AZCoder

Finding Chimneys on Buildings

On the CUP Terrains (Arma 2 / Chernarus), you can find chimneys on houses like this:

_pos = _obj selectionPosition format ["AIChimney_small_%1",_i];

Essentially it loops through to find all of the chimneys, but the name is AIChimney_small_x. Works great, you can add smoke effects. However, this does not work for Arma 3 buildings (Altis/Tanoa). I have scoured the configs for these buildings and I have no idea how to find them. I was testing by putting myself on the roof of a building with a chimney and doing this in the debug console:

(nearestTerrainObjects [player,["House"],10] select 0)  // just to verify the building

selectionNames (nearestTerrainObjects [player,["House"],10] select 0) // brings back selection names

The selectionNames command is supposed to be a corrollary to selectionPosition, however it cannot even find the AIChimney on Chernarus buildings. I tried looking in pbo configs too, can't find anything. Now obviously I don't know anything about model building. Maybe it's stored in the p3d file? I have no idea. Can anyone tell me how to find those Altis/Tanoan roof chimneys?  Thanks!

• Like 1

Doubt houses in A3 have chimney as selection names, since the amount of unique building types having a chimney is limited, you can manually specify the chimney position for each model class, shouldn't take too long.

Cheers

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Doubt houses in A3 have chimney as selection names, since the amount of unique building types having a chimney is limited, you can manually specify the chimney position for each model class, shouldn't take too long.

Cheers

I didn't see a lot of literal chimneys but there are a lot of steam vents, sometimes 4 or more on a roof. I am still curious how it is defined since that selectionNames command cannot even find the old A2 chimneys and yet they can be used with selectionPosition. I wrote an fsm to fire up chimneys on Chernarus automatically and was just going to adf Altis et al for completion sake