- ArmA 4

- Enfusion Engine

- 80's setting

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

Alien Expansion. 👽

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Moon_chilD said:

And (as I've just been informed by) Arma 3 started as a futuristic sci-fi game and only late in the development was changed to military simulation!

Mondkalb posted this interesting fact on Discord earlier today...

thats why all addon files are tagged with _F

it stands for "Futura", the original working title.

It was way more funky space alien stuff than CSAT.

• Like 3

Yeah, heard about Arma Futura just a few minutes ago. 
But...HOLY SH*T. Finally I know why this stupid _F is everywhere. (I mean, I never got curious enough to look it up...but still)

• Like 2

Clearly it will involve big, round - jiggly assets.

Spoiler

IWlbpfw.jpg

So it's clearly not a DLC but something similar to Apex? 

Ahh ah! Wild speculation commence!

From the 2018 Roadmap:

Lastly, our small studio in Amsterdam, which previously led the development of Laws of War DLC, is currently working on a new experimental project. This will still make use of the Arma 3 platform, but intends to take things into a very, very different direction.

Nov 2018 Update:

Our team in Amsterdam, which oversaw the development of Laws of War DLC, is now leading the development of a new project, produced in strong collaboration with our other Bohemian teams. This project is still built on top of the Arma 3 platform but will do something a bit… unusual. It should also bring along some big new assets that all Arma 3 players will be sure to enjoy

I seem to recall the project being referred to as 'mini expansion', somewhere between the size of Karts and Helicopters, though I can't find the reference... I'd be wary of nailing down the terminology.

From the teaser:

'Alchemist'

'Sapphire'

'Phase Line'

'Stay Tuned'

Does sound kinda Sciencey...

The mention of scientists in those .rtp files on reddit has me thinking that props-wise, there could be 'science stuff' to put in those big old empty domes.

Meteorite impact on Altis maybe?

• Like 2

God I hope its not something dumb like Aliens. 😄

In all seriousness Im hoping for a new map if its an expansion.

• Like 11

mERC57u.jpg

But yeah, my money's on a mysterious CBRN attack a la East Wind device.

Has CSAT made 'contact' of a third kind, or is their technology just much more advanced than we thought? You better stay indoors until we know more.

• Like 5
  • Haha 15

3 hours ago, EO said:

No official threads on the forum yet, so let's speculate!

I really hope that the quality of the new and missions will be at the level of the laws of war. Unlike GM mod.

2 hours ago, papanowel said:

So it's clearly not a DLC but something similar to Apex? 

not sure if i follow you there....

APEX was a DLC....

....APEX was an Expansion.

• Like 12

Likely they just forgot some armchairs...

4A86EDD98FB00970FA30A15D8841532FF79EE274

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I think it might be radio stuff, like acre. The static gets more prominent when the white line starts moving, making me think of frequency settings, especially because there is some squeaking when that happens.

Edit: I think that it might also just be an expansion for tactical stuff or high command, having stuff like phase lines for ai or multiplayer.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, WombatInCombat said:

I think it might be radio stuff, like acre. The static gets more prominent when the white line starts moving, making me think of frequency settings, especially because there is some squeaking when that happens.

Edit: I think that it might also just be an expansion for tactical stuff or high command, having stuff like phase lines for ai or multiplayer.

As much as I appreciate the efforts by the TeamSpeak and ACRE teams, it would be great if you were right @WombatInCombat to have these mods as a vanilla feature.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Electricleash said:

Ahh ah! Wild speculation commence!

From the 2018 Roadmap:

Nov 2018 Update:

I seem to recall the project being referred to as 'mini expansion', somewhere between the size of Karts and Helicopters, though I can't find the reference... I'd be wary of nailing down the terminology.

From the teaser:

'Alchemist'

'Sapphire'

'Phase Line'

'Stay Tuned'

Does sound kinda Sciencey...

The mention of scientists in those .rtp files on reddit has me thinking that props-wise, there could be 'science stuff' to put in those big old empty domes.

Meteorite impact on Altis maybe?

The trailer title says "Expansion", which is a term historically used for large updates like Apex, smaller items being "DLC". They could break tradition, though.

Personally, I expect science-y or alien-y content as well. But let's not read too much into it.

