specialsmith

How do you manage AI-mod / no AI-mod on your server?

Hi all,

I'm having this huge issue with AI-mods. I mean it is common knowledge ArmA without AI-mods like VCom or ASR is not that fun. Now then, if you want to run e.g. VCom on your dedi, it means ALL missions run on the dedi will have VCom on. Some great content - missions, campaigns - just do not want you to use such mods due to compatibility issues. They might have some already integrated, or then made so that an AI-mod could break them. Now there are also things like Tactical Combat Link - Type X, and I would be very keen to run that for tests as well (warm memories of GroupLink 1..n), but I'm torn because the difficulty to set the server so that it supports optimal gaming experience for many different mission types and theaters.

Should one run two (or more) servers side by side with different AI-mod (or no AI-mod) setups? How to solve this?😕

How is it common knowledge Arma AI is no fun without mods?

Your speaking out of your arse here a little. Arma AI is overly criticized and not understood by people who say its bad AI. Arma AI is a challenge,and IS fun. Its up to the designer of the mission how "fun" they want that AI to be...

Il tell you whats not fun...building alot of your missions around AI mods that dont stay supported,or watching your frames tank because of them and then raving how Arma3 has shit performance.

Geneisis did alot of awesome things with VCOM and its fun,but i think people dont realise that vanila arma3 is more than functional and fun,while challenging without the AIMBOT AI of yesteryear.At this moment VCOM AI doesnt work rite and will break the AI in some ways,thats not fun IMO.Its an ongoing project and im sure genesis will improve it.

But after thousands of hours of AI mods,going back to vanilla with intelligent mission design such as good use of the gaurd waypoint etc...its alot more fun IMO.

So when you say its common knowledge arma isnt that fun without AI mods,remember that most of the community actually prefer vanilla from what i can see.

• Like 2

@redarmy You are absolutely correct. This was not the best opening, that is certain. And you're correct as well, it's wrong to mock ArmA 3 original AI and assume most would enjoy the same mods as I. Apologizes for the unfair start.  😕

And I agree with you, the FPS issues and some really silly functional issues that often come with the AI mods are lame, and do ruin the experience when they happen. Then again, the OG AI when behaving stupid makes gameplay lame.

I do agree with you, careful mission design with some of the available randomization feaetures found in OG ArmA editor make gameplay feel "authentic" enough. In our crew at least the feel of "authentic" situation comes from couple things; unexpected and 'smart' behaviour of the enemy. Sometimes the OG AI is way too easy to anticipate, e.g. they tend to walk to the same doorway following the same path one after another.

I made a short video some time ago to demo some of these different behavious of the AI with different mods, or without. I'm interested in these things so that I just might do some more 'research' on them in near future...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BmqWValX3A&t=1s

@specialsmith While I like both mod, ASR hasn't been updated in almost a year and VCOM hasn't been updated for months.

So give this new mod a try (it has good genes)

• Like 1

[mention=772885]specialsmith[/mention] While I like both mod, ASR hasn't been updated in almost a year and VCOM hasn't been updated for months.
So give this new mod a try (its has good heritage)

Yup. Haven’t run extensive tests yet, but planning to do so. I remember GroupLink from OFP already.
  • Like 1

You know what would be so nice? If ArmA dedicated server mission lobby had a parameter to choose AI mod or none. Like there is the difficulty option.

....and that brings me to ask: could you make “custom difficulty” to kick off VCOM or other AI mod? That would basically be enough to solve this issue that some missions benefit of AI mods while others don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk