Rydygier

[SP] Warping Plague

Hi, start playing the map yesterday and i like it so far! but think i found a bug and other "problem", after clearing "Sainte Marie", i decided to use the truck that was there, only to find out it move really buggy, like glued to the floor, use sspcm zeus and elevate it a little but nothing change, 5 minutes later, while still there a patrol of 4 men spawn 5 meters behind me, maybe you could put a radius so they don't spawn over the player.(

(I apologize if something is misspelled >_< )

to find out it move really buggy

Hi. Noticed that myself and wondered, if it's just me. IMHO indeed a bug, but it's vehicle bug apparently, I can't do anything about it AFAIK. In one case I was unable to make my pickup even move until saved and loaded that save - then it worked. That made me extra sure, it's a game bug. It wasn't that way earlier in Arma IIRC nor is that way with player's initial quad, so it may be caused by dynamic spawn... I've to test this more out of curiosity, game bug or not. 

still there a patrol of 4 men spawn 5 meters behind me

Are you sure, it was spawned? Because there's quite large safety radius to avoid bandits spawning in the player's view. Not all patrols are dynamically spawned though, some could just wander there. Unless these was creatures, not men, in that case blunt spawn is intended - that's what they do, spawn in. 

EDIT: in any case, for the future version corrected some possible logic gap in the code choosing spawn pos for bandits. Cars issue is more puzzling. No idea, what may trigger this bug, in separate test scenario, that only spawns these vehicles, so far didn't encountered this problem. Anyone else experienced it?

It is well visible in form of these weird vibrations of the truck:

Note constant dust and eject/get out actions switching, like in one moment truck was considered moving and in another - not moving. It's accompanied by very laggy driving. A mystery. 

In the meantime tried again to update to 1.01 Workshop version. Surprise - worked. This way Steam's 1.01 got as sneaky update also today's small correction regarding dynamic part of bandits presence in attempt to avoid reported bandits spawns close to the player. Therefore non-Steam links also are updated to catch up. 

Hi Rydygier, been playing the past couple nights.  Great idea, well executed!

Quick questions.  Any way to get guards (or any AI) to join my group, at least temporarily?  Like say "You 3 guards, follow me", and then later return them back to regular guard duty (should they survive the excursion).  Or maybe it would be a new job for them, like placing them on Squad Duty, or similar?

Also not clear on what Supply count does?  I have been assigning most civs to build materials, in an attempt to house them all.  Does building the warehouses somehow help increase my materials production?  Btw - I read the whole briefing but not this whole thread (yet).

Hi, thanks! 🙂 

So far guards can't join your group. Was thinking about AI subrdinates, but there's some heavy calculation done for the player every 5 sec. regarding radiation exposure (takes into account terrain/object obstacles), which would have to be multiplied per each your subordinate, or they would be mysteriously immune to radiation. Similar thing with some other stuff, like anomalies. So at least for now - no such possibility, not sure about the future. 

As for supplies:

Food is required to feed all of you, will be subtracted each day per each survivor in your town. Without it towners will leave/die;

Ammo is consumed by the guards, when they fire, by turrets etc. Also by you, if you craft a magazine for your current weapon. The bigger weapon, the more magazine would cost. 

Materials has few uses: buildings utilization, food and ammo production, quad crafting, if previous is lost, optional and occasional tribute for bandits, some late game secret use too, I could forgot something more. 

Warehouses give you the space for storing food, ammunition and materials. 

• Like 1

BTW Mision updated to 1.02:

- fixed: announcement about neutralizing The Fittest gang should be displayed only once.

• Like 1

Thanks, roger all that!

35 minutes ago, Rydygier said:

So far guards can't join your group. Was thinking about some AI subrdinates, but there's some heavy calculation done for the player every 5 sec. regarding radiation exposure (takes in to account terrain/object obstacles), which had to be multiplied per each your subordinate, or they would be mysteriously immune to radiation. Similar thing with some other stuff, like anomalies.

I know it might be tough to implement, but Squad AI would extend exploration fun factor by ~10x (for me anyway) so it might be worth it.  Regarding heavy calcs, maybe just cue their radiation directly off what player is experiencing?  Or give them a "lite" version of the calcs?

39 minutes ago, Rydygier said:

Warehouses give you the space for storing food, ammunition and materials. 

So in my couple playthroughs so far, I built exactly one warehouse (in the beginning), and played for many "days" and accumulated many civs.  I had something like ~25 civs ~120 food, ~110 ammo, and about ~120 materials.  But I never noticed any impact from not having enough storage space.  I could always store enough of everything.

