Homesick

Arma 3 - Creator DLC Discussion

On 5/20/2019 at 5:10 PM, the_one_and_only_Venator said:

General CDLC/ Global Mobilization Suggestion

Currently the community seems to be very divided about the new CDLC concept of BI. This has appearently to do with the fact that the CDLCs are dividing the community more than any other regular DLC ever did into those who bought it and those who didn't.
Players who did not buy the CDLC can not join servers or missions where any asset is used. Be it a vehicle, weapon or a simple piece of headgear. This is unlike the former BI DLC model where only restrictions applied.

I can understand the argument that it would be simply a lot to download if everyone had to download every CDLC without actually being able to use the stuff. But I believe that there is a pretty simple workaround:

This would include Players who did not buy the CDLC still not to be able to join any mission that uses the CDLC maps or map assets (the asset point is debatable as APEX has shown).

The - what I believe is the best sollution - would be to seperate the CDLC into two parts, that would still be bought together (or not?!).

The first and larger part would be the map and the map assets. This would be only available to those who bought the CDLC.

The second part would be the units, vehicles, weapons and equipment stuff. This would be available for download for everyone owning the game (while still be optional to download). For those who bought the CDLC it would include every asset with no restrictions.

For those players who did not buy the CDLC the same restrictions of BIs DLCs would apply.

This would solve the issue of Players not being able to join missions that use CDLC vehicles, weapons, etc. but still keep it completely optional to download any content that may apply restrictions to the player.

As a positive side effect it would also provide players who bought the CDLC with the flexibility to only download the map or the other assets (which some may find usefull but it definitely doesn't do any harm).

I would be very happy if this or any other sollution would be thought about.

Have a nice day everyone,

Venator

That's a good idea and I would even extend this model.
A content micro-management system for ArmA3.
I've described several times that ArmA3 is best understood as a platform that focuses on the engine and the technicalities, and where the actual content is secondary.
If we had the opportunity in the launcher to precisely select which content we would like to have installed or loaded at all, we could solve all the problems.
I imagine it this way: Instead of the DLC and MOD tab we have a CONTENT tab. Here, all contents of ArmA3 are listed either alphabetically, by category or by package (DLC / MOD).
We have the categories: Maps, Assets, Missions / Campaigns, Units, Vehicles, Gear. This could be further specified in wheeled and tracked vehicles, helicopters, jets, boats, as well as weapons, uniforms / rucksacks / vests, etcetc. maybe also after factions and sides and in any case one should be able to define also own categories. Here you have the option to choose two things: installed and loaded. If Installed is selected, it will also be installed on the PC, and if loaded, it is in the game. People with good internet and little storage and people with bad internet and lots of storage are both satisfied.
Furthermore one should be able to decide with all content, whether one installs it or not, also with the Vanilla content. For example, people might opt out if they are dissatisfied with the setting of ArmA3, or they simply are not interested in installing nothing at all from the vanilla content and instead only using mods.
This system would also be readily applicable to CDLCs. With Mods one is already indicated whether one needs other Mods for it. In the same way one can proceed with DLCs.
In the game you would possibly just get a message that certain things are not installed, as it is now the case with mods.
This should have a positive effect on both memory usage and load times.

I wonder if there will be any campaign and / or mission pack as CDLC.

That could be interesting to have something like Resist or Callsign Minotaur

• Like 1

How do non owners of this DLC access the buildings? Someone told me today that the buildings were added to Arma for the non owners? Is this true? Wanted to verify for sure.

hi here 🙂 i also try to developing one dlc for help me to finance my free projects for arma3 🙂

the futurist looks from arma3 permit also to works a vintage elements in arma3 for a survival post apo mods 🙂

i working actualy one a customisable frame packs addons for that.

im realy so glad to see we can add campfire simulation on backpacks but this working to half because we c'ant interact with backpacks memories points.

for better understanding on this project i encoutering 2 issues for developing this idea.

why campfire on backpacks? just for add a light sources on backpacks memories point.

i add a old lantern on my framepack and want works animations with lights and fire effects.

the first issue is we c'ant use user animationsource for hide diferent parts of framepack and unhide selection when element is add in backpack.

we can only use setobjecttextures for simulating that but is not a best way because a shadowvolumes nor working corectly after hiding selection.

the second issue is we c'ant attach corectly an element on backpack memorie points in config or by script.

you can see that on this movie:

i sugest to implement interaction with backpacks memorie points for add a really awesome scripting possibilities 🙂

and implement a custom animations in models cfg without ofpman2skeleton bones dépendecies for animate a backpacks elements 🙂

this also can be used for others works on backpacks models.

