maxl30

Is "old man" dead ?

Is the project still alive ore dead ?

BIS said in a SITREP that it has been delayed due to "design challanges". I'd assume it's still in development but not a priority.

• Like 1

Still alive. But no definite release date.

13 hours ago, maxl30 said:

Is the project still alive ore dead ? 

Still alive, but every sitrep can't make it younger. Beard is always growing ☹️.

Well, you have to wonder what the status of the project is, it's around four months behind schedule, and not a single update in months.  

I fear we will all be old men by the time it's released... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, EO said:

I fear we will all be old men by the time it's released... 

Aren't we already? 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Dedmen said:

Aren't we already? 😄

I'm well on my way to becoming a cantankerous old man. 😉

Dunno why, but I feel like it's gonna be canceled, just like the SP version of Apex Protocol.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Wiki said:

Dunno why, but I feel like it's gonna be canceled, just like the SP version of Apex Protocol.

like the SP version of Apex Protocol? i hope not!!!if I think about it (to Apex Protocol SP) I feel like crying 😞

Eeep, I hope not. Hopefully they're just over-ambitious as usual and have bitten off more than they can chew in the time. Some more of update (as always for BIS...) would be helpful/constructive.

I'd be happy with a TacOps style mission to be honest, just on a slightly larger scale.

We'll see, but it would be awful for BIS's work on Arma 3 to end on a cancelled project.

To me the funnest element of sandbox is growth and reward in a tangible way. Mount & Blade did this very well -that being, you could feel your fighters animation get tighter and faster as you leveled up as well as the AI. Obviously the easiest way to get this is by depriving the best equipment and ammo buts thats a little too easy, done to death and not that riveting, especially when AI skills are not calibrated properly so the guy with the low end gun still head shots you without fear from far out. Next is adding more emergent behaviours and objects to areas. Things like exploding barrels (yes also overused but wth), electrical poles falling with sparks igniting things, heck even hip firing and using different Rates of Fire -basically things that make the player feel like he can have a very real effect on the game landscape -that's what creates real memories of a gunfight sometimes lasting years later (OFP SLX mod created many such moments). We need things that make the firefight unique every time so that we always wanna go back in -avoiding the saminess of seeing enemy troop in a flock of birds V formation standing around waiting to be attacked, dropping to the ground upon attack (rather than sprinting to real cover) and then flanking player.

On top of that, some GUI enhancements -too big hey Im see mission makers doing *Cough Hunter Six AI Squaddie Skill GUI*, as well as some very precise after battle ballistic reports and rewards. Im sold!  or Im so old

I wouldn't say it's dead, just de-prioritised. We as a community are often critical when things are released that are "less than expected". Maybe they realise this and are taking the time to get it right? I personally, wouldn't mind seeing a remake of the OFP Malden missions on Malden 2035. Or maybe a recreation of the Status Quo mission (also OFP). 

2 hours ago, target_practice said:

Pardon me for being uncultured scum, but what did this SLX mod do?

SLX was the bomb - I remember using it for the Evolution mission when I was wandering around Paraiso with 1 AI squaddie when we got separated -I then heard screaming and rounded the corner to see two soviet soldiers beating #2 to death with a shovel. Another was a squad vs squad firefight near Cayo all withing 100m with just a terrain ridge and a few objects separating us that lasted like 25 minutes in real time -thats an amazing amount of time for such close range in this game. the entire thing was riveting because somehow the AI knew that if you fully stood up -you were dead. It was that rare celestial event when all stars, galaxies and Black Holes line up and the AI were playing perfect squad combat (healing, crawling, evasive moves, taking pot shots and then hitting the dirt). SLX also had a bullet crack that was just so satisfying. Thats just the tip of the iceberg but it was truly an emergent Arma experience and i always secretly hope it pops back up on this forum one day.

• Like 2

Old Man isn't dead. We are currently still working on the project, but we don't have any specific information to share at this moment. 🙂

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, froggyluv said:

It was that rare celestial event when all stars, galaxies and Black Holes line up and the AI were playing perfect squad combat (healing, crawling, evasive moves, taking pot shots and then hitting the dirt).

I wouldn't be surprised if the AI code in OFP had less spaghetti heaped on top of it, which likely made it easier to improve. The lesser complexity of the environments probably helped too, not as much stuff to trip up the pathfinding, vision system and what not.

On 4/5/2019 at 8:09 PM, target_practice said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the AI code in OFP had less spaghetti heaped on top of it, which likely made it easier to improve. The lesser complexity of the environments probably helped too, not as much stuff to trip up the pathfinding, vision system and what not.

SLX also worked in A2 so my guess is that you're already looking at spaghetti with chopsticks levels of AI code

On 4/5/2019 at 1:45 PM, BIS_Homesick said:

Old Man isn't dead. We are currently still working on the project, but we don't have any specific information to share at this moment. 🙂

I guess it will remain like that until 3 days before it hits dev-branch. 🤣

• Like 1

4 hours ago, domokun said:

SLX also worked in A2 so my guess is that you're already looking at spaghetti with chopsticks levels of AI code

Did it work as well though?

37 minutes ago, target_practice said:

Did it work as well though?

Splendidly, provided you sunk a few hours into configuring and testing the parameters.

Though, like many wide-ranging mods, it had a tendency to heavily skew mission design, sometimes irrevocably...