EO

Arma 3 DLC - CONTACT

8 minutes ago, x3kj said:

development also costs depending on where its developed... cost of living is higher in netherlands than czech republic or thailand, so employees will need more pay.

And that's why BI have studios in those countries. Black Element is nothing more than an asset factory - it's not a secret that Far East is full of talented 2D/3D artists who are paid less than their western colleagues. BIS Prague seems to be focused more on the code aspect of the product, and BIS Netherlands is mostly about content such as missions/game modes. Remember that all studios co-operate: from my understanding new art for almost every DLC since Apex (excluding Jets) was made by Black Element (dead BE website contained pictures of assets later used in Apex, DayZ standalone and LoW).

5 minutes ago, target_practice said:

Also what is this disaster thing you refer to, and what publisher? BIS published it themselves.

I think he refers to the arrest of Mr Buchta and Mr Pezlar. Also I remember BI saying that they went Steam-only way, because Steam provided additional funding and advertisement (and a strict deadline). So it seems that Arma 3 wasn't completely self-published (apparently Valve gives additional perks to those devs who are producing content exclusively for Steam platform).

Oh yes I remember that. Doesn't explain why they didn't add it post-launch though. Perhaps they felt a major change to mechanics at that stage would be too disruptive to many things.

If they're not updating platform I'd really like them to move to full scale ARMA 4 dev, which is not happening now I understand. I don't see them delivering ground breaking first party stuff with ARMA 3 today without using gimmicks like community modders do(some could constitute "platform upgrade" on their own I guess). Hard for me to get excited about any further development if you can call their milking projects that. If ARMA 3 dev timeline was anything to go by it is going to be quite a wait for ARMA 4 if there will be one at all.

So can someone enlighten me, is it potentially possible for them to substantially improve how AI perceive the game environment by optimizing software(move to the new Enfusion engine everyone's so hyped about?), with the CPU power we have today or short term future? I personally think if they want to up the content a notch in the future they will have to tackle the hard problem sooner or later. I'm not one familiar with the more technical subjects so excuse me if I didn't term thing accurately.

30 minutes ago, mmm said:

If they're not updating platform I'd really like them to move to full scale ARMA 4 dev, which is not happening now I understand. [...]

So can someone enlighten me, is it potentially possible for them to substantially improve how AI perceive the game environment by optimizing software(move to the new Enfusion engine everyone's so hyped about?), with the CPU power we have today or short term future? I personally think if they want to up the content a notch in the future they will have to tackle the hard problem sooner or later. I'm not one familiar with the more technical subjects so excuse me if I didn't term thing accurately.

mission developers cant develop missions if they have no tools for the new engine to do that. Or gameplay ...

No you cant substantially improve AI by switching engine. You can improve AI by dedicating a lot of "coder resources" to it (those who are busy with whatever comes after A3) You need better algorithms for better decision making. Not more computing power (doesnt hurt but is not the strictly limiting factor...)

Every game dev struggle a lot with AI.

To be fair, ArmA 3 AI is not the worst.

A few things need to be fixed though:

• Terminator accuracy
  • Pathfinding - especially with vehicles
  • All knowing (which prevents stealth approach)

Some other things (not AI related) that need fixes (but never will be) is that AI can take so much damages before going down.

AI pb is not a real issue to make good missions though.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Wiki said:

Every game dev struggle a lot with AI.

To be fair, ArmA 3 AI is not the worst.

A few things need to be fixed though:

• Terminator accuracy
  • Pathfinding - especially with vehicles
  • All knowing (which prevents stealth approach)

Some other things (not AI related) that need fixes (but never will be) is that AI can take so much damages before going down.

AI pb is not a real issue to make good missions though.

Haven't had all knowing, almost always headshotting AI like those in alpha for a while. AI definitely isn't all knowing and not hitting you 100% of the time even at 100% skill everything unlike in the past. AIs are super easy to sneak up now more than ever. Pathfinding is better than what it used to be but still very much lacking as AI still like to run into things or stop all together. So, pathfinding I think needs to be looked at first.

On 6/2/2019 at 5:18 AM, ISparkle said:

Haven't had all knowing, almost always headshotting AI like those in alpha for a while. AI definitely isn't all knowing

Put a group of 2 or 3 guys and 100 or 200m from each other.

Take out 1 guy while stealth:

they will know the guy is out.

Or

Suit up whith ghillie suit and suppressed weapon.

Put a patrol and take out 1 guy:

they will be aware the guy is killed + where the shot came from and they will engage you.

• Like 2

AI groups always know instantly when someone is killed, but they don't know the player / killers position.

11 hours ago, Wiki said:

Put a group of 2 or 3 guys and 100 or 200m from each other.

Take out 1 guy while stealth:

they will know the guy is out.

Or

Suit up whith ghillie suit and suppressed weapon.