Seems I should not have been able to accumulate all that food, ammo, and materials with only 1 warehouse.  Perhaps something was bugged?

Regarding heavy calcs, maybe just cue their radiation directly off what player is experiencing?  Or give them a "lite" version of the calcs?

First would work only as long all of you stick close together. The latter I like more, I'll think about it. In fact I could combine both ways, first, when they are close to you, second for distant units. 

So in my couple playthroughs so far, I built exactly one warehouse (in the beginning), and played for many "days" and accumulated many civs.  I had something like ~25 civs ~120 food, ~110 ammo, and about ~120 materials.  But I never noticed any impact from not having enough storage space.  I could always store enough of everything.

There's a value on the HUD named "Storage". That's your currently available storage capacity. Thank you for this data though, really appreciated, one of the things, I was unable to test thoroughly due to required time is long term resource balance. With your numbers it's not a bug, rather warehouses may give you too much space. Perhaps I'll tune this down. 

BTW, perhaps you noticed, not sure, if I mentioned this, but each survivor you find, the chance for the next one gets smaller. This chance decrease is slow at first, but gets much faster at some point (exponential drop). So the amount of civs to be found is softly capped to avoid overcrowding (and to make player care more about each found survivor...). This simulates rughly the fact, there's limited amount of people left alive on the island. I was wondering, how many of them in the long term can be gathered and stay self-sustained in terms of food production - production gain for each consecutive worker is smaller, than for previous worker, not linear, so difference between 1 and 2 workers is bigger, than between 2 and 3. But it is complex - each worker has some efficiency/talent/experience value, that is growing in time, scouts improve efficiency and also player can find production efficiency boosters. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rydygier said:

First would work only as long all of you stick close together. The latter I like more, I'll think about it. In fact I could combine both ways, first, when they are close to you, second for distant units.

That makes good sense.  Hope I got the gears turning and this becomes a reality!

There's a value on the HUD named "Storage". That's your currently available storage capacity. Thank you for this data though, really appreciated, one of the things, I was unable to test thoroughly due to required time is long term resource balance. With your numbers it's not a bug, rather warehouses may give you too much space. Perhaps I'll tune this down

Roger that, after another playthrough or so I should be able to give some better feedback on warehouse capacity and if storage values make sense currently.  I do know I always had plenty of food and was never worried it would run out.

BTW, perhaps you noticed, not sure, if I mentioned this, but each survivor you find, the chance for the next one gets smaller. This chance decrease is slow at first, but gets much faster at some point (exponential drop). So the amount of civs to be found is softly capped to avoid overcrowding (and to make player care more about each found survivor...). This simulates rughly the fact, there's limited amount of people left alive on the island. I was wondering, how many of them in the long term can be gathered and stay self-sustained in terms of food production - production gain for each consecutive worker is smaller, than for previous worker, not linear, so difference between 1 and 2 workers is bigger, than between 2 and 3. But it is complex - each worker has some efficiency/talent/experience value, that is growing in time, scouts improve efficiency and also player can find production efficiency boosters. 

^ You are touching on an area I think could be expanded/tweaked to increase immersion exponentially.

Few (constructive feedback) points:

1. Indeed, early on I felt like I was finding a civ in pretty much every building.  Unfortunately, this felt very mechanical and wasn't very immersive.  I'd rather get fewer civs early on per day.

2. Finding food, weapons, and materials in buildings "virtually" as implemented currently is a reasonable abstraction which I found to be immersive enough.  However, I'd rather see actual civs out there in the world, hunkered down in buildings and similar, that I can tell about my settlement, and via action or similar actually see them head off direction of settlement.  Then when I get home (depending on how long I took) perhaps they are all there ready to be assigned.  Having the civs out there in the world would also increase exploration dynamics, as the civs would be vulnerable to bandit and aliens, etc, and perhaps tip the player off that enemies are nearby.

3. I think it would be better immersion-wise to find a civ here or there (sparingly), and then every once in a while find a batch of civs all at once.  Player would get a great discovery moment!  Again especially if the civs are actually present on the map.

4. If squadmates are eventually implemented -and- finding actual civs in world implemented, a huge plus would be an option to join them to squad right then and there (if desired).  Then they can come along for the ride/hunt!

^ These are just some initial impressions & ideas.  I know how tough this stuff can be to actually implement.

• Like 1

Thanks, great feedback. I think, your civ idea may be indeed good thing for the immersion, I like it. I'll think, what can be done in that direction. 

