mondkalb

Arma 3 Creator DLC: Global Mobilization - Cold War Germany

I really like this DLC but I miss some stuff I expected to have and also have seen in screenshots.

I have the feeling some vehicles have a lot of hidden features I would like to activate such as, build up the antennas of the FuFü M113, Fuchs and BTR, use the sirens from Polizei and Feuerwehr vehicles, pulling down the front shield of the Fuchs, usable crane of the Bergepanzer and so on. It feels very unsatisfying to have all these things and features but you can't use them because they don't have keybindings or no functionality.

ss_f34f04c3f6b591463395b65de4de92634b92f

Also where are the helmets with grass on top?

OOYXy9m.png

Otherwise than that I really like the DLC so far, the map is a little bit dull at some points but I can understand that performance wise, the sounds of some vehicles could be improved but the overall feeling is great. I'm looking forward to see new stuff implemented over time, especially Helicopters and general improvements and maybe the Biber will have a comeback too^^

3 hours ago, PuFu said:

never?

it's a 3rd party paid CDLC. i don't get why some of you think interiors in tanks are worth having to begin with

Must be a personality thing but I also enjoy Tank interiors and would consider them crucial if I were paying for a DLC/MajorMod. To me its no different than wanting a cockpit to a plane -it gives a sense of individuality and more of a "you are there" feeling then some sort of open slot which only reminds me of being face up in a Hospital MRI machine. 1st thing I do when getting in any new vehicle in Arma is ALT-Look around - then its "allright, game on"

• Like 4

13 hours ago, bullet purveyor said:

Literally a few seconds into the first mission an apc-driver flattens one of my squad members in the street😁

Haven't played GM yet, but this has been worrying me ever since I learned part of the campaign focus on a tank platoon.

AI driving, as it is now, seriously limits what can be done in mission-making, given the number of issues it inevitably causes, including in the most straight forward settings.

It is one big part of gameplay that is broken, and quite frankly it's a shame that it has been left in such a state - especially now that the CDLC initiative has kicked off : it's one thing creators will have to get by, and it will reflect on the overall feedback.

20 minutes ago, froggyluv said:

Must be a personality thing but I also enjoy Tank interiors and would consider them crucial if I were paying for a DLC/MajorMod. To me its no different than wanting a cockpit to a plane -it gives a sense of individuality and more of a "you are there" feeling then some sort of open slot which only reminds me of being face up in a Hospital MRI machine. 1st thing I do when getting in any new vehicle in Arma is ALT-Look around - then its "allright, game on"

....interiors are simply the current ArmA III standard. We were left under the impression that GM would fit with that current standard.

It is also quite unclear to me how the palyer is supposed to find servers or hosts running thatg DLC.

The single player campaing seems currently broken.

20 minutes ago, Beagle said:

....interiors are simply the current ArmA III standard. We were left under the impression that GM would fit with that current standard.

It is also quite unclear to me how the palyer is supposed to find servers or hosts running thatg DLC.

The single player campaing seems currently broken.

The current standard has been in the game for barely a year and you guys demand realistic interiors from a team of two developers who have already provided the largest official map and a bunch of other fully detailed content. What a joke.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fanatic72 said:

The current standard has been in the game for barely a year and you guys demand realistic interiors from a team of two developers who have already provided the largest official map and a bunch of other fully detailed content. What a joke.

If that would be the only point for critizism, it would not weight in that heavy, but it is not.

16 minutes ago, haleks said:

Haven't played GM yet, but this has been worrying me ever since I learned part of the campaign focus on a tank platoon.

AI driving, as it is now, seriously limits what can be done in mission-making, given the number of issues it inevitably causes, including in the most straight forward settings.

It is one big part of gameplay that is broken, and quite frankly it's a shame that it has been left in such a state - especially now that the CDLC initiative has kicked off : it's one thing creators will have to get by, and it will reflect on the overall feedback.

Yes I agree. Was really hoping Bohemia would make an effort to upgrade certain aspects of the AI during the arma III life span. Everything including infantry and vehicles operating together very often ends in comedy or broken missions. Sadly it's basically the same or worse than it has been for the last ten years.

It's really a shame, because I truly enjoy to play single player missions in this game when everything work as it should, but more often than not the AI goes and does some incredibly stupid manoeuvres that just ruins the fun.

Maybe a parameter to force AI infantry to keep X metres away from friendly vehicles could solve a lot.

BI, I would happily pay for an AI enhancement DLC 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I really love this DLC and its setting, really love it, my only one disappointment about this DLC is the fact that there are not tank interiors which should be in line with main game and its tanks DLC, we're not talking about a mod after all, but about a paid DLC.

BTW it's great.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Beagle said:

If that would be the only point for critizism, it would not weight in that heavy, but it is not.

So what is really your point Beagle? I've read everything you pointed out which is constructive criticism although a bit harsh IMHO. My intent is not to attack you I'm just curious to understand. Broken stuff on the release is nothing new in the ArmA verse.  I do understand your disappointment to a certain point.  In order to provide a DLC up the standards, you were expecting can't be done by a two men team only. You should know that you are a veteran. Moreover, your great knowledge when it comes to the German military is definitely putting you into a position to be more critical than the average Joe. I understand your disappointment but geez it was done by two developers.

