cheimison

OFP GotY v. CWA

So I have the original Operation Flashpoint, one guy I know has the OFP GotY that GOG released years ago, and I also see that Steam is selling it as CWA.

Presumably the GotY is the updated/expanded OpF, basically the same one I have, and I know CWA is basically a re-branding more than anything. But in terms of content is there any difference? I ask because looking at Steam the install for CWA is smaller than the OFP my buddy has. Is this just because GOG includes a bunch of desktop images, etc. or is there actually some in-game content that was in that old GotY that isn't included in CWA?

As far as I can remember GOTY is v1.46 and does not include the Resistance expansion. CWA is version 1.96 and includes the Resistance expansion. If you have an OFP Cold War Crisis (GOTY) cd key you can use that to install CWA.

• Like 1

As far as I can remember, GOTY did include resistance, though when I say far, we're talking more than 12 years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JdB said:

As far as I can remember GOTY is v1.46 and does not include the Resistance expansion. CWA is version 1.96 and includes the Resistance expansion. If you have an OFP Cold War Crisis (GOTY) cd key you can use that to install CWA.

Cool, I am going to play through ArmA first anyway, but I was wondering what the differences were.

i remember that i had goty version that i bought in a supermarket more than 10 years ago, it had Resistance, cwc and red hammer campaign included, i can't remember what version number it was though, i only remember that i had to download the 1.96 patch to play in multiplayer, so if i remember correctly games are the same except that your friend should have the red hammer campaign and you don't (except if you downloaded it separatly)

I originally had the Gold Edition, which came with OFP and Red Hammer as well as some of the patches and content updates BI released in the period between OFP release and Resistance release. If I remember correctly, you still had to patch to 1.46. Gold Upgrade was a standalone package with the content updates and Red Hammer. Resistance was released after this in 2002(?).

I then picked up GOTY which must have been in 2005(!) and it came with OFP, Red Hammer & Resistance along with the 1.96 patch.

In 2011, OFP became known as Arma: Cold War Assault when BIS released a small update for the game for its 10th Anniversary, bringing it in line with the Arma series which launched in 2006/2007. This update brought the game to 1.99, however, it didn't include Red Hammer which was produced by Codemasters and not BIS. If you have OFP installed with Red Hammer, you can simply move the campaign file and VoiceRH file into the same directories in the CWA folder to have the Russian voices and campaign.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I confirm what @-Snafu- says: GOTY provides also the Resistance content.

When I setup the server, in the far 2011~2013s, I used it widely - on my website there are still the stats, uha!

On 4/5/2019 at 11:15 PM, JdB said:

GOTY is v1.85 and you had to download the patch for 1.96 and it included all 3 OG campaigns. CWA is Cold war crisis and Resistance, doesn't include Red Hammer campaign. If you have OFP GOTY then you can download CWA for free and just upgrade to 1.99

• Like 1