If I may wax poetic for a bit- Honestly I think the struggle you've highlighted here is something people in a lot of creative fields face, and I know I've faced it myself when it comes to writing. There's a drive when you create something to share it with people, to excitedly stick it up on the proverbial tackboard and go "Look! look at the thing I made!" with pride- after all, I genuinely think a large reason people make things in the first place is for the joy it brings people when it's shared. But at the same time, the other side of that coin is familiar too; that fear that your hard work will be taken, stolen, mishandled, misattributed, etc. You have something that is special, that is your creation, and the fear of that due credit being lost, of that pride being shot- it can be utterly crippling. As a kid, I spent far too little time growing creatively because of that exact fear- so much so that I only started really writing in earnest in my 20's.

But I think the approach you mention here is, ultimately, the most mature one a person can take. You can't prevent people who would be terrible from being terrible, and the only people you hurt by never letting your work of love see the light of day are the people who would genuinely adore it- and yourself. You can't drive out or prevent evil, I think wiser people than any of us have tried that for most of history- but you damn well can bring good into the world- and speaking as someone who has been enjoying the long-overdue fruits of your efforts with his friends for the better part of the past week, believe me when I say you've done a lot of good by us!

Keep fighting the good fight, guys- we're thankful for every day you do. 😀

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2019 at 10:16 AM, j0nes said:

From the vehicle department Im pleased to be able to release a small WIP of an upcoming asset.

Hide contents

dTB5g0x.png

Vehicle is looking pretty good! I'm excited to be able to use it

• Like 3

Awesome work! I am so glad that for this spiritual successor to Astfor kinda thing. I am loving the look, sound and feel for all the content; though I hope we will get a version of a uniform that is gloved with knee pads too. Keep up the awesome work!

Are the KM-90s/Galil 5.56mm?

edit: Nvm, I see that the railed version has a different magwell that allows for the stagnag kinda magazines, so I assume it's all 5.56. 

• Like 2

Seeing this back fills me with hope, it proves that, despite all the setbacks and nonsense, a passion project can return from the void.  Welcome back, Yokhanan!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

****PTV NEWS UPDATE****
We've decided to finally open up a section to the community to come join and interact with us. If you don't mind hanging out with a few mentally unstable loonies, swing on by and say hello!

FPZ3kGU.png

• Like 6

Attention Arma 3 Community:

PROJECT TRUE VIKING IS RECRUITING!

Now that the Alpha Release (aka "Askr") has been released and whilst we work on a coming patch for said alpha, the team has completed planning for the next phase of planning for development of PTV (aka "Embla"). Unfortunately, like with most teams as tiny as ours—time for fitting development into life is a major obstacle. What team we have has very limited time due to real life priorities (i.e. work, college, new family, etc), so while we want to continue to develop PTV and start really introducing the "meat and potatoes" of our project, at our current size and scheduling, it's going to be a painfully slow progress. That is why we are trying to once again reach out to our community and try to find an extra pair of hands or two who can help our struggling team progress and meet our goals to the extent that it doesn't take another 3-5 years between releases.

WHAT DO WE NEED?

Pretty much all hands on deck. All help is welcomed help. But some notable areas are the following:

Infantry Division – helping us further with getting more of our infantry kit done so we have a proper and complete package finally, etc

Weapons Division – need help creating important weapons for Askeland and also so we can phase out some old carry-overs from Project ASTFOR.

Script/Config Division – Help implementing all the cool lil ideas and features to make PTV even better such as: ranks/name tags system, understanding and implementation of RHS's grip pod framework and PIP frameworks (BIG THANKS to Reyhardyou are awesome!), etc.

Vehicles Division – help making.....well.....vehicles. Pretty self explanatory, lol.

WHAT SOFTWARE DO WE TYPICALLY USE?

• Blender

• 3DMax

• Marvelous Designer

• Substance Painter

• Adobe Photoshop

• Zbrush

WHAT ARE THE SCHEDULES/DEADLINES LIKE IN PTV? I CAN HELP, BUT VERY LIMITED IN TIME?

Not a problem. We live by "Quality over Quantity—it gets done when it gets done". We always try to fit development around individuals schedules and life the best we can. So long as anyone joining shows they want to be helpful to the cause and not just there to collect dust in the corner and get a free developer title, it's all good. We only require you to be sincere in your desire to help out.

IN CLOSING....
Just to quote myself when I opened the thread: For those out there who self-doubt their skills who want to help—no worries. Look, most of us have been there. Hell we still self-doubt our skills and abilities, lol. Don't let that stand in your way! Most of the guys around on our team are always up to help teach people and help them improve their work when and where possible.

