Yes that's exactly where I got that idea. I had been researching different types of camo including tech ones. I thought Arma would be a great way to test something like that. I know how to project a live feed from a camera as I'm sure I've done this before. My preference though would have been a wider angle camera projected on to  a semi circular "hide" but I cant find a semicircular object I could do that with and I'm not a modder of objects.  

• Like 1

lots of these when debug option used:

if (_debug =="DEBUG") then
{
_known = man knowsAbout _unit;
_testit = _unit ge>
 1:10:31   Error position: <man knowsAbout _unit;
_testit = _unit ge>
 1:10:31   Error Undefined variable in expression: man
 1:10:31 File C:\Users\AccuracyThruVolume\Documents\Arma 3\missions\16th_Kujari_PMC_Ops.tem_kujari\scripts\Camoscriptv1.5.sqf, line 168
 1:10:38 Error in expression <

Also when activated with init=,  it no longer works after the player dies and respawns.   

I tried:

Camoscript = compile preProcessFileLineNumbers "scripts\Camoscriptv1.5.sqf";

then in initplayerlocal:

[player,"DEBUG",0,1,0,1,5] call Camoscript;

if (local player) then 
{
	player addMPEventhandler ["MPRespawn", { 0 = [player,"DEBUG",0,1,0,1,5] call Camoscript; }];
};

However it still stops working after player death.  Any ideas?

Ok.. works with just using execVM:

0 = [player,"DEBUG",0,1,0,1,5] execVM "scripts\Camoscriptv1.5.sqf";

if (local player) then 
{
	player addMPEventhandler ["MPRespawn", { 0 = [player,"DEBUG",0,1,0,1,5] execVM "scripts\Camoscriptv1.5.sqf"; }];
};

• Like 2

Agh I see what the issue is. Ive included in my debug a hint for the knows about value for one particular OPFOR ai (Leader of he group that passes down the road as test scenario starts) . But that's an example scenario specific thing and if you use the script elsewhere you wont of course want that. My bad. Ill fix it later today so that the script doesn't have that scenario dependency element in it. (Or meantime you can put a soldier named man in your scenario while you are debugging and use it to monitor his knows about value)

Re it stopping on players death - yes I would expect that  because the script as it now stands runs as an instance for each unit its run on. When that unit dies its own script instance of the script should die with it. If you have a scenario with respawns then any unit that has this script on it will need this script set on it again if you are planning to respawn it , including player. I haven't really tested the script in anything other than SP so if you are testing it in MP then you are breaking ground with it.  Im mulling over a few changes to the script anyway so any further feedback you can give me would be most welcome.

Just another thought - I wasn't envisaging this script being run via a call  because that's unscheduled and this script isn't time critical and can wait its turn if need be so I think its better called via spawn or ExecVM anyway.

Hey my good man how goes the progress on your script here?

Haven't seen any posts since your last post, was wondering if you had stopped or are working on more code, or are maybe stuck somewhere.

You ever get around to the idea you were talking about here?

On 6/2/2019 at 6:39 PM, The Real Bunc said:

I know how to project a live feed from a camera as I'm sure I've done this before. My preference though would have been a wider angle camera projected on to  a semi circular "hide" but

I cant find a semicircular object I could do that with and I'm not a modder of objects.  

Hi Gunter, no I haven't stopped but I have progressed to a crawl over the summer because of a) good weather b) family commitments and d) the big one - the fact I'm always thinking up new ideas before I completely finish the old ones! Lol. 

Re the camo one I've made more progress but I'm not ready for update yet. On the live feed idea I did a proof of concept about a week after we discussed it and it worked fine. I ended up making a vehicle ( tank) camouflage that essentially mirrors the ground you are driving on. It's eccellent camo but changes as you move so the effect is a bit weird at first. I also did a proof of concept for the same approach but with a soldier using a deplorable camo screen. I used the user defined rectangle - can't recall the right name. I'll put these up in next week or two if your still interested.

• Like 2

Woh neat man, good to read your still working on it, surely but slowly.

I think with the time that arma3 is set in, that your camouflage for vehicles and infantry is ideal and would and can be used for maybe special forces but maybe general too, the other thing is

i can see it being fairly realistic in terms of a technology which from which i understand is still being developed and used today in some military's, at least some short videos i've seen on them.

Being mainly an infantry based player, especially in sniper roles for certain types of missions, i love the idea to be able to just blend in and disappear, even when the enemy is moving about your position.

One thing i would like to see a function of is the player's ability to distract the AI enemy through the use of deployable objects i think its possible but i dont recall it being something i've seen

being done at least nothing i've recognized in a mission, script or mod.

I know you can distract the enemy already, and or get their attention, but this is a whole nother level where the AI would recognize or investigate a sound,

basically unlike a shot fired, or even an explosion, it would maybe be a sound not recognized by them.

But the idea is the ability to somehow either toss something, eg. a rock, or an object of some sort, and the ai would go an investigate it, this may be a bit off topic, but inconjunction

with the camouflage this would be a pretty nifty combination, i got this idea from the Sniper Elite games, along with the idea of camouflage your shots

while another sound goes off thereby masking it.

I'm Keeping an eye on your work man, Cheers!

• Like 1

Would this script function in  multiplayer setting 

I haven't tried my script in MP and I'm no expert on this but my understanding would be that this should be run locally rather than by the server, so as long as the server whitelisted the script then it could be run by players on their own unit and , if desired , it could be run by a Headless client on eg some of the  ai units it was managing and /or the same by the server. In the current version each unit which you desire to have DynamicCamo should have the script run on it whenever you want the dynamic camo to kick in. Normally that would be in ini  but it could be done at another time by trigger . I hope that's a bit of a help.

@santoj you might want to check out the last comment by accuracythruvolume further up this page. You'll see how he's handling  calling the script on MP respawns 

Is there a way to factor in if the unit is firing?  One would think the audio coefficient would spike to max after gunfire for a short time.  Or max - rain and wind?  this could probably be done with a fired event handler on the unit....

My own testing suggested to me that gunfire triggers higher knows about values anyway which is why I didn't touch that aspect. I would need to confirm that though - its just a working assumption. The reason I say this is that the audiblecoeff ( im talking from memory here I would need to double check) is something that both a Unit and a vehicle has. I never checked weapons but I wouldn't be surprised if hey carried their own audiblecoeff starting value or that it could be set specifically for them. If that is the case then I don't think any specific handling of shooting a gun is needed because the audibility is a feature of the gun itself at that point and not the Unit. That make sense? I think it does given those assumptions but of course thse assumptions may be wrong and Im happy to be corrected as Im still figuring this camouflage and audible coef stuff out.

Bunc, keep up the good work.  I'm excited to use this script.  Exactly what I was looking for!!!!

I haven't forgotten it - Ive been thinking of bit of a rewrite, update and turning it into an editor placed module but this is going to take me a bit of time which I haven't had over the summer. Meantime any comments are always welcome. Personally I think the values are too aggressive and give too much camo benefit. But that's something I would like to hear views on from anyone that uses it. Thanks for using it meantime.

• Like 2

Gunter - Thanks for the interest. My guilty secret is that I've been too busy actually playing ARMA 3 and messing around with other scripts. The dynamic Camo script got to the point where it suited my own purpose so my motivation for making a module sort of dropped away. My bad. I haven't given up on the idea but figuring out how to turn it into a module turned out to be much less interesting than making other scripts that I need for a scenario etc. I will get round to it eventually I'm sure but I wouldn't hang around patiently waiting on it. As I don't have any previous experience of making modules its a standing start for me on that and Im not currently highly motivated re that compared to other stuff. Anyone wants to have a go meanwhile is of course more than welcome ( as long as I get some credit) - my main interest was in seeing if I could make the idea work in the first place.

• Like 1

Hey my good man, no worries can understand got to play once in a while, and some things can be a bit daunting and boring depends what it is.

This is the wiki for the modules if you ever do decide to look into it and work on it https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Modules

I may check it out myself, as i know of a couple of modders that could give me some insight on how to get this to work as they have created complex modules in the past

i'll get back to you on it if i look into it, rather intrigued about it atm so we'll see, but if i do it wouldn't be the first time i took on building an addon or mod 😉

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing this script. I am going to add a custom uniform filter to it.

I found a minor error on line 100.

{camo = 0.5;};

should read:

{_camo = 0.5;};

This script should be in vanilla Arma3.

• Thanks 1

First off, I freely admit I am an idiot, and have zero coding/scripting skills.
That being said, after three or four hours of giving myself a headache in the editor

I have been able to get the script to work after a player dies and respawns.
I did it by putting a "onPlayerRespawn.sqf" file in the mission folder and putting
the following into it: 0 = [player,"DEBUG",0,1,0,1,5] execVM "camo_script\Camoscriptv1.5.sqf";

I had tried copy and pasting Accuracythruvolume's into an init.sqf file, but was getting error
messages when I fired up the mission, so for craps and giggles I tried using just one line
of it in the "onPlayerRespawn".
  I put the mission up on our server, connected to it, and ran it, and it seems to be working
fine even after respawning.
  Now I just need to get one of my friends to join the server with me to see if it works
on his end, too.
  My sincere thanks to Bunc for the script. I think I and my friends will have a LOT of fun
with it!
  And thank you as well to Accuracythruvolume for posting up his script lines. 
My workaround would not have worked without them. Salute!

Regards, Odd

Edited by Oddball-47 Ronin
I had forgotten to thank Accuracythruvolume as well. D'oh!
  • Like 1

Hi The Real Bunc, et al.
 I've just finished up what I hope will be a bug free "final version" of a "Nam mission in which the DynamicCamo Script
plays a HUGE part. I just wanted to take a moment to thank you once again for the script, Bunc and also
a big thanks to "accuracythruvolume" whose posts showed me how to implement it in a multiplayer environment
with respawns. Salute to you both!

Mission thread can be found here: https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/230509-mp-coop-1-7-silent-thunder-v31-part-1/
Steam Workshop Linkhttps://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2207137151&amp;searchtext=unsung

Best regards, Odd

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey @Oddball-47 Ronin I haven't been on much for the last couple of months ( just had to get on with some other things). Great to see someone else incorporating my script into a  mission. Il grab it from Steam and have a go.

Thanks to Aussie battler as well for error spotting. I'll check that and sort it sometime soon. Thanks for the positive comments about the script as well.

Edit: Oddball - I ve just read your blurb on steam - I'm blushing.

• Like 1