Sign in to follow this  
AlunArk

SATA vs NVME SSD for Loading Mods

I've recently been browsing around for a new 240gb SSD on which I will run Arma from. I noticed that where I live, the cheapest SATA SSD (Western Digital Green) goes for 40 USD, and the cheapest NVME drive (Adata XPG SX8200 PRO) comes around at 52 USD. They both have the same capacity, and the NVME drive uses m.2.

NVME

Seq. read: 3500MB/s

Seq. write: 1200MB/s

SATA

Seq. read: 540MB/s

Seq. write: 465MB/s

I run about 40 mods for the group that I play with, and I'm guessing it's around 40-50gb of mods. This causes a very long load time each time I start up the game as it is currently running on a 7200rpm WD Blue.

I have heard that on other games, NVME drives do not significantly decrease the load time of a game. Will the NVME drive have a better load time than the SATA SSD? Or is it just worth it to stick with buying the SATA SSD? Additionally, are there any other benefits that come from the NVME drive within and outside of Arma 3?

Welcome to the forums.

Additional benefits outside of arma would be if you put your OS on that drive it'll boot up faster, other games you put on that drive may or may not be faster etc. 

Now as for arma, I don't know all of the inner workings of arma but it might be that you have another bottleneck somewhere.  It could be that your hard drive can read it that fast but that it can't be put in your ram fast enough.  I don't know though.  Someone with a bit more technical knowledge will probably answer shortly. 

10 hours ago, AlunArk said:

I've recently been browsing around for a new 240gb SSD on which I will run Arma from. I noticed that where I live, the cheapest SATA SSD (Western Digital Green) goes for 40 USD, and the cheapest NVME drive (Adata XPG SX8200 PRO) comes around at 52 USD. They both have the same capacity, and the NVME drive uses m.2.

NVME

Seq. read: 3500MB/s

Seq. write: 1200MB/s

SATA

Seq. read: 540MB/s

Seq. write: 465MB/s

I run about 40 mods for the group that I play with, and I'm guessing it's around 40-50gb of mods. This causes a very long load time each time I start up the game as it is currently running on a 7200rpm WD Blue.

I have heard that on other games, NVME drives do not significantly decrease the load time of a game. Will the NVME drive have a better load time than the SATA SSD? Or is it just worth it to stick with buying the SATA SSD? Additionally, are there any other benefits that come from the NVME drive within and outside of Arma 3?

Significantly decrease load times = No (practically impercetible in most cases)

Better load time than SSD = Yes

Other benefits = Yes, NVME are so slim and usually installed directly onto the motherboard that it MAY offer better cooling through improved airflow (assuming of course you're not watercooling)

Conclusion: $12 seems suspiciously small premium to pay between SATA & NVME so check the prices, specs, warranty, etc. But if you're right, I'd say go for the NVME.

But be warned a 240 GB will quickly be filled if you install your OS, Arma & mods...

Thanks for the help! I noticed that the price is lower than in most other stores both in my region and internationally, which is quite rare where I live. Luckily, the store has very good reviews and has had many customers in the past. They also issue warranties on all items, but I believe there is a cost for it.

With this, I decided that the NVME will most likely be more worth it considering the tiny price difference. Either way, they both will be a massive improvement to WD Blue HDD.

As for what domukun mentioned concerning the relatively small capacity of the drive, I already have my OS installed on another SSD. Only Arma and maybe some other games will be on the new drive.

• Like 1