So if you have some experience and want to help, but fear not being too "pro enough" in your thinking, don't worry. You don't need to be some super awesome pro who has been 3d modeling out of the womb or something. We all have to start somewhere. As long as you have the heart and drive to stick to it and serious in wanting to help and grow your skills in the process with a group of mentally unstable idiots—let us know!

Anyone interested in helping, just shoot me over a PM with your information and we'll go from there!

• Like 7

Coming soon™!

NUAdRPJl.png

A9jZcREl.png

Handguard Model: Specter

Textures: Robert Hammer

[EDIT] Forgot to mention as well, that thanks to the awesome Reyhard, we were granted permission to implement the gripod framework so users will be able to pick and attach different grips to our rifles. Right now we just kinda need to find someone who is far more knowledgeable with the whole "how", but rest assured this is something we will be looking into getting working for our weapons in the future! 🙂 😉

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Hi. I have noticed in the arsenal that some weapons feature folded or collapsed butt stocks when you first select them. Once you leave the arsenal, the weapon is fully deployed. Is there a way to fold/unfold the weapons outside the arsenal?

Thanks in advance.

16 hours ago, nillie said:

Hi. I have noticed in the arsenal that some weapons feature folded or collapsed butt stocks when you first select them. Once you leave the arsenal, the weapon is fully deployed. Is there a way to fold/unfold the weapons outside the arsenal?

Thanks in advance.

No sadly , i wish there was a better way to do this - you can do this way or scripted way like RHS does but that isnt ideal tho

PTV Workshop Update LIVE!

Added:
- New 890 M2 variants with new handguard model
- New LLM01  Flashlight weapon accessory
- Uniforms with placeholder glove models
- Custom Squad Group added to Editor. (will expand as our content grows, obviously)
- CBA PIP optics variants added

Tweaks/Fixes:
- MG3 belt visual bug fixed
- New (experimental) 1st person firing sounds for 890's, Negev/Minimi, MG3's. (original sounds located and signed in the Optionals Folder)
- Rate of Fire fixes/tweaks implemented across weaponry
- Mag Proxy changes

Closing Note:

I would like to take the time to thank our supporters for hanging in there. We've had some unfortunate happenings over the recent months that caused complications. We would have liked to have sent this out a lot sooner,  but you know how things always end up turning out--you plan ahead and life ends up messing up your plans. But either way, here it finally is!

Additionally (as usual), I would like to still let the community know we are still in deep need for additional help--whether part time or full time--any help is welcomed help. Namely:

• We would like to get the infantry kit further along and more complete.
  • We are also needing help implementing the grippod system (RHS) for our weapons. We have the models and accessories ready, just need help with the script/config it to get it to work.
  • And we are also looking for a new vehicles-oriented modeler(s) that can help us get some proper transportation going over the coming years of development. I understand with the whole CDLC thing going on, this is probably something that will not be happening for a long time as people are tied up right now with their projects. Even so, I just wanted to let the community know our needs.

Again, should talent out there get our little development "S.O.S.", I do want to state again that it can be either full time help or even part time. We would appreciate any help, period, so we can continue to provide content to our community and see PTV and the Askelandic Forces grow into a much more playable state in the coming years ahead.

• Like 14

First let me thank you guys for the update. Always nice to see my favorite mods getting updated. The new hand guards look awesome and the other updates are also great quality. I hope you guys get the needed help for implementing of the grip pod system, as that would really take the armament to an even higher level.

One question (if you cant /wont answer it, no problems but I'm feeling cheeky and might as well try) :

Will you be adding CBA magazine compatibility for the Socom-16 & SSR/M-80 rifles in 7.62x51 NATO? There are a bunch of additional ammo options available for the M-14 and variants in other mods such as NIArms & RHS that i would love to see on the SOCOM-16.

Keep up the great work and best of luck finding the help you need !

• Like 5

Thanks for the feedback! We'll certainly will have to take a look into getting the CBA compat going for the aforementioned rifles for sure. 🙂

• Like 2

On behalf of the PTV Development Team,

I would like to wish the Arma Community and our supporters a very special Happy Holidays and a great New Year!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Hey I was wondering about the new pmags

are they just a first release or are they complete? The texture on the tan mags is way to light rather than the magpul fde/medium coyote tan of the real ones, they stick out on any gun.

also they have the gen 3 grip on the front/back yet are clearly gen 2 mags? and one last thing, the baseplate is forward a bit.

1 hour ago, GYSGTTAYLOR said:

Hey I was wondering about the new pmags

are they just a first release or are they complete? The texture on the tan mags is way to light rather than the magpul fde/medium coyote tan of the real ones, they stick out on any gun.

also they have the gen 3 grip on the front/back yet are clearly gen 2 mags? and one last thing, the baseplate is forward a bit.