Cordialy Cervantes.

• Like 2

so i have seen some brush off statements about the CDLC GM. 

all CDLC should be included as part of the base game frame work. it has worked up until now for all the official DLCs why is GM done differently. it completely changes the build of the game for no good reason other than to split those of us who brought it and those who did not.

the assets in the CDLC are exceptional and would be a great addition for use in the base game. we can always keep the "do you want this DLC" banner for the non owners. allowing for greater variety and game play. after all we did buy this CDLC

It should not cut our play options in half

16 hours ago, darkdrift3r said:

all CDLC should be included as part of the base game frame work. it has worked up until now for all the official DLCs why is GM done differently

That was talked about extensively in this thread and elsewhere. The gist is: I don't want to download 30+GB of content right now.

It's especially funny when I'm not at home and the other computer with a bad internet connection won't let me start the game, because it first wants to download updates for the next 12 hours. It's a pain for mods as well, but here at least it is possible to unsubscribe first.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lexx said:

That was talked about extensively in this thread and elsewhere. The gist is: I don't want to download 30+GB of content right now.

It's especially funny when I'm not at home and the other computer with a bad internet connection won't let me start the game, because it first wants to download updates for the next 12 hours. It's a pain for mods as well, but here at least it is possible to unsubscribe first.

Yes, with the limited storage on SSDs, I know that I don't want 30+ GB of content that I'll never use, burning up my drive. 

• Like 1

500 GB SSD costs about 40-50 euros, why keep a game at low gb's count. GB is cheap these days, other games are above the 60gb of space. (i bet the map is 20 gb big, they don't need to add that)

Arma 3's player peak only rises when they release an Update or a DLC with content.

Alot servers are dieing at the moment because there is nothing new coming, if all servers are gone you got nothing to play on.

I wouldn't say that the ColdWar Creator DLC has good content and should be part of Arma 3, but Bohemia should atleast let the Community decide if the next creator dlc's should be part of Arma 3.

Everytime they release a new Creator DLC they split the Community bit by bit, its impossible to run a server with just the Cold War Creator DLC. I've tried it, i had like 20 players in one month on it, on my Vanilla servers i got like 20 per day or hour.

I like the way they did it with the weapons, units and vehicles by spamming the player with advertisment. Thats the way to get more players buy the DLC, they should of done that with the creator DLC in first place. The Map shouldn't be downloaded like they did it with Apex and Contact.

I know that some players are not happy with more GB decisions, but comeon upgrade your pc. First everyone asks for 64 bit, so the memory limit raises, but the gb limit isn't allowed to be rised. Space is cheaper then memory.

It's not only about space on the hdd/ssd but downloading a bazillion GB on a slow and/ or limited internet connection.

3 hours ago, ArYxRayx said:

500 GB SSD costs about 40-50 euros, why keep a game at low gb's count. GB is cheap these days, other games are above the 60gb of space. (i bet the map is 20 gb big, they don't need to add that)

Arma 3's player peak only rises when they release an Update or a DLC with content.

Alot servers are dieing at the moment because there is nothing new coming, if all servers are gone you got nothing to play on.

I wouldn't say that the ColdWar Creator DLC has good content and should be part of Arma 3, but Bohemia should atleast let the Community decide if the next creator dlc's should be part of Arma 3.

Everytime they release a new Creator DLC they split the Community bit by bit, its impossible to run a server with just the Cold War Creator DLC. I've tried it, i had like 20 players in one month on it, on my Vanilla servers i got like 20 per day or hour.

I like the way they did it with the weapons, units and vehicles by spamming the player with advertisment. Thats the way to get more players buy the DLC, they should of done that with the creator DLC in first place. The Map shouldn't be downloaded like they did it with Apex and Contact.

I know that some players are not happy with more GB decisions, but comeon upgrade your pc. First everyone asks for 64 bit, so the memory limit raises, but the gb limit isn't allowed to be rised. Space is cheaper then memory.

