stratis, Altis - pure fictional. Even when everyone knew that those are Greek islands - that was safe BI approach. Now "some people" can say they have rights to name "Livonia" as a brand -  'cos their grandparents were Livonians for example.

People in baltic states already take it with offense, just came to post here because one wondered if there are any people talking about it here.

What people? Lithuanians? Estonians? Livonians?

10 hours ago, tsuks said:

All that info is reachable from google and i doubt they didnt research.

Just to let you know I add to whatever was said above by the others, I understand you. >1000 years of independence (even if highly disturbed) and 20 years of existence as a free state is totally different perspective. It's just your analogy was not good. Better would be that: 1920's-1930's, shortly after independence regain, after Polish-Soviet war, just after the borders of the country was settled, someone is depicting fictional II RP (Poland of that time) as much smaller, misplaced and Russian-speaking. I think, that could provoke similar or worse reaction of many Poles of that time. 

But knowing the numbers and facts is one thing, while looking from the perspective of someone personally affected by what they mean is quite another, more difficult to achieve (that's why you failed to give proper analogy and I do not blame you for that at all, because I understand, why was that). Who would after simple wiki fact check etc. think, how someone living on territory named once Livonia could possibly feel these times about the idea of such named country depicted in game (apart from real world modern counterparts, not instead, because "Baltic countries" are mentioned also). Maybe there's such a person, but I wouldn't, unless after prolonged afterthought focused specifically on this topic involving deep check, what they're actually teached in the school. But how would I get the idea to conduct such afterthought is beyond me. So, again, I do understand you, but only because you came and said, what you said. Earlier it wasn't a matter of consideration at all to me. 

So, IMHO this seems to be a consequence of somewhat risky decision to use an actual, historical name, as I said, but absolutelly not anyone's ill intent. Why they would "put salt into wounds" intentionally? To achieve what this way? Such suspicions are not in place here. 

6 hours ago, Glow said:

What people? Lithuanians? Estonians? Livonians?

And how many of them actually, that may be important here. Because next question is, even if devs will agree, this is actual problem, not just someone's exaggerated emotional reaction, what would they do about it now. Renaming? Technically probably not big problem, if Livonia name is used only in some texts. But if graphics are involved too, and who knows, even voice acting sessions done, then chances seem poor to me. Unless that may become an actual legal/PR issue. 

• Like 3

Maybe those windows in churches should be open? They will give great observation spot.

Spoiler

HLODo8O.png

T3p7d1R.png

9 minutes ago, OlegAckbar said:

Maybe those windows in churches should be open? They will give great observation spot.

Hide contents

HLODo8O.png

T3p7d1R.png

You can open and close every single one of them manually 😀

2 minutes ago, the_one_and_only_Venator said:

You can open and close every single one of them manually 😀

Hah, indeed

[3141.87,6824.71,0.00143814]

Signpost in the road in the village of Adamow, instead of along side the road like the giveway sign next to it. 🙂

On 6/20/2019 at 10:28 PM, tsuks said:

You're right, they should've just made Livonia (or Livland) still part of the greater Swedish empire and/or the Kalmar union like it's supposed to be. Instead of Polish or Estonian etc. everyone should be speaking Swedish, would've definitely been better.  

• Haha 4

Another sound issue for the devs: loud popping (left channel) at the end of the ambient daytime cricket sample.

Seriously guys, I hope you get some time to go over the audio issues which are distracting to say the least.

• Thanks 2

I am not sure if it is allowed to ask but any ETA on Livonian buildings made alien proof by downsizing so the 'car-sized entities' won't enter and murder you while you sleep? Those big windows and doors are... quite unsettling...

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ISparkle said:

I am not sure if it is allowed to ask but any ETA on Livonian buildings made alien proof by downsizing so the 'car-sized entities' won't enter and murder you while you sleep? Those big windows and doors are... quite unsettling...

It was the aliens having sized up the building for that reason 😂😂

• Haha 1

On 6/21/2019 at 2:22 AM, Rydygier said:

And how many of them actually, that may be important here. Because next question is, even if devs will agree, this is actual problem, not just someone's exaggerated emotional reaction, what would they do about it now. Renaming? Technically probably not big problem, if Livonia name is used only in some texts. But if graphics are involved too, and who knows, even voice acting sessions done, then chances seem poor to me. Unless that may become an actual legal/PR issue. 

As a compromise, I propose that the map be renamed "Macedonia".

• Like 1

It's one guy complaining. Nothing will change.

22 hours ago, ISparkle said:

I haven't heard of any promise on this by BI. Did they say something about this? Unless otherwise stated, they are probably reluctant to change the sizes because of the work on an almost complete map. Resizing It is more difficult than running a little script on each building on the map. To be honest this is my biggest worry for the DLC; that not getting used to the oversized buildings will kinda lead me to sticking to the other maps.. which would be unfortunate for all the effort that went into the new map.

37 minutes ago, joostsidy said:

I haven't heard of any promise on this by BI. Did they say something about this? Unless otherwise stated, they are probably reluctant to change the sizes because of the work on an almost complete map. Resizing It is more difficult than running a little script on each building on the map. To be honest this is my biggest worry for the DLC; that not getting used to the oversized buildings will kinda lead me to sticking to the other maps.. which would be unfortunate for all the effort that went into the new map.

Yeah, the oversized building is the reason why I cannot build a mission template on it. A bit immersion breaking. I am not really sure if they will actually do the resizing or not.

• Like 1