Hey Lexx, I have a  question about your showDust function in your mod/campaign.

So as I mentioned already, I'm working on a prequel mission for your Dunes campaign, and want to use your showDust function, but I don't seem to understand how to cancel the effect.

How do I cancel the showDust effect? 

• Like 1

You just have to set lxDunes_DisableDust to any value. As example:

lxDunes_DisableDust = true;

This way the effect will run out and won't be renewed. If you want to restart the effect, you will first have to do

lxDunes_DisableDust = nil;

and then run the function again.

• Thanks 1

Just now, lexx said:

You just have to set lxDunes_DisableDust to any value. As example:

This way the effect will run out and won't be renewed. If you want to restart the effect, you will first have to do

lxDunes_DisableDust = nil;

and then run the function again.

It may be that I'm just doing something wrong, but when I put, lxDunes_DisableDust = true; into a trigger to test, it says, invalid number in expression.

I just tried it. First trigger:

hint "activate";
0 = [] spawn {
[0.1, 0, [player]] call lxDunes_fnc_showDust;
};

Second trigger:

hint "deactivate";

Both are working as they should.

• Thanks 1

Weird, I'm getting this.  

I'm running your Dunes mod, and 3den mod. 

2eevhnp.jpg

Oh, so you aren't even getting that error in the actual game? It's just setting a variable, there is nothing fancy to it. My first guess would be that the 3den mod is causing this, but that would be really weird, as - like said - you are just setting a variable.

Do you get the same error if you type in "lxDunes_DisableDust = 1;" ? Or hell "justAtest = true;" ?

17 minutes ago, lexx said:

Oh, so you aren't even getting that error in the actual game? It's just setting a variable, there is nothing fancy to it. My first guess would be that the 3den mod is causing this, but that would be really weird, as - like said - you are just setting a variable.

Do you get the same error if you type in "lxDunes_DisableDust = 1;" ? Or hell "justAtest = true;" ?

It's definitely something on my end. If I put justAtest = true; into a trigger, I get the same error. 

I executed  lxDunes_DisableDust = 1; locally, and it worked.

I guess 3den is causing this.

ETA;

I just tried,  hint "deactivate"; lxDunes_DisableDust = true     with no ";" at the end, and that works just fine in the trigger. Very weird.

• Like 2

I have a question regarding part two

Spoiler

When CSAT attacks, the dialogue seems to indicate that only me and team leader survived. TL behaviour also suggests that I am bound to enter the pickup truck with him, and drive through seemingly endless masses of CSAT soldiers in the desert.

However, every time I play this mission, not only my buddy (Tanny) survives, but also TL's buddy. In effect, they both get in the truck, and I am unable to. Truck drives for few meters, stops, TL's buddy gets out and gets in again, doing this all the way to objective (unless one of them dies). I can get on the quad with Tanny, which will stop this vicous cycle of pickup truck, and both of our vehicles arrive at the objective to continue the mission (fight with helicopter). However, is it supposed to happen at all? Presence of Tanny and TL's buddy seem to mess with mission, for example team-leader reactions are slower (dialogue and task to collect AA launcher appearead a minute or two after heli started firing at us).

The task should appear once you hit the LZ. If you don't go there, the task won't appear. However, the task doesn't *have* to appear - you can walk to the AA location on your own (if you know where it is) or shoot down the helicopter in any other way earlier. Now that reminded me that I wanted to hide some AA launcher in the first mission, as a kind of easteregg that players could then use to bring down the gunship early in M02.

Morgan and Anderson have their own car. You should have brought your own to the camp - or any other car from the first mission. The positions are semi-persistent, so in M02 they will be parked where you left them in M01. Now if you ended M01 with the cars being far away... that'll fuck you up next mission, as you won't have a vehicle, as Morgan and Anderson won't wait for you with their car. Now if you are faster than them and block the car... it should work, I guess, but it's not how it is intended. I agree that it's a bit shitty, but I had no time to script something better and more flexible.

Maybe I should fix the other CSAT car at the campsite, so players who did not bring a car won't have to walk (or use the quad bike parked outside, which only holds 2 people, though).

Ah, now I see. I don't think any change would be necessary, afterall if one done messed up (like me leaving the car further away), it just adds to the challenge.

However I did see Morgan and Anderson jumping out of car and getting back in - I'll replay the mission and see if it happens again.

Let there be Sand!

18nXXew.jpg

Bj0Qk5p.jpg

9lYQMrs.jpg

g0Xxuif.jpg

Thanks for this great mission!

• Like 2

The headgear is pretty cool. Where is this from?

Fun missions. Great production for such a short term project. The terrain is beautiful, to the point and distinct. 

Spoiler

I enjoyed both missions.  Would personally have preferred it if marking targets with the UAV had somewhat greater range. The flight time and fiddling with the cameras only served to demonstrate Arma3s poor UI. I enjoyed the time setting up ambushes on the patrols and camps a lot more. Even if the task was easy, I still took casualties from ultra accurate AI from time to time. So the threat of failure was real. 

The fight against the swarm of CSAT and attack helicopter was rough. Especially as I didn't have NVGs. It led to a bunch of reloads, but as others have commented it was very satisfying to finally shoot down the gunship!  I wonder if any special scripts was used for the gunship? The fight was interesting with FFAR barrages and close calls by cannons. 

I look forward to similar mission projects in the future 🙂

-k

edit: also second that question. What mods supply the headgear in the pictures? 

Thanks!

Yes, the whole gunship scene is scripted. It was neccessary because the small map caused lots of issues for the helicopter ai...

After hours upon hours of rage filled bug hunting, I decided to pre-record all flight paths: Arrival, fireteam dropoff, as well as the returning flybys are all custom made via various tricks I've learned over the years. I think it ended up being 3 or 4mb of text files just with recorded flight coordinates. 

The whole behaviour is running in it's own tiny fsm file which also controls when to fire missiles, etc.

Certainly could be handled a lot better, but well... I tried to make the most out of it in the little time I had left.

• Like 4