I created a way to spawn chimney smoke on the CUP maps and for many of the buildings on Altis, Stratis, and Tanoa.

http://www.azcoder.com/arma3/fsm_chimney.7z

Unzip the package into your mission and call it from init.sqf (or wherever)

[player,200,0.80] execVM "fsm_chimney\chimney_init.sqf";

First value is the center and must be an object. You can set it to an object in a town if you don't want it spawning wherever the player goes.

Second value is the range to search for appropriate buildings.

Third value is optional (default 55%) and is the chance any qualified building will have chimney smoke going.

If you want just one particular building to have smoke, you could put down an invisible object right on the building and call it like this:

[some_object,20,1] execVM "fsm_chimney\chimney_init.sqf";

20 is roughly the right number to find just the building you want if the object is right on top of it, and 1 for 100% chance of smoke. Adjust the range as necessary.

Feel free to modify this with further buildings if you wish. The CUP buildings ported from Arma 2 have chimneys defined in their model objects so those were easy to activate and is based on the old ALICE module. The Arma 3 buildings do not have chimneys defined and I had to go and test chimney positions for different buildings the hard way. I have not tested this on Malden 2035 and most likely will not work until I get around to adding those buildings. Unfortunately the new Global DLC Weferlingen map does not have chimneys defined either, at least not in a way that I expected, so they do not work. If someone wants to add them, feel free to post the values here.

How to add buildings?

There is a list that I created in the fsm with each building line by line:

["shop_city_05_f",[10.5,11.2,6.5]]

That is the model name and the modelspace position of the chimney. I only added what looked like chimneys, not steam vents.

Here are some example images:

3lMfxsDq_o.jpg

oyPSOZSF_o.jpg

DR14SHRh_o.jpg

• Like 8

This is excellent man and something I've tried and epically failed to implement myself. Good job. 

There is no doubt this would look really nice on the Weferlingen maps, especially the snow map.

What was your process for finding stack positions in non-defined buildings?....if it's not too complicated I'd be quite happy to rattle my way through the GM buildings on your behalf.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EO said:

This is excellent man and something I've tried and epically failed to implement myself. Good job. 

There is no doubt this would look really nice on the Weferlingen maps, especially the snow map.

What was your process for finding stack positions in non-defined buildings?....if it's not too complicated I'd be quite happy to rattle my way through the GM buildings on your behalf.

Thanks!

I literally stood on the roof of each building and used the debug console to get the building object / model name and to spawn smoke until I zero'd in on the chimney. Actually I spawned fire because it was easier to see the source. I'm headed to sleep but I can provide the exact code I used, although you can pretty much derive it from the script chimney_init.sqf.

• Like 1

Here's the debug console code I used for testing. Just stand on a roof and execute it.

dog = (nearestTerrainObjects [player,["House"],12] select 0); [] spawn 
{ 
_worldpos = (dog modelToWorld [-1,10,5]); 
_eSmoke = "#particlesource" createVehicleLocal _worldpos; 
_eSmoke setParticleClass "ObjectDestructionFire2"; 
_eSmoke setPos _worldpos; 
};

Adjust the modelToWorld numbers until the fire is where you want it. Of course you can switch the fire to smoke if you prefer, I just found fire easier to line up with smoke stacks.

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2019 at 1:49 AM, EO said:

No my friend, you did not fail.  You see, you tried.  Those that never try, fail.

Granted, the skills required to accomplish said task were beyond yours, you did try though.

No, you did not fail.

Think a tad better of yourself!  'I did/do!'   Do you?  If so, the word 'fail' would not have been used by you!  This should show you a 'window' into your thinking and heart.

Truth be told, you're better than mostMost do not even try.  You did...

Do not be so negative/hard on yourself!

'Oh it's a stupid mod...blah blah blah.'  Does it matter if it is big or small?  No!  A hard worker, for example, works hard in all jobs; big or small.

Be proud of yourself.  Yes, it is not major.  So you found a little bit of money on the street.  It is more than you had before you found it!

Never sell yourself short.  Never!  This is one thing that no one can take from you, but you.

🙂

• Like 2