• Like 1

I just started playing this mod, and ventured further towards the radio station and... something made of stone, was moving, and when it saw me it started screeching. Honestly, it scared the shit out of me, really. And the sky is turning blacker and blacker the more I move North. Can't even imagine what else is out there, looming around, creeping. It scares the shit out of me even if its broad daylight in game and I love it.

I cannot express how this is sooooooooooo different than anything else I've ever played in Arma 3. In terms of story and thing you can encounter, I damn say it's better than the Contact DLC.

- I did notice that I'm getting a lot of civvies. Also, I assigned some of them to be guards, but I wish to switch them to other roles but it seems I can't do that, not even the day after. Can't assign them to gather material or food.
- Vehicles are a little wonky, like in one moment all of the four wheels are steering, but nothing too serious, mod is way too good for this to be game breaking thing

• Like 1

witch them to other roles but it seems I can't do that, not even the day after.

Should be possible once per day. I'll check that, thanks.

Vehicles are a little wonky

I know, no idea, why it happens...

Some day I'll try to nail down, whatever triggers this bug, it's annoying, although it's not directly due to scripts, so not sure, if anything could be done to fix it. 

I'm happy, you like this scenario, keep enjoying it, for sure aliascartoons's scripts added good, scary stuff to it. 🙂

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rydygier said:

I'm happy, you like this scenario, keep enjoying it, for sure aliascartoons's scripts added good, scary stuff to it. 🙂

I was hasty, I didn't know I need more workshops in order to have more material workers.
As for the wonky vehicles: let's all pretend it's some sort of massive anomaly affecting vehicles making them dangerous to drive xD

I played all kinds of mods; zombies, demons, spaceships, aliens you name it, I always felt comfy 'n' safe in some tank (even tho being blown up).
But this is seriously first mod that, even if I load some tank, I will not feel safe nor comfortable 😄

I'm a fan of aliascartoons's scripts I'm 100% sure there's

Spoiler

Strigoi

lurking somewhere. 😄

Kudos to the both of you guys for this immersion!

• Like 1

I'm a fan of aliascartoons's scripts I'm 100% sure there's

I utilized all, but one, that were available at the time (eleven in total IIRC), although each gameplay 10 is randomized (once, at init, can be one type few times, so you need more, than one gameplay to see all of them). And yes, the one, you mentioned, too. There are also of course warpers themselves along with several other anomaly types (some really hard to find, some hard to overlook), I made, not that scary, but weird, oniric and potentially dangerous nevertheless. Warpers and these, I made, are re-randomized each day. 

The great thing about procedural, semi-randomized scenarios is the fact, even I, creator, don't know what, when and where will encounter, my own creation is able to surprise me. Espiecially, if randomized stuff is interacting one with the other... Most scenarios, I made, work that way. 

• Like 3

Well, I played one scenario, lots of hours, but unfortunately I broke it somehow, my materials went around something 3000/28000 when I cleared a house full of Fittest bandits and got food/ammo/material reward, then I called it a day and my storage went -22800 or something like that, and my psyche was red broken all the time. Called it a day again and it said around 14000 departed from town (??? wut) but after that my food was at -14000. I stopped everything and ended the day. After that, my storage was at 0, despite having storage buildings in my settlement. All the time, psyche was red.

I had quite a lot of material workers, scouts and guards (in that order). Literally one food guy was able to sustain the whole settlement... While things were normal I accumulated food for like 50 days and had it at pause. 

Soooo... any experience with this?

No experience, long gameplay wasn't tested for obvious reason - time required. Pity, I can't review your current values in the code, but details, you provided may be helpful too. Some analytic detective work to do. Formulas rather good, if these would be broken, it wouldn't work properly from the start. Why it was broken at this spot... Which day was it? Turn limit default? Hm. And made Psyche broken - that's a clue too, probably just a consequence of people leaving the town. Thanks for reporting, sorry, you experienced it, but that will help me improve the code, I hope next week I'll be able to push things forward here. 

I cleared a house full of Fittest bandits

One with purple/violet exclamation mark, right? Values gained from that building was reasonable or weird? Materials gain was strange?

Literally one food guy was able to sustain the whole settlement... 

Long term resources balancing will be also modified. Becomes clear, currently it's too generous. So, you had food for 50 days with how many towners?

