j82vc7Cl.jpg

by Gunter Severloh

Hello Arma3 community!

Here is a mission i built that i have been working on and off since November 2018:

Story

After a recent reconnaissance mission in Afghanistan, intel reports ISIL forces have established a foothold in the Southwestern

area of Kunduz using local Afghan compounds as their place of operations.
Your mission is to locate and clear these compounds, eliminate the anti air threat, destroy their ammo, fuel, Radio, and eliminate the ISIL commander leading the occupation.

Screenshots

ttbKgN7m.jpgPnjw0V1m.jpg6vDpEMLm.jpgaRmjjvhm.jpg

F4JUaBrm.jpg1rVhD9qm.jpgW43NSvWm.jpgYMe6Wzcm.jpg

8cStvmDm.jpgKVlzc3im.jpgBiXz9Ohm.jpg3VIWkeNm.jpg

FCSHbbzm.jpgDdYhgtfm.jpgaNuv1V3m.jpghkpWqrum.jpg

KgjBWwym.jpgSv9nN2gm.jpgBhM3Eifm.jpgJlIqYWTm.jpg

Video

Video doesn't represent the latest build btw few things have changed

but in general its how the mission plays.

This video is the original mission with all mods.

Download

The ISIL Foothold ACE version

The ISIL Foothold Vanilla Arma 3 version

The ISIL Foothold

Requirements - (ACE version is same as original mission but with added ACE assets)

MISSION FEATURES

General

• Mission Requires:   RHS, Iraqi-Syrian Conflict, & HAS Mod
  • Playable in Single player or Multiplayer.
  • 4 Player Coop with Revive.
  • 1 player teamswitch.
  • No respawn which means when you die you teamswtich to the next available AI.

Friendly Assets

• 3 dune buggies seats 4 - (no respawn).
  • 2 Humvee's with .50cal - (no respawn).
  • 1 Ammo, fuel, & repair truck - (no respawn).
  • 4 Artillery (Mortar M252) Fire missions.
  •  4 calls for a helicopter to:   CAS, Drop supplies, Transport, & Pickup.
  • Access to Virtual Arsenal at Base to change uniform, weapons, loadout & gear.

Map, Time, & Weather

• Mission set on Kunduz, Afghanistan Map - (Fixed Doors version so you can open the doors).
  • Over 50 custom placed buildings, walls, objects, sandbags, and wrecks in and around the compound areas.
  • Month: August - Time: 17:00hrs (5:00pm).
  • Weather is partly sunny.

Gameplay

• Enemy soldiers are randomly garrisoned in and around the compounds - (Each play through is not the same!)
  • Roaming infantry patrols will seek you out if you make your presence known.
  • Roaming .50cal Mounted truck will seek you out if you make your presence known.
  • Random starting positions of several of the objectives.
  • If you play solo you have only 4 lives, die with all 4 and mission ends.      How long can you survive?
  • Option to halo/Parachute to the AO.
  • Option to recruit AI infantry to command.
  • Full Briefing with Tasks.
  • Briefing, Supports, and Tasks will transfer to the player on team-switch.
  • 12 objectives with tasks, with no gui task indicators on the map.
  • Use your map to locate objectives based on their description for the task. 
  • Your enemy is the ISIL forces, also known as ISIS.
  • Player's faction is Blufor (RHS - USA SOCOM / MARSOC).
  • Start at a large FOB and drive, fly, or Halo to the AO.

