JBOY Fish School is set of scripts to add schools of fish to an underwater mission.  This demo mission also contains the JBOY SpearGun scripts.

Links:

Demo mission on Steam.

Download zip file of demo mission to load into Editor.

Directions on how to use scripts are in the init.sqf of the demo mission.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Lovely!....Some nice options in there too man, in particular the speed setting. I've been using my animals extended module which received an underwater update recently but this looks much more sophisticated. Thx for sharing.  

Just now, EO said:

Lovely!....Some nice options in there too man, in particular the speed setting. I've been using my animals extended module which received an underwater update recently but this looks much more sophisticated. Thx for sharing.  

Thanks EO, I appreciate it.  Do you have a link to your "animals extended module"?  I'm curious about it.

What a great surprise.
Where did you get all the ideas from?

9 minutes ago, Lucullus said:

What a great surprise.
Where did you get all the ideas from?

Thanks man!  Ideas mainly flow from observing what vanilla arma does, and what is missing.  Half my ideas come alive via two commands:  attachTo and setVelocity (fish schools, flying chickens, longboats, birds of prey, jumping fish, dog attack, etc.).

Then I'll wait for the next surprise, maybe an insect pest ...😈

5 minutes ago, GEORGE FLOROS GR said:

Alias work is always unique !

Just like Johnnyboy's.
But I'll take a closer look, thanks.

• Like 2

Thanks for this one. It has livened up an underwater mission that I'm working on.

Any chance of getting sharks with freaking laser beams?

school.jpg

• Like 3

Inspired by the badass moves of WallStreetBets the last few days.   Beware the little fish.

wallstreetbets.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

Haaai Johnnyboy!

I have a few questions 🙂  if you'd be so kind to answer

So my fish schools just sink to the ground. There's a lot of singleton fish swimming around and they can be shot at, picked up, so the spear stuff works, im sure of that.

I copied the stuff from fishschool demo, swapped the wrecks with smaller ones and rearranged the markers and helpers a little to what i think made sense. Is that the issue? (the lake in which they swim is also shallower than the sea in your demo, idk if that matters, but it's definitely deeper than the setting in the scripts which say at what depth they should be swimming).

The lake is also covered by a trigger that should be spawning jumping fish but ive only ever seen one fish jump out of the water. I have it set at -1 for distance, so random. Is the trigger area the area in which fish will spawn?

Thanks for any insights. Great stuff btw (i was really glad to find out the spear stuff already has a fish counter script...ill use that as a guide on how to create a menial task of collecting 10 fish in exchange for a pass card for example)

edit: lol i just noticed the wallstreetbets pic 😂

16 hours ago, Rok Stuhne said:

So my fish schools just sink to the ground.

Does my sample mission still work?  If so, you need to very carefully replicate the same steps.  I can't see what you've done, so I can't guess where it went wrong.

I haven't looked at the jumping fish in a few years.  In my case the fish jumped at location of trigger, and were triggered when player entered the trigger area.  No reason for fish to jump when player is not near.  I'm sure there is a way to get it to work the way you want though.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 7:37 AM, johnnyboy said:

Does my sample mission still work?  If so, you need to very carefully replicate the same steps.  I can't see what you've done, so I can't guess where it went wrong.

I haven't looked at the jumping fish in a few years.  In my case the fish jumped at location of trigger, and were triggered when player entered the trigger area.  No reason for fish to jump when player is not near.  I'm sure there is a way to get it to work the way you want though.

Yes, your demo mission still works. They swim around the wrecks.

Will try again today, got time.

lol, i had such a great scene in mind......🙌 lake on a tropical island, waterfall, fish jumping from the water, lush and abundance everywhere 🙌

lagoon.jpg

btw, how come the diver can shoot underwater and normal units cant? they just enter swimming animations

also, any rifle can function as the SDAR in the demo? ie underwater harpoon thingy??? cuz i have a legit underwater rifle from the PLA mod im using and it fits the theme im going for real nicely!

Many thanks for any insights! 🙂

9 hours ago, Rok Stuhne said:

lol, i had such a great scene in mind......🙌 lake on a tropical island, waterfall, fish jumping from the water, lush and abundance everywhere 🙌

I love that scene man.  I've always wished they had a fishing pole and fishing animation.  For random fish jumping you would probably have to place some markers, or randomly calculate positions around a center marker, and call my fish jump scripts from a spawned loop script that would sleep a random amount a time, then randomly pick a position, then call my fish jump script.  I know its possible, but you would have to know a little scripting to make it happen.  And see what my fish jump script requires as input.

btw, how come the diver can shoot underwater and normal units cant? they just enter swimming animations

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure that any unit swimming can use the SDAR.

any rifle can function as the SDAR in the demo? ie underwater harpoon thingy??? cuz i have a legit underwater rifle from the PLA mod im using and it fits the theme im going for real nicely!

That should absolutely work. Just look in my script for where SDAR weapon and eventhandlers are, and replace SDAR ammo names with your rifle's ammo names.  When I have time, I plan to do that for the Prairie Fire underwater gun.

Good luck.  Post a little movie or pic when you get it all going man!  🙂