DnA

Contact Expansion Livonia Feedback

9 hours ago, jakerod said:

When you say accurate forestry what do you mean exactly?

There are various stages of forest management present....

Spoiler

Clearings

Zj1R5I9.jpg

Reforestation

KvJAPEq.jpg

zxMI52o.jpg

Evidence of forest dynamics, in this case forest disturbance

NTERQS0.jpg

I'm a forester on an estate in Scotland and would regard this as fairly "accurate" depictions of forestry. :rthumb:

• Like 12

17 hours ago, EO said:

Could you clarify if small object placement is complete on Livonia.

According to the team it's partly intentional for having been abandoned as military area for a long time, but they are going to take a look at the areas to see what small additions might make sense. Thanks for the pinpointed areas. Meanwhile internal QA is still going over many sectors, but the extra reports in this thread for misplaced objects are very useful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, EO said:

There are various stages of forest management present....

Thank you! I make terrains and just wanted to make sure I was doing things right. 

I'm a forester on an estate in Scotland and would regard this as fairly "accurate" depictions of forestry.

I do hope you had a chance to talk to Bushlurker when he was around. He would have loved talking to you!

• Like 1

Sice I had a first peek at this terrain and the riverine area in particular, the term: "deployable bridge" is spooking my mind all day and night. This would be ideal, even as a solely placable editor object. Particulary so because I build some of that deployable bridge sections by hand, back then in my time at KMW, so i naturally have an proffesional addiction to deployable bridge system LEGUAN.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Beagle said:

Sice I had a first peek at this terrain and the riverine area in particular, the term: "deployable bridge" is spooking my mind all day and night. This would be ideal, even as a solely placable editor object. Particulary so because I build some of that deployable bridge sections by hand, back then in my time at KMW, so i naturally have an proffesional addiction to deployable bridge system LEGUAN.

Your 'addiction to deployable bridge system' and 'deployable bridge is spooking my mind all day and night' is the perfect mindset for an aspiring mod creator to provide the perseverance to complete a specialized mod for the community. 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joostsidy said:

Your 'addiction to deployable bridge system' and 'deployable bridge is spooking my mind all day and night' is the perfect mindset for an aspiring mod creator to provide the perseverance to complete a specialized mod for the community. 😉

Just because I build them in real life does not mean I'm able to make one as a working ArmA mod. That requires a different toolset and much less aluminium sheet metal. 😉

• Like 1

@reyhard I love you! 

Tweaked: Geometry of Barn (Brick)

Spoiler

UXZNyOJ.jpg?1

The one downside I noticed is that it's possible to fall through the floor a few steps in front of the picture above. There's a small gap between the two sides (left and right in picture) and if you walk over it slowly and at the right angle you fall through. It's definitely too small to be able to allow that realistically. But again, thank you for adding it! I really appreciate it!

• Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 5:49 PM, Groove_C said:

@jakerod Nogova ❤️

Not official terrains, but contain what I would consider rivers. Some were of official quality (imo).

Chernobyl zone
grozny
fsf jungle
favslev
prypiat
sbrodj/sbrodjistan + winter
opbarra
Helmand Valley
Faysh Khabur
Oruzgan Province
Terra Atormentada
Rugen
IIha Marrom (unfinished)

Podagorsk
Panthera
Zernovo
Celle
Merderet River + winter
Fapova
Isla Duala
Lingor + Dingor
Tropica
Clafghan
Esbekistan
Vietnam mbg
Tigeria + special
Hunters Valley
Sangin + winter

After that there are many VTE terrains that have rivers, or could be considered rivers. Plus many other terrains have rivers too.

These above were just some me and a couple of friends could think of. It's interesting topic terrains, not talked about often enough.

I have over 300 terrains (iirc) or so, without A3 terrains. So I would imagine there are a lot more rivers knocking around.

Note: One or two could be considered Straits, but all are navigable (to a degree).

4 hours ago, chrisb said:

Not official terrains, but contain what I would consider rivers. Some were of official quality (imo).

After that there are many VTE terrains that have rivers, or could be considered rivers. Plus many other terrains have rivers too.

These above were just some me and a couple of friends could think of. It's interesting topic terrains, not talked about often enough.

I have over 300 terrains (iirc) or so, without A3 terrains. So I would imagine there are a lot more rivers knocking around.

Note: One or two could be considered Straits, but all are navigable (to a degree).

Yeah there were definitely modded ones with rivers. Some of my first OFP terrains I made (but never finished) had them and four of my Arma 2 ones as well (CWR2 Eilte, GSEP Zernovo, CWR2 Saint David, GSEP Miroslavl'). But I meant official BI ones. I'm happy to have one now although it would be nice if the AI understood bridges better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jakerod said:

Yeah there were definitely modded ones with rivers. Some of my first OFP terrains I made (but never finished) had them and four of my Arma 2 ones as well (CWR2 Eilte, GSEP Zernovo, CWR2 Saint David, GSEP Miroslavl'). But I meant official BI ones. I'm happy to have one now although it would be nice if the AI understood bridges better.

Yep, you made some nice terrains.

Just put some of them up there in a list, if anyone fancies a boat trip. The ai can manage a few of them too. Many are still well used.

