Sign in to follow this  
Ex3B

Making multipart static ships

(originally posted in the wrong sub-forum)

I've seen large ships, such as the ATLAS LHD composed of multiple parts, with a "helper" item that executes a script which spawns the sections of the ship. This approach has problems, such as having any aircraft (fixed or rotary) spawn flying when placed on the deck. Also there are problems with moving the ship in the editor (often required a save and reload).

In contrast, the BI static destroyed and carrier do not have these issues. In their config, they have a section specifying multiple parts, and what seems to be a position associated with them.

something like (can't look at the files right now):

{

{

"Part_1",

"Pos_1"

},

{

"Part_2",

"Pos_2"

},

{

"Part_3",

"Pos_3"

}

};

So I'm trying to make a multipart ship using that method. So I've got a model that I split into sections, each section is already offset in the .p3d file from the origin (0,0,0).

If I completely omit the position specifier like so:

{

{

"Part_1"

},

{

"Part_2"

},

{

"Part_3"

}

};

When spawned on perfectl flat ground (VR terrain), the ship seems to spawn correctly with all the parts in order, but it won't move correctly when dragged in the editor, and it gets all out of alignment when placed on uneven terrain, and very screwed up in the water.

So I added memory points to the origin of a helper item, and linked the other parts to it (via the config text),

In this case, all the parts spawn, move when the part is dragged in the editor, etc... but they all spawn in the same place, overlapping.

So I don't quite understand this system... in my experiments, it seems only moving the memory points specified in the helper will move the parts when spawned... yet since the .p3ds are already offset, I don't know how much to move the memory points... it seems to take some center of the model instead of the 0,0,0 point of each model. So I think I can know where to place the memory points if I can get the editor to display whatever this "model center" is.

Another method I tried was piecing the ship together from individual pieces in the editor (starting at 0,0, and 100 meters up in the air), but the offsets needed didn't work when I moved memory points by the same amount.

Can anyone explain how to use this system that BI used for making their static ships, and how to determine where to place these memory points to make the ship (trial and error would be extremely tedious to get the ship even remotely close, much less seamless)