Well Arma 3 is now 7 years old, so of course servers are dying, dlc isn't going to chance that. The first creator dlc was released last April, and the Steam Chart data showed that month still saw an overall loss of players for Arma. 

As for drive space, I have a 500 gb SSD, and even with a minimal number of games installed, half my drive is already full. I can assure you that I do not want 30+ gb's of content that I'll never use on my drive.

With no sign of Arma 4 in the foreseeable future, the Arma series is dying, nothing is going to change that.

• Like 1

you dont always need a new game to keep arma alive. (enough older games exist with a bigger player base)

They did good job with their recent DLC's, apart from forcing players to buy a DLC to play a Map. (Tanoa/Livionia, they could of added advertisement to them too, in some kind of way)

New content such as Weapons, Vehicles, Uniforms, Units and placing Objects is missing in Arma 3. I remember APEX, it had everything.. even a really nice Coop Mission through Tanoa. In my opinion the best DLC.

Any new Arma will take way more Harddisk space, so why not let Arma 3 have it.

In my Opinion the creator DLC wasn't well thought of, if they would of released it as a normal DLC, no one would of cared about gb space at all. I hope the next creator DLC will be part of Arma 3, and not split the Arma 3 Community more.

Hmm well the creator dlc series clearly shows all the glory that Arma can bring  even today but at the same time brutally shows all the shortcomings and how outdated it really is. I also think there is no real need for a new game but on the other hand even I will stopp buying dlcs at some point if the tech behind the plattform is not brought to a new level.

• Like 4

Prairie Fire was 10/10 for me for a post release DLC, was up there with Arrowhead and Tanoa as my favorites over the years, the team that worked on PF did an amazing job and for me was BI quality level.

This new one though is terrible, the difference in quality between this and PF is unreal, its like night and day. BI you gotta do a better job vetting these Creator DLC's, because the last one was near perfection, 10/10 for me but this new one is 2/10. The only thing I like about this DLC is the map is kind of cool but literally everything else is very bad.

Just my thoughts as a long time BI fan since Operation Flashpoint.

• Like 3

Agreeing with much of what’s been said here. Like the idea of CDLCs keeping the game fresh, but the way they’ve been rolled out and are managed really segments the player base and diminishes the reputation of the title.

it’s simple things like being able to easily host the new content on a server, sharing assets and making sure the quality is there.

Honestly, if BI are drifting away from the Arma series, they should let everyone know. Don’t harp on the celebrations or nostalgia of the series if it’s being put out to pasture.

It would be a shame to leave the series in a bad light out of apathy or lack of effort.

Anyway i'll keep, like my unique game, Arma 3 with all DLC and CDLC for long time. When will out a decent hardware with a reasonable price, this game gives tons and tons of fun for years without the crap microtransactions or equivalent bullshits.

• Like 2

Massive update with Global mobilization 1.4

• Like 3

Some news!

Check out the new OPREP about the upcoming release of the 1.4 Update for GM and what new content this update will bring.
Right now we are still in the RC phase but a release of this update is quite close.

Another big item today is the AMA (Ask Me/Us Anything). In July we asked our community to submit questions for us about anything GM related. We have selected about 30 of them that give a good look behind the scenes of GM and the work we do (and have done), including some scrapped projects and content for GM.

You can find the one-hour long video here:

Cheers!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, mondkalb said:

Another big item today is the AMA (Ask Me/Us Anything). In July we asked our community to submit questions for us about anything GM related. We have selected about 30 of them that give a good look behind the scenes of GM and the work we do (and have done), including some scrapped projects and content for GM.

Cheers!

I love this! I wish other cDLC team will do one in the future as well! Even for the official DLC teams like Contact and Law of War!

PS: I do not want to spoil this amazing AMA but I agree with both developers about your favorite vehicle for IRL! I love the outdoor and 100% agree with your comments! It's too bad it is technically not legal everywhere! 😄

14 hours ago, mondkalb said:

Some news!

Check out the new OPREP about the upcoming release of the 1.4 Update for GM and what new content this update will bring.
Right now we are still in the RC phase but a release of this update is quite close.

Cheers!

OMG Peenemünde!