Advice & Tips

• Take your time, patience and recon are crucial in surviving in this mission.
  • Theres no wrong way to approach or do an objective, but rushing and carelessness will cost you.
  • Check the rooftops, windows, doorways, and your corners before you make your move.
  • Shooting your weapon will draw their attention, so shoot and scoot!
  • You only have 4 lives if your playing solo, when all 4 are gone its mission over!
  • Use your support Assets, they are limited but can maximize your efforts if used at the right time.
  • Playing Coop means working together, covering the other guy, reviving/giving aid/ammo.
  • Use the terrain to your advantage, as a long range fighter many threats can be eliminated from afar.
  • Move to cover from cover, and look for the next position of cover for your next move.
  • Do your recon, assess the terrain, plan your move, look at where there is cover.
  • When in doubt throw a grenade.
  • When the enemy has an idea or is zeroed in on your position, MOVE!
  • Move diagonally, laterally, not straight.
  • Arc your doors and openings, doing so will allow you to peer the inside flanks.
  • Close your flanks - after moving into a house with doors, close the door behind you.
  • Dont try to outshoot an enemy that already has a bead on you, move!
  • Use natural, and other light sources to illuminate the enemy surroundings.
  • Dont crest hills and become a silhouette, always crawl and use rocks or bushes to conceal your shape.
  • When searching for enemy, look for silhouettes, or shapes that dont belong, dark on sand stands out.
  • When trying to move closer while an enemy is spotted ahead, put objects (buildings, stones, hard cover) in front of you while moving to hide your movement, and give you cover.
  • Watch my video to see how i do it 😉

HOW TO PLAY

• You can find the mission under Singleplayer Scenarios on the main menu.
  • You can also find it under MP Lan.

CREDITS

I want to thank the following members of the Arma community
for their work/help with my mission:

• Rydygier - for his insights in using !ALive code, sorting out bugs with mission end.
  • Larrow - for his code on Multiple support requesters.
  • pierremgi - for his help with code for transferring the briefing on teamswitch.
  • Kronzky - for his Urban Patrol Script.
  • Sushi - for his [TOG] GARRISON SCRIPT.
  • Simmax - for his Kunduz FOB Template which i upgraded.
  • Rydygier & myself - for HAS - Hermes Airlift Services Mod.
  • Red Hammer Studios - for their RHS Mod.
  • AccuracyThruVolume - for his fantastic Iraqi-Syrian Conflict Mod.
  • James2464 - for his original map Kunduz Afghanistan.
  • Moser - Bon's Infantry Recruitment Redux script.
  • Ghost - Halo script.
  • Armaholic - for hosting the mission.

=================

Changelog:

Spoiler

May 13th, 2019

v1.5

- Added some objects to base buildings, adjusted object positions.
- Added more various sandbag walls to roofs in all compounds.
- Added the option to Halo/parachute to the AO.
- Added the ability to recruit AI for those who prefer help while playing solo.
- Added 4 quad bikes as an alternative vehicle w/1 med fak added each.
- Swapped out 1 MRZR 4 dune buggy with an unarmed Humvee.
- Increased bleedout duration to 5min for coop.
- Changed the game time to 17:00hrs (5pm) so you will have more daylight time.
- Replaced the Chinook with the MH-6m littlebird.
- Updated briefing.

May 8th, 2019

v1.4

- Changed the Officers beret for vanilla arma3 beret as there was an error reported
about the beret p3d, hopefully the change removed the error. 

- The ISIL Commander will now start randomly among the 4 compounds, so you will need to locate him now. 
See task description for details. 

- Radio Antenna now starts randomly among the 4 compounds, so you will need to locate the tower. 
- Moved the ISIL Commander and Radio antenna markers as they both objective/tasks are no longer based in compound 4. 
- Moved the reinforcement tank/bmp/infantry squad closer so they show up sooner.
- Changed the markers that were worded ISIS to ISIL.

May 5th, 2019

v1.3

- adjusted a couple of names in the briefing's credits.
- Adjusted the name in the description.exe as it was incorrect.
- Radio antenna objective will now start in a random position within compound 4.
- Added and adjusted positions of various sandbag fences on buildings.
- Adjusted weather.

May 4th, 2019

v1.2

Release

========

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Update

version 1.3

Changelog:

- adjusted a couple of names in the briefing's credits.
- Adjusted the name in the description.exe as it was incorrect.
- Radio antenna objective will now start in a random position within compound 4.
- Added and adjusted positions of various sandbag fences on buildings.
- Adjusted weather. 

