mach2infinity

World Invasion: Alien/Monster Attacks (Multiplayer - PVE)

I keep coming back to ArmA and the one thing that's always circled in my mind is the idea of a server event/mission where an alien force/monster begins assaulting key positions across the map (perhaps population centres) and the job of the players is to delay/halt the advance of the enemy before eventually killing them. You'd get to deploy FOBs and forces as you see fit, command your own units and work with others with a Commander role to co-ordinate things. Perhaps there's a capital city you must defend at all costs to prevent losing the round. As you progress, you gain 'prestige'(*) which is the currency you earn to spend on upgrades and unlocking new and powerful weapons and units. For the antagonists, the aliens could be the Tripods from War of the Worlds and the monster could be Cloverfield monster. The enemies would have a lot of 'hit points'. The Tripods obviously have the shield but unlike the 2005 film  their shield weakens with each hit and the bigger the ordinance the more that shield decreases where they'll then march towards your 'HQ' and you have to stop them. The Cloverfield monster would have a hardened armoured skin or carapace which you have to chip away at with heavier firepower. Also in Cloverfield you had those arachnid-like parasites which are extremely fast and mobile so they could be a threat for the towns and cities. In amidst all this there'd be an element of having to save civilians and refugee caravans or something just to heighten the challenge and difficulty.

From an addon making perspective, the size of the Tripods can vary a little but they max out around 150ft so I'm hoping this is within the presumable poly-limit of ArmA? I suspect for Cloverfield monster being between 240ft-300ft this would be more of a challenge?

Just wanted to run the idea by you guys and see what you think. Personally I've always been really keen to see an Independence Day or Battle:LA type scenario so if there's an appetite for it then it would definitely be worth looking into (and for me to start learning how to use Blender and make addons for ArmA!)

*There was a good turn-based strategy game called People's General (yeah I'm old) and it had the UN (Basically NATO and Russia) vs China and I thought a clever money system was prestige. Because the more objectives you complete, the greater the recognition and the more money would be given to the military right? Which feels a bit more ground than earning money from captured towns or whatever.

• Like 2

Sounds like most what you've envisioned coudl be done to some extent at least. All kinds of creatures are quite difficult to add though, but not impossible. 

Poly limits have nothing to do with the dimensions of an 3d model. you can have a simple 6 sided cube thats 1 meter tall or 100 meter tall and the polycount is the same. 
That being said, Arma has limits on how big (dimension wise) objects work in the engine.

• Like 1

I began exploring such a setting a bit; right now you can check my "Contact" mission : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1445226945

It is 100% scripted and uses vanilla assets only. It's just a proof concept for now, but I plan on making an addon for it.

Of course it's nothing as ambitious as new models, tripods etc, but it has the potential for fun missions already.

• Like 1