Enrik01

Black line across screen

Hi. I have just recently noticed this glitch. Anybody knows what to do with it? 

https://imgur.com/a/6RD90gW

Look at the tree, horizontal black line, badly visible but it is there

https://imgur.com/a/cSnDNvh

Upper half of the screen, same thing

Setup

CPU is AMD Ryzen 3 1200 
GPU is Nvidia GTX 1050Ti
RAM is 8 Gigs DDR4
HDD is Seagate Barracuda 1TB
SSD is WD Blue 2.5 inch 500GB
Graphics driver is up-to-date
Any help? Tried turning VSync off but still same thing happening

Edited by Enrik01
Added note

Hello, Welcome to Bis forums!

Can you post your latest RPT for what your playing that gives you the lines?

RPT can be found here: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Arma 3

Open the rpt with notepad and then select all, copy n paste it here ----> https://justpaste.it/

publish it and then share the link.

Thanks for the rpt.

My guess from looking at the rpt is its either a mod conflict in combination with the mission your playing or something else, the rpt spits up alot of these errors:

20:16:38 Updating base class ->RscActiveText, by a3\ui_f\config.bin/CA_Ok/ (original a3\ui_f\config.bin)
20:16:38 Updating base class ->RscText, by a3\ui_f\config.bin/CA_Ok_image/ (original a3\ui_f\config.bin)
20:16:38 Updating base class ->RscText, by a3\ui_f\config.bin/CA_Ok_image2/ (original a3\ui_f\config.bin)
20:16:38 Updating base class ->RscText, by a3\ui_f\config.bin/CA_Ok_text/ (original a3\ui_f\config.bin)
20:16:38 Updating base class ->RscPicture, by a3\ui_f\config.bin/RscVignette/ (original a3\ui_f\config.bin)

in the lines you have the a3\ui\config.bin 

the ui stands for user interface which tells me that it could be what might be making the black line run across the top but cant be sure.

Overall what i would do in this situation is since your running multiple mods and a custom mission is the following:

1. Create a mission in the editor, just place a soldier being you the player with only Arma3, no mods, play it and see if you get the black line across the top, if not

2. Add Cup core mod, test again, if no line

3. Add Cup maps mod, test again, if no line

4. Add Multi-play Uniforms mod, if no line

5. Add the RHS one by one, repeat til you have all the mods loaded.

If you dont have the line with all mods loaded then try the mission you were playing when you had the line, if it shows up then its something in the mission causing that.

This is whats called a process of elimination, its a thorough way to determine if any mod or what your running basically is creating a conflict somewhere

it is rather tedious and time consuming but once you've ran through it, and see the end result then it should give you an idea of whats creating the issue.

Some tips for this:

1. Pick a tiny map to test this on, like stratis

2. Turn off your splash screens for a3 basically make sure in the arma3 launcher if your using that, that the -nosplash box is ticked, so all the logos and such dont load up.

Now once you have run through that process, then reply here on when the black line shows up, so test the mods in a simple mission with A3 itself,

then add mods, when all mods are loaded then test the mission.

Also one question does the mission require all the mods you are running, or what does it require?

In my experience, this is caused by fog : try reducing the fog decay to 0 and it should solve that issue.

BIS never adressed this sadly, and it makes the fog decay completely useless. 😕

• Thanks 1

Yeah, it's caused by the fog. Under certain circumstances or rather setFog-values, the fog might over time show these lines.

50 minutes ago, Enrik01 said:

How does one lower mentioned fog decay?

You will have to open and edit the mission, i'll tell you how, and anyone says this is wrong,  its only wrong if you change

something and redistribute it and call it yours without permission from the author, with that out of the way.

Heres what you do, you will need to locate the mission in your steam workshop folder

i have a whole tutorial for this, and btw it ranks #1 on utube for its subject 😉

You will need to make sure all the mods the mission requires are loaded when opening the mission in the editor.

As in the video, once you opened it and are in the editor, just go to the top tools bar and look for the sun over cloud icon its called intel if you put your mouse cursor over it.

Open it and you will see under the fog tab is the decay bar/slider in the middle, just move it to the left, do that for the fog start section (top) and the fog overcast section (bottom)

Hope that helps.

• Like 1