===============

Plans

For those who would prefer a mission without any or little mod requirements

Im currently working on a version of this mission for just vanilla arma3, only requirements would be just the Kunduz, Afghanistan Map

wont be hard for me to do as its a matter of swapping out units and vehicles, and transferring some code.

Stay Tuned!

• Like 2

Just a word to those who download and subscribe to the mission, i dont doubt most of you have decent skills, or have experience in the game,

but just a word of caution:

1. Read my Advice and Tips listed in my first post, i listed those because that is what this mission requires, they are strategies from my own experience over the years that apply and work well with the mission.
  2. Keep in mind the mission is limited to 4 lives! So like in my video when you die, you have 3 lives left, when all lives are gone its mission over.
  3. The mission is not "hard" it is and can be difficult, but difficulty is a matter of perspective in the mind of a strategist.
  4. Most of the enemy other then what you see can be a challenge to locate this is why i insist in my advice & Tips to recon, and scope out your path before you move.
  5. The objectives themselves are not difficult, but what makes it difficult is the enemy standing in your way hellbent on preventing you from accomplishing your goal.
  6. Where you fail to look will cost you your life, so take your time.
  7. Mission was designed for those who prefer tactical realism, theres really nothing in the mission other then maybe arsenal that makes it not realistic.

If you guys have any other combat strategies similar to my advice and tips list, i'd like to hear them and add them to the list with credits applied 😉

lastly any suggestions of the mission if you have any, Halo?

Dont ask for respawn as to me it creates for a careless game why i prefer limited lives, if you play coop it has revive.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Update - new version!

Vanilla Arma3 version is now available it is linked in my first post, mission only requires the Kunduz, Afghanistan map.

This version is no different then the original other then the units, vehicles used were changed for vanilla Arma3, and for the heli support i had

to move the helis out to another location to come pick you up at the base where you start, and instead of the HAS Mod, the mission uses the

Arma3 support modules for artillery, heli cas, ammo drop, transport and pickup.

New Enemy Faction

The faction in this version replaces the ISIL faction from Iraqi-Syrian Conflict mod and is the Independent (FIA) faction.

Mission still plays the same but the original with mods is better in my opinion.  Any questions or issues, let me know. Have fun!

• Like 1

Update

Version 1.4 for modded version and v1.1 for vanilla version.

Changelog:

May 8th, 2019

v1.4

- Changed the Officers beret for vanilla arma3 beret as there was an error reported
about the beret p3d, hopefully the change removed the error. 

- The ISIL Commander will now start randomly among the 4 compounds, so you will need to locate him now. 
See task description for details. 

- Radio Antenna now starts randomly among the 4 compounds, so you will need to locate the tower. 
- Moved the ISIL Commander and Radio antenna markers as they both objective/tasks are no longer based in compound 4. 
- Moved the reinforcement tank/bmp/infantry squad closer so they show up sooner.
- Changed the markers that were worded ISIS to ISIL.

=============

I ask again, anyone played it and beat the mission besides myself?  😄

Great mission Gunter.  Thanks.  First time I've used the airlift script and it works great.  I'm playing solo, so haven't beaten yet, but am totally enjoying it so far.

• Thanks 1

Mission was designed for those who prefer tactical realism,

....sounds like something I might enjoy! Thanks for your hard work.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Great mission Gunter.  Thanks.  First time I've used the airlift script and it works great.  I'm playing solo, so haven't beaten yet, but am totally enjoying it so far.

Thanks johnnyboy!

Ya for HAS its the module, i love it myself, after getting helicopter support from the vanilla heli, i cry for my HAS.

HAS makes the transport like specific and pinpoint on where you want to go, you tell the chopper where you want to go and he lands there, whereas with vanilla supports,

the heli lands in the flattest area best for the heli around your chosen spot.

HAS gives you 2 options too, you can land fast, or do a fastrope, thats the beauty of it, be concerned for the safety of the heli tho, it wont respawn,

so like in real life plan your approach best for both you and your heli if you plan to fly!

