gc8

Detect object variable change

Hi

Is it possible to know when variable set to an object is changed in another machine? For example server sets global variable on player and client needs to know when it has changed?

I mean this:

_player setVariable ["test", 123, true]; // On server

With public variables it would be possible to detect the change with addPublicVariableEventHandler but what about these object variables?

I could make a loop on client to detect the change but that wouldn't be ideal.

thx!

afaik it's not possible this way.

2 alternative options:

1. use a missionnamespace variable and publish it and then detect its change with the event handler.

2. u could use remoteExec and remotely execute whatever should be executed on variable change. (maybe u don't need the entire setVariable thing then)

14 minutes ago, sarogahtyp said:

1. use a missionnamespace variable and publish it and then detect its change with the event handler.

2. u could use remoteExec and remotely execute whatever should be executed on variable change. (maybe u don't need the entire setVariable thing then)

ideally I would want to have stacked event handler for the variable change because I need the value of the variable in multiple GUIs and need to update the current GUI when the variable changes

I think u could do that with remoteExec and setVariable. no need for an event handler:

// On server
_player setVariable ["test", 123, true];
remoteExec ["UpdateYourGUIs", _player];

3 minutes ago, sarogahtyp said:

I think u could do that with remoteExec and setVariable. no need for an event handler:

// On server
_player setVariable ["test", 123, true];
remoteExec ["UpdateYourGUIs", _player];

Maybe, but that reminds me of one problem. how do you know variable "test" is updated by the time remoteExec function is called on client?

could just pass the variable needed as argument though...

4 minutes ago, gc8 said:

could just pass the variable needed as argument though...

this ;-)

Imho, the "public"  _player setVariable ["test", 123, true]; is the only thing to keep on mind. And probably conceived to make it smart and light for networks.

There are so much causes to load the network, if you can skip another useless remoteExec...

So, yes a simple test in a loop, local on client of course, is the best thing to do.