redarmy

How would i force AI pilots to spot distant enemy?

So iv got a scenario,iv made it so that my AI pilots in a unarmed helo will loiter at 500 or 1000 meter altitude.

They are part of the sides High command ,and therefore,any enemy they spot,will become marked on the map for the side to see.

Problem is ,even at an altitude of 250 meters,with spotting skills maxed out and set to combat mode for some extra awareness,they do not see the enemy rite below.The enemy in question are some NATO transport and fuel trucks(5 spread out,in open fields) and three rifle squads.If i set the pilots to fly at default height,they get shot at,and die.

I cannot use set captive on them as they will be put on civilian side and therefor not relay enemy positions to rest of side.

I understand theres a "knows about" command but i dont think it will work,as the enemy being spotted may be created dynamically and i therefore wouldnt be able to force he pilots to see a specific unit.

Im sure theres a way to achieve getting the pilots to see enemy from a high altitude i just cant figure out how.

Any advice on how to go about it?

1 minute ago, sarogahtyp said:

You can reveal a specific target with reveal command

Thanks but as i stated ,i do not want to reveal specific targets as they will be introduced dynamically.

1 minute ago, redarmy said:

Thanks but as i stated ,i do not want to reveal specific targets as they will be introduced dynamically.

I think you have to... but maybe some other guy has another solution...

• Like 1

Put this in the init field of your heli :

nul = this spawn {

_heli = _this;
	_spotDistance = 2500; // change it as you wish

while {alive _heli} do {

{if ([side _x, side _heli] call BIS_fnc_sideIsEnemy) then {_heli reveal [_x,4]}}
	forEach (_heli nearEntities [["Man", "Air", "Car", "Motorcycle", "Tank"], _spotDistance]);

sleep 1;
	};
};

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crazy_Man said:

Put this in the init field of your heli :

nul = this spawn {

_heli = _this;
	_spotDistance = 2500; // change it as you wish

while {alive _heli} do {

{if ([side _x, side _heli] call BIS_fnc_sideIsEnemy) then {_heli reveal [_x,4]}}
	forEach (_heli nearEntities [["Man", "Air", "Car", "Motorcycle", "Tank"], _spotDistance]);

sleep 1;
	};
};

I was thinking it would needed to be done in a "cheaty" kind of way like this. But none the less it should suffice.

Cheers mate

you could introduce a chance to reveal a specific enemy unit and a randomised sleep value. it would look less cheaty then.

also it is possible to implement a line of sight check to get only units revealed which can bei seen by the heli

not tested but with the above written features:

_d = this spawn 
{
 params ["heli"];	

// modify behavior below
 _spotDistance = 2500;
 _spotChance = 20;
 _minSpotTime = 5;
 _maxSpotTime = 30;
 _visibility = 0.3;
 // modify behavior above

_heliSide = side _heli;

while {alive _heli} do 
 {
  _helipos = getPosASL _heli;

_enemies = _heli nearEntities [["Man", "Air", "Car", "Motorcycle", "Tank"], _spotDistance] select
  {
   [side _x, _heliSide] call BIS_fnc_sideIsEnemy and (random 100 < _spotChance) and
   {([_x, "VIEW", _heli] checkVisibility [_helipos, (getPosASL _x)]) > _visibility}
  };

{
   _heli reveal [_x, 4];
  } count _enemies;

sleep _minSpotTime + random (_maxSpotTime - _minSpotTime);
 };
};

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sarogahtyp said:

not tested but with the above written features:

_d = this spawn 
{
 params ["heli"];	

// modify behavior below
 _spotDistance = 2500;
 _spotChance = 20;
 _minSpotTime = 5;
 _maxSpotTime = 30;
 _visibility = 0.3;
 // modify behavior above

_heliSide = side _heli;

while {alive _heli} do 
 {

_enemies = _heli nearEntities [["Man", "Air", "Car", "Motorcycle", "Tank"], _spotDistance] select
  {
   [side _x, _heliSide] call BIS_fnc_sideIsEnemy and (random 100 < _spotChance) and
   {([_x, "VIEW", _heli] checkVisibility [_helipos, (getPosASL _x)]) > _visibility}
  };

{
   _heli reveal [_x, 4];
  } count _enemies;

};
};

Hey thanks man,i tested it but its causing errors.I can paste it into units init if i remove the "modify above/below behaviour" but its not working when testing.