Vanilla Version

In the vanilla version which only requires Kunduz Afghanistan map, i got shot out of the air 2 times now approaching the area, all because this dimwit chopper wouldn't just land the dam thing

its like hes sitting there trying to determine where to land, meanwhile here comes .50cal rds from the truck and 2 missiles from the antiair, i was like WTF!

So i ended up doing the mission with 3 lives only, and that was my only transport!

I've beaten the modded version many times, even a few times without dying, but now since i created the vanilla version, i been playing that during the week to give me ideas,

on how to make it better, i tell you i been finding the vanilla version a bit harder, but i've yet to sit down and play the whole thing only because i been getting home

late this week and had little time to just play it through.

I do highly recommend and suggest that if anyone plays the vanilla version that you do not fly in first, or if you do fly in and land far away and go in on foot,

because that anti air will take your chopper down in a heartbeat.

13 hours ago, pvt. partz said:

....sounds like something I might enjoy! Thanks for your hard work.

Welcome, ya the mission has no respawn if you play by yourself then you will have to travel to the AO, the mission is as you know limited with 4 lives, and teamswitch i did it that way

because i felt that the player would appreciate their life more as well as take the aspects of the mission as a real threat to their life,

this forces one to use their head, and look and think before they move, also makes you appreciate all the weapons and tools that you have available to you.

So the tactical realism aspect of it comes down to MOUT & CQB tactics, alot of which i use to train in back in my realism unit for

Red Orchestra (Ostfront 41-45) 2007-2010 as all the matches, and campaigns against other units we were involved in were all one life.

So you got killed it was game over, get off the server for you, was no fun dying so we had regular training 2-3times a week on those 2 subjects, alot of recon aspect too.

In my video in the OP, there are some parts there when im going into rooms i will explain or point out a tactics i use alot the list below is the following:

Look past the target area

When you looking for targets, while looking at a specific spot, take in the whole scenery, look for shadows, things moving, and things that dont belong in the context

of what your looking at, when you take it all in, looking at the doors, windows, roofs, even under the doors, yes under doors can reveal an enemy's foot or leg,

telling you theres one in there, cool thing is you can shoot through the door.

ARC your openings

This is a tactics i employ alot, i learned this by discovery in RO when going against other players and it saved my life numerous times

as well as give me the advantage as it allowed me to see them before they me.

So what you do when coming up to an opening, be it a door, window, any opening you need to go through, you give a little distance and move from left to right vice versa

looking on the inside the flanks of the opposite room or area you are about or trying to enter, as you move, you move closer, once you get to the edge of the entrance then peak the flanks from an angle, dont step

into the inside then peak (lean) so your head is exposed or is inside the room.

Decoys & Drawing

Even tho your playing against the AI, you can create decoys to make them look in that direction of whatever it is you created a decoy of, for example, shoot some shots so your heard at your position, then

back out and flank out and away, and hit the enemy from the flank or rear, the AI will watch a given position that had sound for so much time before they return to a 3-8 (scan horizon).

Another method is to shoot a door, wall, or somewhere close where the enemy is, to get them to move/look in that direction making them expose themselves more

because previously you couldn't make a shot because most of them was facing the other direction.

For patrols that move, you can make yourself heard, they will investigate shots that are silenced, provided you have fired several shits in their direction, or even killed one of them,

but they will come to your position eventually, what you can do before you get into that position to do that is setup some land mines trip mines, and basically draw them to your sound,

they will walk into your trap without you having to shoot to kill them.

i did that with the mounted truck, he drove and stopped about 100m from me, and i took a peak, the gunner was looking around, when he looked another direction, i popped up, and shot him,

then killed the driver, keep in mind the mounted truck also has a passenger that will switch to the driver seat if driver is killed.

==================

On 5/4/2019 at 5:00 PM, Gunter Severloh said:

Over 50 custom placed buildings, walls, objects, sandbags, and wrecks in and around the compound areas.