I don't know but I'm willing to cut them some slack because for being honest I didn't expect it to be to the highest standards in the first place because it can't be done by only 2 guys and I bought the DLC without regret and I'm off being a fanboy for quite some time now. I believe it will be improved over time  I personally witnessed every game launch since CWC except ArmA 3 there's always stuff that is broken and not working as intended. I haven't explored the DLC yet, I'm busy with RL issues.

Just my two cents.

• Like 5

Played the first two missions of the campaign

my impressions so far...love the map, gear and vehicles and especially the german radio protocol ..the whole thing feels very authentic and the cringy midi sound track also adds a lot to that 🙂

I am also ok with the amount of content for the first trelease but this really needs some air units. 

Mission briefings are very nice ...no dramatic story ...cold war is getting hot just when you are doing your 15 months military service..missions are soild and straight forward and this is how it would have been.

But honestly...as much as this shows how Arma can shine as a plattform...it also shows unsparingly how limited and outdated it is in many aspects. AI  nearly kills any immersive moment, which is sad and absolutely no fault of this awesome DLC 😕

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The weakest spot has always been Ai driving ground vehicles it persists since OFP. It seems there's nothing that can be done to fix it.  If I would get a Dollar every time I witnessed AI being overrun by Ai ground vehicles I would be a rich man by now. It seems it can't be fixed.  Nothing has changed in that regards for over 18 years. I learned something in all that time tinkering in the editor. The AI is unpredictable and I really doubt that they will ever get fixed. ArmA has his flaws and we've learned to live with them although at times in extreme frustration. You either hate it or love it. We most probably do both.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fanatic72 said:

Didnt demand jack from nobody so no need to be a dick. These forums are for opinions -in my humble opinion I prefer to be able to see the inside of the vehicle im in -some of these go back to OFP times so no its not just a one year expectation. Its simple, if it doesnt meet my needs i simply dont buy, i have no ill will towards the team whom develop them, on the contrary, Ya Salut -good fortune and success on their endeavor. This project IS sanctioned by BI so that is where i feel the need to make my displeasure known or else they will *warning slippery slope argument incoming* feel less pressure to include interiors in their own projects in the future.

• Like 1

Please , please make official dedicated zeus servers for the DLC. It seems that the normal zeus servers are only made for non-optional dlcs. If you made either dedicated servers or just unlocked the maps on normal official server i would be very happy. The servers are a great alternative for a casual player like myself 🙂 

My feedback : I totally lost it when I saw the experimental P2A1. I can't begin to imagine all the stupid missions we can do with that. Genius!

EDIT : just fired it. Man, that reload anim! I wish the DLC authors could see the silly smile on my face right now...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, nettrucker said:

The weakest spot has always been Ai driving ground vehicles it persists since OFP. It seems there's nothing that can be done to fix it.  If I would get a Dollar every time I witnessed AI being overrun by Ai ground vehicles I would be a rich man by now. It seems it can't be fixed.  Nothing has changed in that regards for over 18 years. I learned something in all that time tinkering in the editor. The AI is unpredictable and I really doubt that they will ever get fixed. ArmA has his flaws and we've learned to live with them although at times in extreme frustration. You either hate it or love it. We most probably do both.

In fact I have the suspicion that AI was better in Armed Assault, at least it felt a lot more autonomous back then. You can easily tell the difference when you put yourself as a subordinate to an AI leader. AI in Armed Assault did much betetr then, it also called in support by its own when Support units with an support waypoint were available. Also the retreat and regroup routines were better.

Convoys, for example, were not a big problem prior to ArmA III.

Back to GM, yes of course im overly critic. this DLC is depicting something I lived trough, both the iron curtain as well as the 15 months mandatory service.

O.K. "Der Kuchen ist gegessen". Global Mobilazation is not a complete fail, but i really exspectet more and i really did not exspect that important functionalities were simply removed to avoid inconsistencies, creating more inconsistencies.

What could be done:

Basic "perfect" ArmA III Night vision for vehicles and specialized weapon systems is better then none. This would remove the current daylight only aspect from the DLC.

Add optional detachable NV optics for MILAN and AT-4

All Vehicles that had night vision, either build in or in form of NV periscopes, should have that function in GM.

Maybe an true IR Floodlight is possible in the same way the IR Flares in vanilla work.

A handheld night vision observation device like the FERO 51 would be appropriate for the Bundeswehr with one device at squad (Gruppe) level for dedicated infantry like Jäger and Panzergrenadiere. I have no clue what was used in the NVA.

The non functional Illumination with flares is an issue that was discussed a long time ago, thats an fault of the lighting engine in ArmA III.

Same for range finder. Manual input only for range ist O.K. but rangefinders itself were no arcane magic in 1983. There are more ways than laser based designs. First hit probability was  very important, since armour was deemed secondary at that time in tank vs. tank warfare. Gun stabilization, lead computation (analog) and rangefinding and optics was were the competition took place, not primarily bigger guns and more armour like in WW2.

