LoRo

Easy and fast method to generate Satellite Mask

This method is the one I use, I do not know if someone else uses it, that's why I share it, I see that many people do this task manually with a brush, in my project I have a really big satellite texture, separated into 16 tiles of 27526x27526px, so I needed an agile way to automate the process, and to match each of the tiles

The solution was to use the indexed color mode of PS, summarize the satellite to 5 or 6 basic colors to which it comes closest, and I can use the Magic Wand and Paint Bucket tools to create new layers with the colors of the layers.cfg (Tolerance = 0 / without Contiguous)

Satellite

VExQ3JZ.jpg

Image > Mode > Indexed Color (You can use some extra colors if you want to differentiate something)

hJXX83e.jpg

Indexed

yuDOey9.png

Overlapping colors

11SDukU.png

Zoom

Spoiler

MqeXhmF.png

Another improvement I got is to work with 2 different resolutions for satellite and mask, initially because of the size of the map I worked with m / px = 2 with 1024px tiles

zsKIalk.jpg

but I was not satisfied with the ingame result of the mask, so I changed am / px = 1 and doubled to 2048px (we must keep the same amount of "Tiles in Row"), but only regenerated the mask (and with it new .rvmat files)

eN4tM9T.jpg

In this way I improved the resolution of the mask and kept the files of the satellite and normalmap (and I kept the size)

You can download the following 2 images to compare the difference of definition and therefore of hd texture assignments

Mask 1024px
5uJRXfF.png

Mask 2048px

1yIFd8A.png

• Thanks 1

tiles have nothing to do with resolution, that's just the size the images get cut up into in the layers folder. An also controls how many colours you can have in an area, most people use 512 x 512 as it gives you more surface detail and greater control.

And if you are changing to 1m/px from 2m/px but keeping the same image, TB will resize and add extra colours to the mask. Which you don't want to happen as it will push you over the colour limit

1 hour ago, RoF said:

tiles have nothing to do with resolution, that's just the size the images get cut up into in the layers folder. An also controls how many colours you can have in an area, most people use 512 x 512 as it gives you more surface detail and greater control.

I think you do not understand the point, do not confuse resolution with definition, you can work with the resolution you want (satellite and normal), but if you have an imported mask of higher resolution you can work double alone with it

1 hour ago, RoF said:

And if you are changing to 1m/px from 2m/px but keeping the same image, TB will resize and add extra colours to the mask. Which you don't want to happen as it will push you over the colour limit 

mine is just an example not a recommendation, if you work with 1m / px and 512x512, you could generate your mask at 0.5m / px and 1024x1024, the amount of tiles would be the same, and the area of each tile would also match with its satellite and normal (and the number of colors), but its resolution would be double, and its definition more precise.
the result within the game is very noticeable, you get a separation of materials softer, and not so square

download the 2 images, zoom and compare