Just a note if you guys havent read it in the OP above, compare the compound area with the original kunduz map of the AO, and my mission, in the mission i spent probably a month

placing walls, houses, sandbags, gates, canopies, benches, and other buildings.

Also the FOB you start at was a template i used, but i spent another week building that up, i create the lookout towers, among the other things there.

I been thinking of moving the FOB closer so its less of a drive to get there so something im looking into.

Update

Version 1.5 for original mission

Version 1.2 for the Vanill Arma3 version (no mods, other then map)

New ACE version 1.0 now released - (same mission as the original, except has ace assets, and functions)

Changelog for the Original mission

May 13th, 2019

v1.5

- Added 4 quad bikes as an alternative vehicle w/1 med fak added each.
- Swapped out 1 MRZR 4 dune buggy with an unarmed Humvee.
- Replaced the Chinook with the MH-6m littlebird.
- Updated briefing.

Changelog for the Vanilla Arma3 mission

May 13th, 2019

v1.2

- Updated briefing.

=========

Update Notes:

FOB Relocation - FAIL

I was trying to relocate the FOB, the base where the player starts, to a location across the river and basically half the distance to the AO

but the terrain is so bumpy and hilly, fully of rocks/stones, that every placement attempt either screwed up the walls, the towers, ect,.

so the best place on the map is where its at, i know its a distance but your only going to drive, fly, or halo it once anyways or 4 times

depends on how many lives you lose as there is no respawn.

AI Infantry Recruitment board

This is a new feature in the mission where you can recruit AI under your command to help you in the fight against ISIL.

The AI that will show up in the list is based on your faction type, so recon units will see recon unit types in the list, thats just how the script works.

Lastly the AI recruit board is situated outside the base, so you exit the base and you will see it across the road from the base,

i have it marked on the map, why there?

Because every test i tried after recruiting a soldier the AI would not, and was unable to leave the FOB no matter what i tried, only other option i can think

of as i type this would be to have them get into the heli or vehicle at base and then you drive it out with them in it, whether that would work idk but it hasn't been tested.

===========

This was probably the more time consuming aspect of building these missions and these versions was placing, objects, sandbags, buildings, walls, ect. aside adding some atmosphere to the mission,

the sandbags on the roof's you will find useful, some roofs i had to adjust positions of existing sandbags, others fill in holes, or gaps, others new builds.

If you use enhanced movement mod where you can climb walls, you will see how useful that mod will be for you when you get up on a roof and can snipe or shoot

enemies from up high and at any distance, giving you the advantage

Some areas the AI wont be on top of so their more specifically for the player, all the AI aside the ones running around randomly get garrisoned into all the buildings within

a 100m areas, the ISIL commander doesn't, he will get moved to a random position among the 4 compounds, so you have no idea where he will be at when the mission starts.

So the mission overall is sorta of dynamic like that as each playthrough the enemies will be in different positions, buildings, and places,

same with a few of the objectives including the ISIL Commander.

Completed the mission?

Has anyone completed all 12 Task/Objectives and beat the mission yet besides me?

BTW the OP has been updated with new information and links, and currently waiting on Armaholics update for the original version.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Hi Gunter,

Great mission thank you. Haven't beaten it yet but I'm working on it. Some nice updates to it also.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

Thanks cub1,

Let me know how it goes, and how long it takes, you, if it seems to hard or challenging but playable.

Update

Armaholic has released the update for the original mission v1.5, and the OP has been updated accordingly.

Cheers!

What enemy would you be interested in fighting against?

I had an idea to use another enemy to fight against this would create a new version of the mission, same map, the only change in the mission would be just the enemy.

I basically did this for the vanilla version.

So my question to you guys is if i were to create another version, what enemy would you like to fight against, and in my opinion it would have to be an enemy that is fitting for the map setting,

so for example the Taliban could fit, some type of middle eastern east opfor faction could work too. let me know what you think.

What about player faction?

Would someone like to play as the Russians vs ISIL like they are in real life, or something else?