Color is directly based from Magpul site and in Arma it's very tricky to get the color right , also IRL photos it really depends on lighting which makes color darker or lighter to appear

Spoiler

Magpul-Gen2-Non-Window-FDE-30rd-1.jpg

Btw all FDE/Tan parts from different companies don't really fit into each other in terms of color because everybody got its own tone or type to use.

Yes it has front grip bumps but not on back , possibly to fix but that will require quite a redoing the texture and the baseplate is fine even on real pmag gen2 it is slightly forward.

• Like 1

B

7 hours ago, roberthammer said:

Color is directly based from Magpul site and in Arma it's very tricky to get the color right , also IRL photos it really depends on lighting which makes color darker or lighter to appear

Reveal hidden contents

Magpul-Gen2-Non-Window-FDE-30rd-1.jpg

Btw all FDE/Tan parts from different companies don't really fit into each other in terms of color because everybody got its own tone or type to use.

Yes it has front grip bumps but not on back , possibly to fix but that will require quite a redoing the texture and the baseplate is fine even on real pmag gen2 it is slightly forward.

I see, doesn’t everyone just love the mysterious ways arma works.

and on the base plate it sticks out front accurately but the back isn’t flush to the mag like the photo.

2 hours ago, GYSGTTAYLOR said:

B

I see, doesn’t everyone just love the mysterious ways arma works.

and on the base plate it sticks out front accurately but the back isn’t flush to the mag like the photo.

Oh i see what you meant , yea that can be fixed quite easily

Project True Viking Seeking 3D Modellers to help with the projects backlog of infantry-related assets that need doing/tweaking.

This is an ongoing project that has no deadlines. Unfortunately our team is extremely tiny and we still have a lot that needs doing over the coming years ahead. We could really use all the help we can get to grow our project for the community to enjoy. We have put together a public Trello board showing everything that is planned for Project True Viking and thus, what we could really, really use help with. Any help is welcomed help—whether it be part-time help, full-time help, project asset donations, etc. You can find the public Trello board here:

https://trello.com/b/Tst1X847/ptv-infantry-to-do-list

For any questions regarding helping Project True Viking's development, feel free to contact me directly or (preferably) joining the official PTV Community Discord here:

https://discordapp.com/invite/88SpSYW

• Like 1

Coming soon™ to Project True Viking ( official Askelandic designation name TBD )

W1AsveOh.jpg

C4rleZMh.jpg

wb5aRaUh.jpg

[A very huge thank you goes to Avery of Arma 3 Aegis who helped me out big time with some templates to help get me started and bring us steps closer to finally being able to provide our fans with some transportation finally in the near future!]

• Like 11

Thanks for the updates, the new retextures look awsome! Congrats also on the integration of the foregrip system on the Galils. Will you add compatibility with foregrips from mods like RHS / MGM grips  or will it be limited to your own content due to coding/animation restrictions? Will we see the foregrips implemented on other infantry weapons (the shotgun and the M14 / M1A come to mind)?  Keep up the great work and keep safe.

21 hours ago, nillievanloo said:

Thanks for the updates, the new retextures look awsome! Congrats also on the integration of the foregrip system on the Galils. Will you add compatibility with foregrips from mods like RHS / MGM grips  or will it be limited to your own content due to coding/animation restrictions? Will we see the foregrips implemented on other infantry weapons (the shotgun and the M14 / M1A come to mind)?  Keep up the great work and keep safe.

I would like to use other grips from RHS for example but this system is very limited so we have to use our own , which isnt a big deal tho , about other guns - shotgun doesnt have rails so likely no and m14 got bottom rail but only for bipod

PTV UPDATE V1.4 - RELEASE!

Changelog:

Added:
• Helmet variants with Goggles
• Helmet Variants with Goggles cover
• More Aimpoint w/ 3x Magnifier versions
• PPEffects implementation to optics (i.e. outside blurring, etc)
• IR Laser/Flashlight combo model

Fixes/Tweaks:
• various small tweaks and fixes

BONUS Addition:
• first implementation of various retextured vanilla ground vehicles to give the community at least something to use to transport forces around in missions as temporary placeholders for the planned counterparts:
Hunter - (placeholder for Mowag Eagle V's)
AFV-4 Gorgon - (placeholder for Boxer AFV)
FV-720 Mora - (placeholder for CV90)
MBT-52 Kuma - (placeholder for Leopard)

• Vehicle's included come in Woodland, Winter Woodland and Desert pallets that you can choose in the vehicle garage when placing in the 3Den editor or Zeus.

