The Black Fox

Make static vehicles drivable?

There are some static vehicles (like the giant dump truck on Tanoa, bulldozer, there's evena  really nice trawler model) that would be entirely plausible to turn into actual pilotable vehicles and I don't know why you here at BI didn't (especially with the trawler) make them drivable.

Is there any way I can make them drivable through scripting or no?

If not, how would I make them into vehicles?

Technically, the earth mover, bulldozer and crane are buildings, not vehicles, which is why they can't be driven. How hard would it be to make them driveable? Probably very - if it was easy you'd think someone would have done it already.

The trawler might be a simpler job because it is already a boat and there would be less to change. But the model is missing crucial parts. Try walking on the trawler deck and you'll see.

Basically, all these objects are meant to be be scenery, not usable assets.

I'm all in favour of a scripted lash up and those are ingenious, but I'd never use the them for players. AI, perhaps, but not players.

36 minutes ago, Tankbuster said:

Technically, the earth mover, bulldozer and crane are buildings, not vehicles, which is why they can't be driven. How hard would it be to make them driveable? Probably very - if it was easy you'd think someone would have done it already.

The trawler might be a simpler job because it is already a boat and there would be less to change. But the model is missing crucial parts. Try walking on the trawler deck and you'll see.

Basically, all these objects are meant to be be scenery, not usable assets.

As far as the trawler goes a simple addForce command will make it move, should be neat enough to see it move along the coastline.

Too bad those vehicles were never meant to be driveable, missed opportunity and another feature reduction looking back at arma 2 and its driveable boats and tractors...

Cheers

• Like 3

The Trawler is easy to move for AI. I did it in two of my missions (Leper Island and Last Tango in Tanoa 1).  You can see the moving trawler in action in the video at top of Leper Island link. You simply attach the trawler to a boat or mini-sub that has an AI driver.   You position the trawler so the ai driven boat is inside it and not visible to a player (and to the rear so you see the wake behind the trawler).  Give the AI driver waypoints and it moves nicely.  It can turn crazy because ai driven boat's turning radius is much smaller, but if you give it mostly straight waypoints with gradual turns it looks fine.

The big static submarine can also be moved by attaching it to a mini-sub.

Regarding @phronk's drive boat/goat video, great minds think alike!  haha.  I've never see that video until just now ( @phronk I swear I didn't rip you off bro!), but I built JBOY_Longboat exactly the same way.  Hide the zodiac and attach a longboat to it, then it is a fully usable wooden boat for players and AI.  I also provided option of attaching a usable static weapon to front  of wooden boat.  See the video at top of this JBOY Longboat post.

As for the heavy equipment, you could attach them to a hidden ATV like Phronk's video, but it wouldn't animate well I don't think.  Maybe for a limited cutscene usage it would be good.  There might be some cool usages of AI driving it though...like a bulldozer pushing a car off a cliff or something (great, now I'm instantly derailed thinking about a Bulldozer script...goddammit I'll never finish my next mission).

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

missed opportunity and another feature reduction looking back at arma 2 and its driveable boats and tractors...

MTE

8 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

You simply attach the trawler to a boat or mini-sub that has an AI driver.

How do I do this? I've attached two MG's on the back of the trawler and a GMG on the bridge, but how do I attach a static to a vehicle?

8 hours ago, sarogahtyp said:

Here is a mod solution for a very nice driveable trawler:

driveable trawler

Very nice! Although I wish you could walk around on it when it's stationary (less than 7km/h)

8 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

As for the heavy equipment, you could attach them to a hidden ATV like Phronk's video, but it wouldn't animate well I don't think.  Maybe for a limited cutscene usage it would be good.  There might be some cool usages of AI driving it though...like a bulldozer pushing a car off a cliff or something (great, now I'm instantly derailed thinking about a Bulldozer script...goddammit I'll never finish my next mission).

What about editing the models into actual vehicles?

Also, I see you used scripts to mount weapons. How would I use scripts to replace the Strider's GMG/HMG with the Gorgon's 30mm cannon?

21 minutes ago, The Black Fox said:

That requires 3D modeling and I have no idea how to do that.  I'm just a scripter.

23 minutes ago, The Black Fox said:

Also, I see you used scripts to mount weapons. How would I use scripts to replace the Strider's GMG/HMG with the Gorgon's 30mm cannon? 

That would also require creation of a new model with a different weapon on the Strider.  There is no way to do that with scripting.

26 minutes ago, The Black Fox said:
9 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

You simply attach the trawler to a boat or mini-sub that has an AI driver.

How do I do this? I've attached two MG's on the back of the trawler and a GMG on the bridge, but how do I attach a static to a vehicle?

Place a zodiac with player as drive.  Place a trawler.  Attack trawler to player's vehicle (the zodiac).  Start mission and drive zodiac around, and trawler will move with it.  You will have to adjust the relative attachTo position until it looks good (zodiac is entirely inside trawler, and trawler as at right height).

Once you have that working, you do the same thing with AI as driver and give the AI waypoints, and trawler will cruise around.  You can attach player or other AI to the trawler so it looks lived on.  And you can attach static mg/launchers to trawler if you want to weaponize it.

Just now, johnnyboy said:

Attack trawler to player's vehicle (the zodiac).

How tho

4 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

There is no way to do that with scripting.

Okay, so how did Bohemia remove the turret from the Bobcat in the IDAP addon?

Also, would you know how to integrate the trawler mod by Dascha listed above into my addon? I've unpacked the pbo into my mission directory and edited config.cpp accordingly.

30 minutes ago, The Black Fox said:

This would still require a bunch of configs settings to work properly. If you were going to that, might as well just do it right the first time and make the boat into an actual vehicle

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Black Fox said:
4 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Attack trawler to player's vehicle (the zodiac).

How tho

attachTo command.  Wiki has good examples.  Follow them.

4 minutes ago, The Black Fox said:

Also, would you know how to integrate the trawler mod by Dascha listed above into my addon? I've unpacked the pbo into my mission directory and edited config.cpp accordingly.

No idea.  I've never made a mod or addon.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Regarding @phronk's drive boat/goat video, great minds think alike!  haha.  I've never see that video until just now ( @phronk I swear I didn't rip you off bro!), but I built JBOY_Longboat exactly the same way.  Hide the zodiac and attach a longboat to it, then it is a fully usable wooden boat for players and AI.  I also provided option of attaching a usable static weapon to front  of wooden boat.  See the video at top of this JBOY Longboat post.

<Insert typical attention-seeking "NO ONE APPRECIATES ME" complaints here>

JK good stuff. 😉

• Haha 2