The Lerch

The Inevitable Character Wipe

given the most recent news update about the push back of the final game release, i have a few thoughts.

1.) this game is great, but wasn't ready for a full release. good call devs

2.) I am excited about the new things you are looking to add to your game, but relieved to hear that you are finishing a rework of the shooting mechanics, first, as this community agrees that the gun play updates should take priority

With this said, I want to address the most irritating part of playing this game today.... the inevitable character wipe... on a date TBD

I found this game after giving up on playing anthem. a game that was released.... way to early. so i have only been playing for a month and i am at a crossroads. i have enough weapon parts to create multiple top tier weapons, which require a crafting table level of 8&9. my crafting table is currently lvl6. and my attitude towards this dilemma is, "why should I even play?" In the past week, I have played with the idea that the full game would be released by the end of march, and that wipe could come any day now. but now we have no clue when this could come, and i am reaching a point that a lot of the community reached before i even picked this game up.... whats the point? why continue playing? how many hours am i wasting at this point?

what i would like to see is...

1.) A general road map of some sort. give us an idea of a new launch date or a final wipe date

2.) compensation for hours of "testing" your game only to have all progress lost. i know the devs have considered this, but i would like to hear ideas from the community of how the  founders pack players can be reconciled for this loss of time.

I understand why the wipe is deemed necessary by the devs. but there are ways to do this without disappointing the Core supporters (founder pack players) of this game.

An idea i have, would be to do the character wipe a week before the final game release. giving the founders pack players a full week to build before the release.

or being able to keep certain loot (like gun parts) while still resetting shelter level.

let me know what yall think!

Hi Lerch,

You make some good points.

Technically I'm not even sure a character reset is necessary.

Please have a read of some of my earlier posts on this issue. I would welcome your views.

Thank you @The Lerch for your detailed and well thought through feedback.

I understand your concerns and you understand that the wipe is unavoidable which is an excellent starting point for a discussion. 
Indeed we decided to postpone the release date to deliver finished and polished product which means that sadly(or luckily? Who knows)  it also postponed the date of the wipe of progression.
Now to begin with - compensation for the wipe has not only been discussed but it was decided that we definitely want to give something to our players in return. The size of the compensation will be then obviously based on the Shelter level you are currently at.

The wipe will be clearly communicated long before its initial date (2weeks - month) because First- We have to remind the people that were somehow able to completely block-out this information that there even will be a wipe - and secondly - we also want to let our players know in advance so they can start experimenting and go crazy with their weapon stash. 

There are many reasons why we cannot possibly communicate some things too early. there are many articles regarding the wipe itself coming your way (Will be released probably in the next two weeks) so this is pretty much all I can say for now.

Hope this helped.

On 3/28/2019 at 3:49 PM, The Lerch said:

given the most recent news update about the push back of the final game release, i have a few thoughts.

1.) this game is great, but wasn't ready for a full release. good call devs

2.) I am excited about the new things you are looking to add to your game, but relieved to hear that you are finishing a rework of the shooting mechanics, first, as this community agrees that the gun play updates should take priority

With this said, I want to address the most irritating part of playing this game today.... the inevitable character wipe... on a date TBD

I found this game after giving up on playing anthem. a game that was released.... way to early. so i have only been playing for a month and i am at a crossroads. i have enough weapon parts to create multiple top tier weapons, which require a crafting table level of 8&9. my crafting table is currently lvl6. and my attitude towards this dilemma is, "why should I even play?" In the past week, I have played with the idea that the full game would be released by the end of march, and that wipe could come any day now. but now we have no clue when this could come, and i am reaching a point that a lot of the community reached before i even picked this game up.... whats the point? why continue playing? how many hours am i wasting at this point?

what i would like to see is...

1.) A general road map of some sort. give us an idea of a new launch date or a final wipe date

2.) compensation for hours of "testing" your game only to have all progress lost. i know the devs have considered this, but i would like to hear ideas from the community of how the  founders pack players can be reconciled for this loss of time.

I understand why the wipe is deemed necessary by the devs. but there are ways to do this without disappointing the Core supporters (founder pack players) of this game.

An idea i have, would be to do the character wipe a week before the final game release. giving the founders pack players a full week to build before the release.

or being able to keep certain loot (like gun parts) while still resetting shelter level.

let me know what yall think!

I like the idea of something for founders pack members. Not going to lie, I did get a tad upset when I saw after buying founders that it was actually going f2p.. I had only hoped the character wipe would have happened..sooner. Now, heavily invested kind of for the sole purpose of providing feedback (which i have absolutely no problem doing). 
A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad. Take your time.