major-stiffy

How to stop "Got it!" cookies reminder from popping up

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. More info

I just can't make it stop no matter how many times I click Got it!

Using Firefox, no addon blockers, accepting cookies in FF options.

:headscratch:

Still happening...so annoying.

Now I'm having login issues.

Try the icons next to the address (left): "Turn off blocking for this site."

Got to be logged in to not get "This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. More info."

For login issues try Ctrl+F5 when logged in, FF will refresh it.

I'm using FF 67.0 Portable and "Turn off blocking for this site." is not there. Logging in is not an issue lately. I'm am allowing https://forums.bohemia.net

accept cookies. I'll trying clearing cache for this site.

Thanks for the reply.

Still happening, have tried everything.

This is the ONLY website of dozens I visit that does this. 😡

Iirc blocking 3rd party cookies, mainly google analytics, makes 'Got it!' message re-pop up. Some other BI websites have this message in dark grey though, which would be preferred for the forums as well. Especially if you're running a dark theme. Speaking of dark themes, reply section background could be light grey, instead of white so you don't get blinded every time you try to post one.

No cookies are blocked for this site. FF shows cookies are being accepted. I also made an exception. Thanks for the reply.

cookie.jpg

Yes, 1st party (forums.bohemia.net) cookies are being accepted. I'm not sure what kind of setup your are running and what your goals are in terms of privacy and whatnot but if you are trying to get rid of 'Got it!' message at all cost, I imagine allowing 3rd cookies will do the trick (in this case something like analytics.google.com). Depending on your setup, that may translate into a global permission for those 3rd party cookies, which may defeat the whole purpose of what you're trying to do.

Your probably right. No matter what settings I make regarding allowance of any type of cookie, the popup continues. I'm just coming off FF ESR and now using the latest 67 non-ESR.

I give up.

EDIT:

Well I turned on UBlock addon and was able to block the elements of the popup. Sad but it stopped popping up.

It is quite annoying! Login works, accepting the yellow message does not work as expected.

BI could do better!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mushik said:

It is quite annoying! Login works, accepting the yellow message does not work as expected.

BI could do better!

I get it but it's a bit more complicated then that. It may not seem so but that message is there for your own good. If it's not going away, it's more then likely you're doing something you don't fully understand. There is a link in that 'Got it!' message that goes something like 'More info'. You may want to read trough that and then evaluate your security/privacy settings. @major-stiffy's workaround is not a bad one actually. It gets rid of the message without permanently allowing 3rd party cookies.

The Hated One has some good educational material on what the problems are operating online and possible solutions or ways to mitigate those problems. So once you know what to look for, then ask yourself what do you want and how to achieve that. I can understand if one can't be bothered though, it's quite a lot of work but it is what it is.

Thanks, Janez, for your long post and the patronizing sound!

BTW: The "More Info"-Link and its page provide a lot of detailed information, but it just drowns you. And in its "action part" it does not even mention MS Edge browser, but still sticks to Internet Explorer. But well, soon we all might just use Google Chrome and cheer our digital overlords!

Well, to be honest, other forum providers can handle the situation better than this forum! If I do not want to allow Third-party cookies for Google Analytics, Trello, Hotjar, then BI and the notifyer should accept it ("Got it!") and provide at least basic forum services. Instead they seem to nag me all the time until I give in and allow Google etc. to track me everywhere.

I am not amused...

I understand but it may be required by law to keep nag you if forum uses 3rd party tools and you do not accept it. Perhaps an admin can elaborate on that.

It does provide full functionality regardless however, unlike Ubisoft forums for example, where you cannot even login if not accepting 3rd party cookies. So it could be worse I suppose.

Another example in different environment is that I practically stopped playing Arma 3 online, at least on public servers because of what sort of data BattleEye is collecting and it's either accept it or don't play with BE. Well...

• Like 1

I agree, Janez, it could be worse.

But it should be questioned, why these data is collected in the first place. What is not collected, cannot get lost. Other sites with the same forum SW do not have that issue (well, might not use GA etc.)

And the Popup is an information and no request to do something and open the browser to world and dog, just to get rid of the yellow button and continue on bohemia.net

I am still not amused… but will continue to ignore that yellow popup.

Thanks again for your thoughts, @Janez !

On 5/29/2019 at 12:20 PM, major-stiffy said:

Well I turned on UBlock addon and was able to block the elements of the popup.

Gone. May want to give it a go.

👍

1 hour ago, mushik said:

But it should be questioned, why these data is collected in the first place.

Alright, now we're talking brother! Perhaps this is a start to an answer or part of a start?

https://www.corbettreport.com/episode-324-data-is-the-new-oil/

@mushik uBlock Origin plugin is also available for MS Edge.

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock

• Like 2