Changelog:

v2.02.1 - Fixed: Vehicles relative position was being wrongfully checked according to their internal direction. Improves overall traffic and convoy behaviour.
                  Tweaked: Added one more distance check increasing pedestrians safety.
                  Tweaked: Give way right traffic timeout increased from 10 to 30 seconds.
                  Tweaked: Minimum scan radius increased to 50 meters.

- -

Hello everybody, I hope 2nd line helps with running people over a little less. This is kind of an important update.

If you're having terminal issues please report them in. Thanks.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Changelog:

v2.02.2 - Hotfix: Vehicles weren't resuming after opening gates.

• Like 2

Ran the latest version and just saw a tank (test5) run over 2 solders  😞   This was on a local machine.

Also seen soldiers are still walking into moving vehicles and getting run over (test1).  You may need to do a test off the sides of the vehicles too RAC3.  Dont know how this is going to affect vehicles passing troops.

Honestly this bloody stupid AI is a nightmare.  Won't be a supporter of next Arma version until I see completely revamped AI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@kremator Hey man, thanks for the tests and reports.

Yea, infantry moving into vehicles is a problem but I can't be controlling the pedestrians. There's a certain threshold (boundingbox) that if they pass, there's nothing I can do, they simply don't exist to that vehicle anymore and get run over. Scanning of the sides is also pretty much impossible because I would have to recalculate twice.

You can't expect perfection from Arma AI 😄 you gotta roll with the punches. This tries to mitigate accidents and does so imho between 80%-90% of cases but there will always be casualties here and there.

Those tests are also all on roads, where AI will always try to pass unless in direct front, so account for that. Offroad you'll see it's safer for pedestrians.

@lex__1

1 hour ago, lex__1 said:

Sorry that this is in the wrong branch, it is necessary to get the full picture - how it works in the sum.

I don't see it but if you think it's relevant it's ok 🙂

Would there be a way of scanning for people around a vehicle and pushing them away (setspeed, setdir etc)?  Or would that be too expensive in terms of cycles ?

That would be definitely impossible. Imagine there's two cars detecting same person... 😙 Besides possible locality issues and whatever else.

What I will do is remove the front scanning position and test out from the center of the vehicle. We'll see how that goes. Possible angles/distances screw up but I'll try it.

• Like 1

Cheers RCA3  

Thanks a lot for your effort,  we are using your addon in our warfare server since few days and the number of  "road accidents" are really reduced to just few random episodes, instead   without it was a total disaster,   killer supply truck that just run over other vehicles  without mercy, so thanks you saved us a lot of rage against BIS hehehe

I would like to ask if you can please sign the addon with a progressive key so we can be sure that everybody is using last version, since no steam auto update will be great to have a key that update each version you release, it's just a little bit hassle for you but a good thing for users.

Great Job!

Rubber

• Thanks 1

Such a nice comment, thank you so much.

As for a progressive key you'll have to explain to me what that is 😁 I build the addon every time from fresh with the BI tool Addon Builder, and it's also pointing to the key file on options.

You mean creating a new key each time? I guess you do... Wouldn't be worse for users to update their key each time too? Nevermind, keys are for servers 😛

I'm just worried if I change the key every time, all server owners will have to update the key too. Is that common practice?

• Thanks 1

I can't say it's a common practice but for example CBA does that, and   I do that as well  cos a version mismatch could not work/load  or create issues in mycase sever/client need to be in sync,   your addon as you stated will not go on steam so need to be manually updated :) 

I do browse Armaholic daily to see new addons and contents and I noticed you update your addon 3 times in last few days, so what I do is copy your updated folder by ftp on server and when I do this operation if I should copy the new key would be just 1 more file to copy in the key folder not a big deal  :)

I am thinking about using the addon also server side,  I didn't use till now cos warfare got a lot of AI controlled by server and I am afraid that there could be a general FPS drop, but at least one time I want to try and see what happens.

The only thing your addon made bit harder is the 180° turn by supply truck in town, I guess it's related to the proximity scan for obstacles, without the addon or using vcom ai driving the truck where able to perform a 180° turn on the road,  with your addon they struggle a bit more it's like they are afraid to scratch the painting of vehicle so they perfor short and slow adjustments that lead in long time to perform the 180 :)   I still prefer to struggle in that  than have a road waky race like dik dastardly hehe

• Like 1

OK, man. I'll update the key from now on 🙂

It's strange you're getting that behaviour from the truck unless there's people or manned vehicles around, otherwise it should  be on full speed 😉 "Script uses nearEntities to find vehicles/men".

One note, addon only runs on drivers, so, if the AI is on foot or the vehicles are empty, there's no performance hit (uses getIn eventHandler).

Cheers.

nice I'll put on server too and I let you know.

About the 180 turn maybe the slowdown/mess happens if the truck are too close each others in the column, I need to try with 1 truck at time to see if they turn without problems.

about the progressive key, I can say  it's a common practice on all addon that can cause trouble with a mismatch, for example  CUP, RHS, and islands I see they all use a progressive key version.  

Thanks again,  your work gives really more brain to the drivers... did you just set the alchool in blood level on lower %  hehehe

Yeah, you didn't mention multiple trucks, that explains it.

Yeah, they are definitely soberer. They were so drunk they couldn't find the brake pedal 😁

@kremator

So, I tried scanning from the center of the vehicle and is incompatible with the frame of the script. Basically it would have to be rewritten. Sorry about that, it's gonna have to stay as it is.