Put a patrol and take out 1 guy:

they will be aware the guy is killed + where the shot came from and they will engage you.

They will know when a member of their group is killed. They share the knowledge instantly of whereabouts of enemy if they know where the enemy is. I haven't had them snap to my position and headshot me in return in a while if I am well concealed. Or even behind the bushes.

Also, 100m or 200m... it all depends on whether you are suppressed or not and your distance to them. ArmA 3 AI as is, they rely on visual and audio clues. At least that is my impression.

11 hours ago, lexx said:

AI groups always know instantly when someone is killed, but they don't know the player / killers position.

Yep. They don't know the pos immediately. I can confirm this.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 6/5/2019 at 8:29 AM, ISparkle said:

They will know when a member of their group is killed. They share the knowledge instantly of whereabouts of enemy if they know where the enemy is. I haven't had them snap to my position and headshot me in return in a while if I am well concealed. Or even behind the bushes.

Also, 100m or 200m... it all depends on whether you are suppressed or not and your distance to them. ArmA 3 AI as is, they rely on visual and audio clues. At least that is my impression.

Yep. They don't know the pos immediately. I can confirm this.

Also, from what I've noticed, the AI recognizes your ammo too, a suppressed weapon without subsonic rounds won't do too much good.

why not the russians in csat suit with  partizan camo

wwdz6v.jpg

• Like 1

I wonder how the AI will pass that river ?

If a mixed AI squad will pass a bridge it always ends up in a mess.

AI should not move in formations when there is a bridge.

The terrain will surely work with coops or SP missions but in MP with AI´s this will be a game breaker.

Did someone test this yet ?

54 minutes ago, Muecke said:

The terrain will surely work with coops or SP missions but in MP with AI´s this will be a game breaker.

All the terrains unfortunately have parts that are practically unusable by AI, for instance Tanoa has many beautiful rock outcrops that AI infantry can't navigate. These are technical AI and game limitations that won't be solved in A3. The terrain creators had a choice of making maps AI friendly but bland or more ambitious but with parts that are stretching the limits of the game.

A mixed AI squad will definitely have trouble passing bridges, for starters you should switch them to column formation, they will not do this automatically.

1 hour ago, zukov said:

I hope not. The CSAT suits are neither good looking nor anyway "cool". Somethign in the style of "Gorka" with fitting ballistic vest is better.

• Like 1

"international Astra scientists"  naturally they have a Contractors / bodyguards and so on...... immediatly port of MI 24 super Hind! a civilian version of the land rover SF...........

On 6/8/2019 at 10:30 AM, EO said:

The sound of this Spectrum Device is very important!

I like those movement detectors from Aliens 2 movie. 20% of tool and 80% of spooky-horror situation builder, 'cos the sound of it.

Spectrum Device is probably ready at this point, so... but if I would suggest to use a little bit more spooky sounds, not stay to realistic with it.

Maybe some more analog sounds like those coming from theremin instrument.

• Like 2

Very cool... the fact that we can tune into different frequencies and do things with it... 

On 6/9/2019 at 4:18 PM, Broseph_Stalin90 said:

Also, from what I've noticed, the AI recognizes your ammo too, a suppressed weapon without subsonic rounds won't do too much good.

I have never had issues with suppressed weapons. I've used vanila weapons with and without suppressors for a while and vanilla game weapons do not have subsonic rounds. Suppressors do make a huge differences that I can observe. Same goes for most mod weapons. I know for sure RHS and SMA weapons with suppressors work very well to the point I feel it is very unfair to the AIs (lol). I think one of the weapons mods you might be running could be the culprit of that tbh. 

23 hours ago, zukov said:

wwdz6v.jpg

If I remember, Russia only sells vehicles and weapons to CSAT. They are not part of CSAT in the lore afaik. Makes sense for them to not use CSAT uniform.

6 hours ago, ISparkle said:

If I remember, Russia only sells vehicles and weapons to CSAT. They are not part of CSAT in the lore afaik. Makes sense for them to not use CSAT uniform.

Upcoming Contact DLC with the First Contact camp can change that:

2AA6D00C9BB93400935815302356028FF1090511

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glow said:

Upcoming Contact DLC with the First Contact camp can change that:

2AA6D00C9BB93400935815302356028FF1090511

It says Russia will vote on membership. Unless that newspaper is quite dated from the date Contact campaign takes place, it still wouldn't be a CSAT since they had set the major vote date on the membership on some date of 2039. But one thing probably for sure is that they will be competing with NATO for alien goodies.

• Like 1

• Like 4

That little robodude is going to be a lot of fun I reckon...

Small observation by the way : I think remote control of drones deserves its own animation, rather than the generic "gear" anim. Seing the operator actually using his control pad would be a nice touch.

• Like 4

When will the SP campaign available in dev?