NOTE CONCERNING VEHICLE RETEXTURES:

Spoiler

These are first passes, so not as dirty as I had wanted. I did an "oopsie" in Photoshop when doing the Leopard with some of the layer masks, so I was not able to bring over the dirt layers to remask for the other vehicles. So I'll have to try to remake it from scratch again. I got annoyed at how much of a pain it is to retexture and not have the splinter look all weird with horrible seams and breaks everywhere which was a bit draining. So I opted to just release them as-is and will go back over them maybe in the future if we still can't find anyone to help us out with modeling the proper planned vehicles.

Also in the future we will be adding in the HEMTT's as MAN Truck placeholders as well as the Hummingbird, Mowhawk and Hellcat's for helicopter roles and also the Sochor as a standing placeholder for the K9 Thunder self-propelled 155 mm howitzer. It just takes a lot of time to do and match. So hang in there, they are coming! 🙂

SPECIAL THANK YOU:
The PTV Team would like to take a moment to give a very big thank you to Avery of the Aegis Mod for sharing with us some templates to make retexturing placeholders a lot less of a horrible nightmare to do. Super big thanks, Avery!

GfKdoaT.png

• Like 8

Sadly I have requested the thread to be unlocked so I can let people know that Project True Viking (formerly Project ASTFOR) will no longer be able to continue forward in development for the foreseeable future.

The main and biggest reason is simply PTV does not have much of a team anymore to be able to progress the mod forward.

I have just recently come back from a 4 month separation from PTV to survey the current situation and came back to a ghost town for the most part, which verified my conclusion. It's time to put PTV on the shelf and just be thankful for what was able to be accomplished. Some bailed on us, some just moved onto more important life things, some just kind of vanished since this Covid thing happened (still hoping they are safe and ok!), and anyone left just prefer to be silent for months. We've also had the occasional individuals approach us offering some cooperation or help then just kind of vanish completely. And seeing how many people are tied up in other projects and CDLC development for a long time into the future, recruiting help is a wasted effort and makes no sense to keep trying. So pretty much to sum up our situation: the horse is not merely dead, it has been mowed down by an mg3 at this point.    

A more personal reason for me that I've been dealing with for quite some time now is that I also have been dealing with feeling like an outsider in my own project.

See, when I started with this spark of an idea back when it was ASTFOR, I didn't want it to be a mod with this super serious environment and development crap. I guess what I was hoping for was something that would grow into a group of good friends that have fun bringing it to life for us to enjoy and for the Arma Community to experience and enjoy as well. I guess (as pathetic as it sounds) through making this dumb little mod about a non-existent Nordic country in the Armaverse....I wanted to make a place where I felt I belonged finally too. I suppose that comes from growing up with my disability and forced to go through life feeling alone. People either didn't care if I existed or constantly get bullied since I was an easy target that can't fight back. So continuing investing my heart and soul into a project where I feel like an outsider around those around me as an adult just doesn't make any damn sense.

My health has also been on a decline for awhile now. Something I've been trying my hardest to hide from family and friends. 38 years of a neuromuscular disease that even after years of blood work and muscle biopsies (while constantly battling a pretty sh*t healthcare system that would rather you just die off) just to always get told, "you're an enigma and we can't help much" sucks. If you are wondering what life has been like for me living with my muscular dystrophy--picture the worst flu you ever had. Kind of like that--all of your muscles hurt and feel like they are made of jelly. That's pretty much my daily life 24-7. So you can imagine how I felt when Covid happened, since I am also considered one of the high risk people and been working hard to ninja myself around trying to avoid it at all costs, lol.

I suppose life and everything combined just finally broke me down too much and I don't have it in me to watch PTV slowly and helplessly sink into the abyss like that horse scene from The NeverEnding Story every day little by little. I'd rather end it on my terms than see it end up like it's creator--slowly wasting away and unable to do anything to stop it. I've sat here for 3 hours staring at this message fighting myself over whether to submit it or delete it. So this was not an easy call to make, but it is the only call I feel makes the most sense to make.

I will make one promise though: IF something changes in the future--especially if Bohemia ends up fiiiiiiiinally surprising us all someday with an Arma 4 official announcement 🙏--then I'll try my best to try reviving things again. Here's hoping for an Arma 4 someday!  🤞🤞 *fingers crossed* 🤞🤞

In the meantime we do have one more little tweak/fix update in the works, which will be the last for now.

Spoiler

(Side Note: I also would like to give a big thank you to Toadie for the shout out to PTV in the Community Profiles interview. That recognition totally caught me off guard by a lot and meant the world to me, personally. Never considered my dumb little idea to be worth much to be on a well known community member's radar. So it certainly was a nice surprise. Not sure if Toadie ever checks the forums here, so if anyone talks to Toadie--please deliver my thanks and appreciation on my behalf.)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 15