• Like 2

Changelog:

v2.3 - Changed: Passed main function and parts of code to CfgFunctions.
            Changed: Code optimized when vehicle is stopped by vehicle/man ahead to ~0.19ms (benchmark) no matter how many vehicles/men around.
            Changed: Optimized vehicles array sorting.
            Changed: Vehicles stop on initialization while scanning for bargates.
            Changed: Engine off on idle moved to separate FSM resulting on optimization to ~0.37ms (benchmark) for 10x men/cars scan.
            Tweaked: Optimized main branch.
            Fixed: On road vehicles were evaluating offroad vehicles.
            Removed: Unnecessary BIS_fnc_getAngleDelta call removed.
            Removed: Duplicated getDir removed.
            Tweaked: Front buffer increased by 5 meters.
            Tweaked: Give way right traffic timeout decreased back to 10 seconds.
            Added: New server key.

Edit:

v2.3.1 - Hotfix: FSM was running on every vehicle's passenger.

Edited by RCA3
Hotfix
  • Like 2

I was just wondering how this would cooperate with a vehicle spawn script, like Engima? They all seem to have the problems you have fixed in your script.

May I also ask whether the mod could work in script form please?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, anfo said:

I was just wondering how this would cooperate with a vehicle spawn script, like Engima? They all seem to have the problems you have fixed in your script.

May I also ask whether the mod could work in script form please?

Hi, I use Engima myself and the addon picks up the vehicles normally. I just use this line on parameters: ["ON_UNIT_CREATED", {(_this select 0) limitSpeed 70}]. The addon does the rest.

What problems are you getting (this were pretty much only performance issues fixed lately)?

Script version is already written and soon to be released along with new addon version (with much improved traffic). It will add 1 second loop to check for new vehicles from Zeus, Engima, etc. so it will also work for you.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, RCA3 said:

What problems are you getting (this were pretty much only performance issues fixed lately)?

Oh, Sorry. I've been vague. I haven't used your mod yet, but was interested to see if it could be converted into a script from the mod. Good to hear about Engima and ironically:

["ON_UNIT_CREATED", {(_this select 0) limitSpeed 70}].

was something I remember doing to try and avoid inevitable car crashes from AI driving too fast. 😄 So far your script is the only real representation that fatalities can be vastly reduced which is what I am very interested in.

• Like 1

Changelog:
v2.4 - Added: New timeout system which starts only if crossing vehicle ahead is not moving. Results in much smoother traffic.
            Fixed: Oncoming traffic was being evaluated as crossing (delaying traffic). Oncoming traffic vehicle rotation is now <45º, more is considered crossing.
            Released: Script version.

- -

To show you how much this version is improved I made you two new videos (enjoy, particularly the vehicles only demo):

Spoiler

Vehicles only demo

Vehicles and pedestrians demo

Also the script version is released:

License slightly updated to allow uploads. Details inside the folder.

Installation instructions also inside the folder.

It's working with Zeus, single player and dedicated.

For other spawning scripts there's instructions also on folder but it's just: null = (vehicle) execVM "aidrivingcontrol\init.sqf";

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Changelog:

v2.4.1 - Added: A 360 degrees "bounding box" around vehicle which detects pedestrians and stops the vehicle.
                Tweaked: Increased/improved pedestrians overtake speed.
                Tweaked: Minor tweak to scan radius.
                Fixed: Gates being detected outside of range.
                Fixed: Animals were being evaluated as men.
                Changed: Script version installation and respective notes.

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G5kEv3umjMCP0zRmkOWn5VXAr504WfOt

This shall be a legacy version as it will be the last (for now at least) with micromanagement versus pedestrians (read v2.5 changelog).

• Like 2

Changelog:

v2.5 - Changed: Vehicle versus pedestrians speed is now dynamically calculated.
            Removed: Pedestrians's military/civilian discrimination.
            Removed: Pedestrians's on/off road discrimination.

• Like 3

Thanks for the new version.  It still seems like a 'thing' that AI will continue to plough into vehicles right in front of them (without either stopping or going around initially)  Is this just another stupid AI problem or can it be potentially solved ?

• Like 1

@kremator

The entire purpose of the script (pedestrians side) is to stop exactly that.

They should slow down first and stop when men are near (now even at 360º).

You deduct that from the video or you tested it yourself?

If you tested it, beware that speed will always be the enemy of this script, a man running full speed dead on onto a vehicle at full speed will probably result on a kill.

If you say that from the video, all I see is them running over people when they are reversing, and that is beyond my control. ForceSpeed apparently only works forward.

@RCA3

Bit off topic, but here's a challenge for you RCA. Make a "pedestrian control" script. Stop pedestrians from doing all the crazy suicidal things they can be prone to do. Like walking off building tops, walking into weapon fire etc. Or is Arma path finding too broken for that 🤣

1 hour ago, anfo said:

@RCA3

Bit off topic, but here's a challenge for you RCA. Make a "pedestrian control" script. Stop pedestrians from doing all the crazy suicidal things they can be prone to do. Like walking off building tops, walking into weapon fire etc. Or is Arma path finding too broken for that 🤣

🙂

Appreciate the challenge, it's just a bit out of my range i'm afraid.

As far as I know, Arma path finding is not open to the public (I might be wrong though) thus being so hard to edit.