Alchemist and Sapphire are callsigns. Military callsigns are often "dictionary picks", or have indirect meanings. "Alchemist" could be a commander who's trained as a chemist, for example, or it could be a unit working with explosives. (Or it could be NBC...)

"Phase line" isn't science-related at all. It's a military term referring to a line drawn on a map. An operation might have several "phase lines", which the participating units move to during each phase of the op, to keep from advancing too far ahead of each other.

"Stay tuned" literally just means "keep listening", as in "stay tuned to this radio or TV frequency". It's a common phrase, especially in Arma's military context (lots of radio use).

So there's room for it to be a nuclear attack as well - or maybe even something offbeat like zombies.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, NikkoJT said:

The trailer title says "Expansion", which is a term historically used for large updates like Apex, smaller items being "DLC". They could break tradition, though.

Personally, I expect science-y or alien-y content as well. But let's not read too much into it.

Alchemist and Sapphire are callsigns. Military callsigns are often "dictionary picks", or have indirect meanings. "Alchemist" could be a commander who's trained as a chemist, for example, or it could be a unit working with explosives. (Or it could be NBC...)

"Phase line" isn't science-related at all. It's a military term referring to a line drawn on a map. An operation might have several "phase lines", which the participating units move to during each phase of the op, to keep from advancing too far ahead of each other.

"Stay tuned" literally just means "keep listening", as in "stay tuned to this radio or TV frequency". It's a common phrase, especially in Arma's military context (lots of radio use).

So there's room for it to be a nuclear attack as well - or maybe even something offbeat like zombies.

They won't do Zombies. That would create competition with DayZ. And the nuclear attack thing has already been explored with Eagle Wing in Arma 2.

My guess is BIS Amsterdam is reusing old ideas (which isn't a bad thing) from Arma Futura and going all out. This might be the last official DLC / Expansion we ever receive so why not have fun with it? 🙂 Plus, beyond aliens we could also see new sci-fi assets for CSAT and NATO such as coilgun tanks, exoskeletons, or whatever else.

The "Contact" suffix in the leaked file RPT is a dead giveaway too.

I don't think it'll be NBC personally because that seems like it'd be very heavily scripted and the particle effects would chug computers. Plus it doesn't seem like an extensive enough topic to be covered by an Expansion. People seem to be forgetting that the opening quote is in quotation marks, probably meaning someone in the Arma universe itself said it. It's kind of a stretch but still.

The only issues I see with it being aliens is what side their faction will be on and how gear / uniforms will be handled. It's also important to keep in mind that just because they're aliens doesn't mean they have to follow sci-fi tropes and use lasers and stuff. Plasma, magnetic weapons, micro missiles, and even bullets in some form or another are still viable. They could even be robots or cyborgs.

Nonetheless I full expect it to be an alien invasion setting and the thought of it has me super excited. Regardless of what BIS does, I'm sure it'll be awesome! This is the Dutch team after all, and they gave us the masterpiece that is Laws of War. 😄

• Like 3

After playing XCOM again, I'd be down with some Aliens. I'm gonna put a notification on my calendar and buy some popcorn. Really looking forward to this...!

• Like 1

The more I think about it the more I feel that the size will be similar to the DLCs but they call it an expansion so that it doesnt fall under the "Supporter edition" and everyone has to buy it. 🤣

EDIT: Someone told me that Apex falls under supporter too so I was wrong. 🙄

An unlikely possibility might be a turn-based strategy system... 'Phase Line'.

That would certainly be something different, though I would imagine significant engine tweaks being warranted.

Adding that stuff after-the-fact is all the rage at the moment 🤫

I do not know, but I have a good feeling for this A3 exp / dlc. I can't wait to see him on Thursday 23🙂

15 hours ago, Moon_chilD said:

Jopp, all points toward Aliens

https://dev.arma3.com/post/sitrep-00231

And (as I've just been informed by) Arma 3 started as a futuristic sci-fi game and only late in the development was changed to military simulation!

From your animation excerpt one could think of a Command & Conquer crossover including the Brotherhood of Nod (nodscientist/nodcommander). The color scheme of Bros of Nod would fit CSAT's flag color scheme. 🤔