Hello all 

I love Arma 3 and have been scripting/playing it for years but... again... IT'S BROKEN !!!!!

On topic now : 
I'm experiencing trouble with the AI group leader when the FSM is disabled _unit disableAI "FSM"; and they have waypoints. They randomly stop at a waypoint or in between two waypoints without any obvious reason.
If I reactivate the FSM, then they carry on...

Anyone know about this issue ?
Anyone found a fix ? I'm not gonna send another message to @oukej to say the game is broken he'll kill me 😄

afaik the ais brain is its fsm file. when u disable it then u have a hull without a brain.

but why did you disable it?

Edit :
In my experience :
AI without FSM is acts just like the original AI from OFP.
Disabling FSM makes the AI take a bit more risks. 
The AI with FSM is slow, boring, and slow.
Sure it brings realism but it is not what I want.

Now if you guys have the explanations you need, i'm looking for a fix, not to justify myself.

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, Flash-Ranger said:

AI without FSM is just the original AI from OFP.

What makes you believe that? The Biki states the opposite:

FSM: Essentially makes the enemy "dumber". Enemies react slower to enemy fire and the enemy stops using hand signals. Disabling FSM, can give the impression of untrained units as they react slower and are more disorganized than when FSM is enabled. Good for rebel fighters and when enabled better for professional armies.

• Confused 1

Well I guess that's another thing the Biki can't explain with proper words because when I disable the FSM, they run into combat like they did in OFP.
- No stopping every 5 meters to go prone
- No taking cover altho no enemy is around
- No slow progression !

Disabling FSM is the best thing I've done to my scenario... except it has this weird bug I need a fix for !

Can we please work together to find what's happening when : 
- FSM off for AI group leader
- group still got active waypoints
- AI group leader stops for no reason

For now i've got a loop running to check if he is bugged and reactivates FSM if he stopped : 

_FSMon = false;
while {!_FSMon} do
{
    _currentGrpWaypoint = currentWaypoint grp;
    _noWaypoints = _currentGrpWaypoint isEqualTo 0;
    if (!_noWaypoints && (velocity leader aP) isEqualTo [0,0,0] && alive leader aP) then
    {
        sleep 30;
        if (!_noWaypoints && (velocity leader aP) isEqualTo [0,0,0] && alive leader aP) then
        {
            {_x enableAI "FSM";} forEach units grp;
            systemChat "Enabling AI FSM again because Arma 3 is broken...";
            _FSMon = true;
        };
    };
    sleep 1;
};

I didn't know this, I just used

unit disableAI "FSM";

on my cti and the ai don't freeze,

gave it 1/2 hour run on dedi - client, same 4core pc.

I don't re-order my AI for 60 sec so you could be spamming them with orders.

every unit in my cti has,

_unit setVariable["SQU_UnitInfo", [(time + SQU_ReOrederAi),(getPos _unit),locationNull,(getPos _unit),false,[]]];

the only bit you need to understand is SQU_ReOrederAi = 60;

I check if time > _unit getVariable "SQU_UnitInfo"#0 before a domove command

I'll run a longer test in a few hours just in case 1/2 was to short.

I'm also looking for the good old ofp.r days.

• Like 1

Thanks man.

Problem is I am using good old waypoints from the editor. I'm not scripting their waypoints and I don't change their behaviour/stance/formation all the time. Could it be the placing of my waypoints ? I moved them around but couldn't fix.

What I observe is simple, they just run from waypoint to waypoint until they sort of reach a non-existing waypoint for no reason and just stand there without moving. Like they'd be stuck in a bugged loop of something. Then I reactivate FSM and they start following the path again...

Update : 

This is what happens.

1. AI Stops in middle with no reason. He don't go to his current waypoint 

bBk5MOU.jpg

2. When I reactivate FSM, the AI walk of ...
EOdU8lo.jpg

I found an alternative solution : 

disableAI "AutoCombat" instead of "FSM".

I just ran some tests using 2 squads on malden.

only move and cycle WP's

wp on or near bridges caused issues for ai which made some stop, with FSM ON or OFF.

I also didn't find a FPS gain which is what I was looking for and prefer AI movement with FSM on.

glad you found a solution.

• Thanks 1

Oh wow!

Look's like we are messing around with exactly the same problem! :icon2:

Well A.I. movement in general is kind of strange sometimes...

I created a test mission with multiple radio triggers which allowed me to on the fly switch / toggle between diffrent move commands and positions with and without enemy(s) diffrent behaviours and formations all this kind of stuff...

But still i'm not sure what exactly leads to A.I. not moving sometimes...

Looks like environment is a big point!

Mountain / Rocky areas are a mess... A.I. really is not able to properly move through those areas...

Somehow they always manage to mess up their formation...

Most of the time you can get them back to continue moving by using:

{_x doMove (getPos _x) } count (units _group);

or

(units _group) doFollow (leader _group);

which i think will make them kind of clean up their formation and continue moving again.

But just as you already noticed sometimes they stop moving in the middle of nowhere in flat empty areas...

Edit :
In my experience :
AI without FSM is acts just like the original AI from OFP.
Disabling FSM makes the AI take a bit more risks. 
The AI with FSM is slow, boring, and slow.
Sure it brings realism but it is not what I want.

Now if you guys have the explanations you need, i'm looking for a fix, not to justify myself.

Yes that's really true! :thumbs-up:

Disable A.I. unit(s) "FSM" makes them skip all B.I.S. hardcoded micro A.I. cover search behaviour which leads to much faster A.I. movement in general.

About the A.I. not moving problem:

Guess if you use _unit disableAI "FSM" somehow makes given A.I. unit(s) stuck at some point of the FSM file which leads to A.I. not moving.

You can disable all A.I. unit(s) "FSM" once at start and keep them disabled all the time to prevent A.I. stop moving.

Switching it on and off will mess things up!

A.I. AWARE vs COMBAT behaviour:

A.I. group(s) which use AWARE behaviour will move almost exactly the same as A.I. group(s) with disabled "FSM".

Guess you already found a way of how to get them to AWARE even if in combat.

{_x disableAI "AUTOCOMBAT"} count (units _group);

_group setBehaviour "AWARE";

"AUTOCOMBAT" has to be disabled to change A.I. group(s) behaviour to AWARE during combat!

I didn't disabled FSM (or else) but experienced the same problem, on some units. So, I'm rather sure this exact problem can occur without disableAI script.

I'm still trying to understand why a MG gunner (CUP), always this unit, fails to move in flat area on player's order. Very strange. In this case, I Halo jump my group (setpos teleport and allowDamage false/true at the beginning of the jump). Nothing more. All units are OK except this one, applying the same (forEach) script and no matter the map area. Why one unit among 8? Not the first, not the last, reproducible problem? I'm about to try another type of unit, just in case.

• Confused 1

I also see units going unresponsive to waypoints from time to time when they have AI features disabled.  I disable "cover", "suppression", "target", "autotarget" and "autocombat".  I'll have to play with enabling different permutations of those features to see if that gets them moving again.  Occasionally I can move their waypoint with Zeus and they'll get moving.

@JB47394

Occasionally I can move their waypoint with Zeus and they'll get moving.

Yes thats right sometimes it really helps to just make them move 5 - 10 meters to another position and they will continue moving again...

Really really strange... Guess map surface / structure / development could be guilty as well!?

Most of the time i'm on Malden which has lot of flat empty areas and many rocky areas as well.

A.I. movement in flat and empty areas almost works flawless most of the time!

As soon as they move to rocky / mountain areas they start getting stuck / refuse to move.

Maybe A.I. path finding is not optimized for those areas?

@pierremgi

May this could help you: Link