On Livonia map, mushrooms in forest have heat and can be see with thermal optics. A bug?

45 minutes ago, CaptainDawson said:

WHEREARETHECAVES.

No one ever said there were caves. They said there's an underground network which does not mean caves and is probably just a story point about alien internet or something.

• Like 1

It's rather difficult to get caves in Arma due to the ways the RV Engine manages terrain and light.

Namalsk underground structure is one of the best example of what is possible to achieve on one terrain.

From what I understand, ATM , there are 2 ways to go underground :

- build a large object and set it in a large hole created on the ground surface,

- build an other night terrain/structure you can teleport from a "door".

In any case the AI management will be a nightmare because of the pathfinding issues.

Have a look at CYTECH INDUSTRIES - [WIP] Underground Terrain

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2019 at 2:11 AM, jakerod said:

The one downside I noticed is that it's possible to fall through the floor a few steps in front of the picture above. There's a small gap between the two sides (left and right in picture) and if you walk over it slowly and at the right angle you fall through. It's definitely too small to be able to allow that realistically. But again, thank you for adding it! I really appreciate it!

Well, I think it's wide enough to fall down and I wanted to avoid situations like this - https://imgur.com/a/hGVtNNU

I tweaked roadway LOD once again a little bit though so it should be more forgiving when it comes to falling down through that hole

• Like 1

why location name "mil" is doesn't have localized? any other same "brown location name" has localized but that's doesn't.

or just leaving it as it is with source language due to use in campaign like as Port Blue Pearl?

I know this will be an another hard work for developers, but is there any possibility to develop winter version, since Poland irl is very often covered with snow in winter?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jakerod said:

No one ever said there were caves. They said there's an underground network which does not mean caves and is probably just a story point about alien internet or something.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cave

An underground network is like a cave. If it's not there in the map after they so specifically mentioned it on the Steam page then there will be more disappointment. That's what I'm referencing.

lel, the moment I read that line on the store page, I knew people will misinterpret it and get angry about a lack of real tunnel to walk through.

Fun fact: Arma(3) can't do tunnels. It just doesn't look good, the AI can't even walk through normal houses effectively, and BI sure as hell won't have this engine issue sorted out with the Contact DLC while almost all programmers have moved on to other things. Folks expecting real tunnels... are just making it clear how little they know about the engine.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CaptainDawson said:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cave

An underground network is like a cave. If it's not there in the map after they so specifically mentioned it on the Steam page then there will be more disappointment. That's what I'm referencing.

Depending on the first language of whoever wrote that... In colloquial English, underground can mean hidden or discreet, sometimes it means borderline illegal. It doesn't necessarily mean subterranean. For example, in debates on abortion, it's said that restricting abortion might 'drive it underground' by which they mean more abortion might be carried out unlicensed, rather than in a tunnel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lexx said:

Fun fact: Arma(3) can't do tunnels. It just doesn't look good, the AI can't even walk through normal houses effectively, and BI sure as hell won't have this engine issue sorted out with the Contact DLC while almost all programmers have moved on to other things. Folks expecting real tunnels... are just making it clear how little they know about the engine.

There are several modded maps I can think of which have a range of small to large caves, tunnels, or bunkers made using workarounds. Even in the stock maps there are several small caves, and there is no reason a couple small tunnels couldn't be made even using the existing placement of boulders on Livonia. Sure maybe the AI path doesn't work right, but it doesn't work on the USS Liberty and I managed to find a workaround myself with a little trial and error. People are justifiably annoyed when many mods still have better content than some of the official counterparts they're expected to pay for.  Our expectations from a expansion or dlc are formed based on what we read on the Steam page. So actually yes, I guess we do know little, because expectation rarely matches reality.

2 hours ago, Tankbuster said:

Depending on the first language of whoever wrote that... In colloquial English, underground can mean hidden or discreet, sometimes it means borderline illegal. It doesn't necessarily mean subterranean. For example, in debates on abortion, it's said that restricting abortion might 'drive it underground' by which they mean more abortion might be carried out unlicensed, rather than in a tunnel.

So you're suggesting that the tunnels could be illegal... that still sounds more plausible than it not being possible 😕

7 minutes ago, CaptainDawson said:

So you're suggesting that the tunnels could be illegal... that still sounds more plausible than it not being possible 😕

No. I'm not saying that at all. "Underground" MIGHT be a figure of speech that actually means hidden.

Let's not forget this game engine doesn't do underground at all well (VBS3 is another thing altogether). That's another reason to suggest the underground mentioned here is not subterranean.

• Like 1

Just now, Tankbuster said:

No. I'm not saying that at all. "Underground" MIGHT be a figure of speech that actually means hidden.

Let's not forget this game engine doesn't do underground at all well (VBS3 is another thing altogether). That's another reason to suggest the underground mentioned here is not subterranean.

Ok I see what you're saying. It still think it's more likely that it is a just plot point of course, but if what you said is true that would be much better.

3 minutes ago, CaptainDawson said:

Ok I see what you're saying. It still think it's more likely that it is a just plot point of course, but if what you said is true that would be much better.

Yes, I'm sure it's just plot. Also note that 'underground' can mean a resistance force, perhaps guerillas.

I can't actually find the mention of underground anyway.

• Like 1