outlaw2101

Forcing landing craft to move in straight line

Heyo

Just got a quick query about forcing an AI controlled vessel to move in a straight line to a beach. I recently got back into tinkering with the Arma 3 editor and I thought I'd try my hand at a beach landing however I have run into a frustrating issue. 

I have one Landing Craft commanded by a squad of three men - driver and two gunners with a separate squad of infantry riding in it. The landing craft has a "Transport Unload" way-point on the beach - that's it. They are commanded to drive the landing craft to the beach where the infantry jump out and move to their own "Seek and Destroy" way-point inland.

The problem I am facing is that the AI commandeering the landing craft has a habit of zig-zagging all over the place which often causes the AI infantry in the vessel to get killed by incoming shots so by the time it arrives at its way-point most of the infantry are dead. I just want the landing craft to drive straight to its way-point and unload its troops - no evasive manoeuvres or fancy sailing skills. I've tried setVelocity, disableAI and setting their Combat Mode to Careless - I've tried multiple scripts and even attempted to set a path via markers however I've hit a dead end. I've seen recommendations on using  Bis_fnc_unitCapture and Bis_fnc_unitPlay however my scripting skills are extremely limited and I'm afraid I'd have no idea how to set that up.

Cheers

I'm not an experienced mission designer but what I've read about it should be a good idea to let the driver have it's own group and setting its behavior to careless and its combat mode to blue. Also disableing all drivers AI settings except of the ones needed to follow waypoints should be a good idea as well.

I had a similar issue and what I did was to set the driver alone in CARELESS mode via his initialization field. Apart from that I removed every rock blocking a straight line path no matter the rock's depth. To remove the rocks I used the necessary module. Also I changed the starting position of the craft a few times and tested it about 5 times just to be sure. It is Arma so even moving the unit a meter to the left might make it follow its given commands. Last but not least you might need to disable damage because if the craft is damaged then it might act like crazy no matter what.

• Like 3

I haven't tried in boats but in land vehicles if I have the driver in one group on his own and give him waypoints he's fine but if I move another unit in as say gunner the vehicle just stops.

It used to work in A2/OA.

All of the above is good advice:  Driver in separate group.  Driver set to CARELESS.  Clear the path of rocks to the beach (I'd do that last if nothing else works).  Also consider setting a Move waypoint short of the beach, and placing a trigger there.  When boat reaches trigger use setVelocity to push it up the beach (should guarantee no retard ai swimming in circles).  Then the infantry can disembark.  I've had no problem using this technique with landing zodiacs, and team disembarks on beach.

Your last resort is to use UnitCapture and UnitPlay so boat travels exact desired path every time.

• Like 6