Unfortunately, old school nightime warfare without overall NVG use was better simulated in ArmA 2 compared to ArmA 3, since Flares did work there, both, 40mm as well as illumination rounds from mortars since ArmA 2 was made with factions in mind that had no to little night vision capabilities.

Some "quirks" are not engine limitations but by design, just an example: the top speed restrictions of both civilan Vehicles,. The Trabant 601 and the VW 1200 could both go easily over 100km/h  (124km/h for the 1200) The current top speed limit of 75 and 80 reminds me a lot of ArmA 2.

All Panzerfaust and RPG type warheads have a much to catastrophic impact on unarmoured and light arnoured vehicles. The "total destruction on first hit" is back, after it took a while to patch it out of ArmA III.

Another big issue with nights now is that AI is damned good at killing you even without night vision, while the player is mainly blind.

Please remove the hands from the gunners MG3 optics on vehicle mounts, the proper stance for the period  would be with the supporting hand at the butstock not on top of the upper receiver. The FLA Visier could also solve that.

The quality of the Models in the DLC is outstanding im really impressed with the trucks and Fuchs in particular. It would be a shame if the overall impression remains resticted by missing but important functionalities.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nettrucker said:

In OFP, it was easier because the ground was flat - hence the vehicle didn't have trouble rolling over a rock.

Also, a few weeks earlier, someone pointed an interesting thought that would be worth digging:

Although the AI is in a vehicle, it seems to act like it is on foot and has no awareness about the vehicle - which leads to situations where AI gets stuck.

For example, a road and a roadblock, it's doesn't pass around it because an infantry man wouldn't be stuck.

Being in a vehicle, it gets stuck.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Wiki said:

In OFP, it was easier because the ground was flat - hence the vehicle didn't have trouble rolling over a rock.

Also, a few weeks earlier, someone pointed an interesting thought that would be worth digging:

Although the AI is in a vehicle, it seems to act like it is on foot and has no awareness about the vehicle - which leads to situations where AI gets stuck.

For example, a road and a roadblock, it's doesn't pass around it because an infantry man wouldn't be stuck.

Being in a vehicle, it gets stuck.

that would explain a lot, also the refusal to go backwards.

2 hours ago, Wiki said:

lso, a few weeks earlier, someone pointed an interesting thought that would be worth digging:

Yes I remember bringing up this in another thread earlier this year. Also another way to ease up the pain of mech infantry getting run over is to simply make the ai infantry run out of the way maybe something like and invisible bubble around the vehicle and the infantry tries to keep out of this bubble.

Also Liability Insurance by Rydygier is a mod that is a must have for those kinds of missions.

Other than that I understand that people want nvg and tank interiors but I feel these are things that can be added in later on. 

1 hour ago, B_Fox said:

Also Liability Insurance by Rydygier is a mod that is a must have for those kinds of missions.

I also use Liability Insurance in this kind of mission but in this particular case I think it is not necessary because the soldiers in the GM campaign have super-powers. If they get run over by a tank they simply get up a few seconds later and continue their march as if nothing has happened. They don't seem to feel any pain, they don't even get their uniform dirty - these guys neither need a liability insurance nor a life assurance! 🙂

Loving the new map and all the new assets, I can live without the interiors but are there no airports?

I realize this is based on real world data, but having at least 1 or even 2 airports would be nice, or maybe I just cant find them?

2 hours ago, rowdied said:

Loving the new map and all the new assets, I can live without the interiors but are there no airports?

I realize this is based on real world data, but having at least 1 or even 2 airports would be nice, or maybe I just cant find them?

You can easily use the "Autobahn" as auxiliary airstrip. Thats would even be absolutely correct for a cold war incident.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beagle said:

You can easily use the "Autobahn" as auxiliary airstrip. Thats would even be absolutely cortrect for a cold war incident.

AI pilots can't though.

8 hours ago, haleks said:

@mondkalb What would be the best place to report issues or bugs?

There are extensive feedback channels on their Discord, including one for bugs. 

https://discord.gg/8uSktM

• Thanks 2

@ Beagle thanks for your reply which is appreciated. I hadn' had the chance to test anything but without NV engagements are going to be difficult in nighttime conditions. As you stated the AI will have an advantage over any human player.
I believe that this can be fixed though, at least on a functionality level. I don't know about the modeling side of it.  

I did some testing back in A2 with convoy driving. I noticed that the team leader of the group never enters the first vehicle you placed in the editor. He took seat most of the time in the second or third vehicle, which caused havoc because once the AI entered the vehicles they started to reposition themselves. The team leader starts to get into the lead position seated in the second or third vehicle I placed. The ensuing chaos which developed made convoy driving completely unreliable, It took the AI ages to get back into the right positions before actually moving to their next waypoint. Group convoy driving has always been a nightmare.

AZCoder once told me that he experienced some hilarious stuff in ArmA 3 concerning vehicles veering off the road running over friendly units. It seemed to him that the AI in ground vehicles did it on purpose. They were actually going off road to hit the friendly AI.

Well, the best thing the community can do is pointing out bugs and giving advice on what can be improved.
Cheers

• Like 1