Just curious but i assume this way as opposed to Crazy_man's way would cause a hit on performance considering its doing visibility checks,correct?

31 minutes ago, redarmy said:

Hey thanks man,i tested it but its causing errors.I can paste it into units init if i remove the "modify above/below behaviour" but its not working when testing.

Just curious but i assume this way as opposed to Crazy_man's way would cause a hit on performance considering its doing visibility checks,correct?

idk. just test it and if it has an impact then delete the visibility check condition.

Next step is to modify the reveal chance by distance:

_d = this spawn 
{
 params ["heli"];	

// modify behavior below
 _minSpotDistance = 100;   //below this distance _maxSpotChance is the chance for revealing
 _maxSpotDistance = 2500;  //distance where _maxSpotChance is the chance for revealing
 _minSpotChance = 10;      //chance to reveal far targets (_maxSpotDistance)
 _maxSpotChance = 80;      //chance to reveal near targets (_minSpotDistance)
 _minSpotTime = 5;
 _maxSpotTime = 30;
 _visibility = 0.3;
 // modify behavior above

_minSpotDistanceSqr = _minSpotDistance ^ 2;
 _maxSpotDistanceSqr = _maxSpotDistance ^ 2;

_heliSide = side _heli;
 _ factor = (_maxSpotChance - _minSpotChance) / (_maxSpotDistanceSqr - _minSpotDistanceSqr);

while {alive _heli} do 
 {

{
   [side _x, _heliSide] call BIS_fnc_sideIsEnemy and 
   random 100 < (_minSpotChance + ((_maxSpotDistance - (_x distanceSqr _heli)) * _factor)) and
  };

{
   _heli reveal [_x, 4];
  } count _enemies;

};
};

Now I ask who is cheating?

EDIT: moved some calculations out of loops

Edited by sarogahtyp

1 minute ago, sarogahtyp said:

idk. just test it and if it has an impact then delete the visibility check condition.

Next step is to modify the reveal chance by distance:

_d = this spawn 
{
 params ["heli"];	

// modify behavior below
 _minSpotDistance = 100;   //below this distance _maxSpotChance is the chance for revealing
 _maxSpotDistance = 2500;  //distance where _maxSpotChance is the chance for revealing
 _minSpotChance = 10;      //chance to reveal far targets (_maxSpotDistance)
 _maxSpotChance = 80;      //chance to reveal near targets (_minSpotDistance)
 _minSpotTime = 5;
 _maxSpotTime = 30;
 _visibility = 0.3;
 // modify behavior above

_minSpotDistanceSqr = _minSpotDistance ^ 2;
 _maxSpotDistanceSqr = _maxSpotDistance ^ 2;

_heliSide = side _heli;

while {alive _heli} do 
 {

{
   [side _x, _heliSide] call BIS_fnc_sideIsEnemy and 
   random 100 < (_minSpotChance + ((_maxSpotDistance - (_x distanceSqr _heli)) * (_maxSpotChance - _minSpotChance) / (_maxSpotDistanceSqr - _minSpotDistanceSqr))) and
  };

{
   _heli reveal [_x, 4];
  } count _enemies;

};
};

Now I ask who is cheating?

Haha sweet man,more authentic ,less hacks. 

Il put this to use.

cheers

26 minutes ago, redarmy said:

Hey thanks man,i tested it but its causing errors.

show the errors of ur .rpt and maybe I can help to get rid of it but I can't test the code at work ;-)

27 minutes ago, redarmy said:

those visibility checks are done only if all other conditions are met. It's done by lazy evaluation. I think this will not have a big performance impact.

23 hours ago, sarogahtyp said:

show the errors of ur .rpt and maybe I can help to get rid of it but I can't test the code at work 😉

those visibility checks are done only if all other conditions are met. It's done by lazy evaluation. I think this will not have a big performance impact.

Cheers man i appreciate it.I think i got it figured out now.

Il do some more messing with it when i get online