Called it a day again and it said around 14000 departed from town (??? wut)

Well, your town wasn't very popular suddenly, right? 🙂 Numbers are interdependent. If one gets broken - all goes crazy. I just need to find, which number exactly was broken first and how. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Rydygier said:

No experience, long gameplay wasn't tested for obvious reason - time required. Pity, I can't review your current values in the code, but details, you provided may be helpful too. Some analytic detective work to do. Formulas rather good, if these would be broken, it wouldn't work properly from the start. Why it was broken at this spot... Which day was it? Turn limit default? Hm. And made Psyche broken - that's a clue too, probably just a consequence of people leaving the town. Thanks for reporting, sorry, you experienced it, but that will help me improve the code, I hope next week I'll be able to push things forward here. 

One with purple/violet exclamation mark, right? Values gained from that building was reasonable or weird?

Long term resources balancing will be also modified. Becomes clear, currently it's too generous. So, you had food for 50 days with how many towners?

Well, your town wasn't very popular suddenly, right? 🙂 Numbers are interdependent. If one gets broken - all goes crazy. I just need to find, which number exactly was broken first and how. 

Day 14, I was on unlimited days, and my resource gain was at 1.5 instead of 1. Now, I am playing with just unlimited days, see how that goes, and I won't go Rambo style rushing everywhere, killing everything (I miss grenades really 😑 )

I looted just a regular house that my townsmen told me it has some good stuff, normal rewards 300-400 of each, then I saw materials were around 3000/28000. Okay I had 3000, but 28000? I had lots of people doing materials/scouting, I was playing fast (mainly due to panic mode because the zone is expanding haha), I killed the leader of the gang even before he was mentioned in the nighttime diary. 😅
Next day report said 14000 people left (despite having like 20 or 25 I didn't really count them) but no one left, every was there, doing their job. Closing the report, those 14k just shifted to -14k food and storage went to zero, despite having numerous buildings set for storage. Numbers and psyche just went nuts, everything else was fine.

I think there were no more than 20-25 people in town and I had food for 50 days, but I just had one guy doing food.

Also I had 1 mortar, 6 turrets, quad, suv, smaller truck (not sure if that helps in any way)
I had around 28 Weird Materials, Radiation shield was around 78%. 
I crossed 25% and established contact with the outer world, received first drop.

I just think I was rushing the game waaaaay to fast so some script or something got confused and went kaput. I'm going to try a bit more casual now.
Btw, what happens if the zone covers my town? Can I continue playing? PM me or write it in the spoiler, I just need to know.  😅

Thanks again - these details should help indeed. So the first weird value, you noticed was materials producion at 28000 after the house from townsmen's info. Hm. 

Btw, what happens if the zone covers my town? Can I continue playing?

Nothing particular. You continue, but there's a Zone around your town. Imagine possible consequences (IIRC I was merciful and excluded town radius from anomalies spawn, but not sure). 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rydygier said:

Thanks again - these details should help indeed. So the first weird value, you noticed was materials producion at 28000 after the house from townsmen's info. Hm. 

Yeah, he pointed me to a house where the bandits are, I cleared it out, reward was just something like +300 food, +100 ammo, +400 materials, and then materials went /28000. Next day it was 28000+ the rest I had in stock.

Maybe it was because of the scouts? I had like 12 of them. I know they boost a little bit of everything in addition to fast travel.
Also, I forgot about it, when looting I get boosting production, maybe that got out of control somehow.

Btw, SUV proved (for me) to be the best current vehicle for driving. Quad is way too noisy. 

So far found out, if you take supplies from a crate, and it says, that you gained +x materials, in fact X is added to your materials production efficiency, which could explain sudden, say, x400 bigger materials production. But this happens only for crates, not at looting a house, so I wonder, if it is possible, that abnormal production number appeared in fact at picking up supply drop, and it was already broken at looting guarded house... Still investigating, but it seem to fit. Also as in some places code was allowing calculated negative storage room in production formulas,  that could cause negative food amount, which caused abnormal number of people "to depart" due to 14000 lacking food rations. So I'll also improve the formulas to avoid such results. 

• Like 1

Not sure for 100%, if that fixes reported bug, I hope so, in any case that was the only place, I found, that could cause it and for sure an error to be corrected:

Mission updated to 1.03:

- fixed: materials found in supply crates could break town's economy with abnormal values.

• Thanks 1

I didn't have time to check the changes because of the RL, but I encountered something really weird: my Arma crashes, and I don't honestly remember the last time when it crashed, maybe like two-three years ago.

The first run when the game got broken due to weird food/material/ammo stuff, everything was alright. I was venturing north without a problem, scanning anomalies and collecting WMs.

The second run when I went for the first time north, to the center of the military complex, on the nearest hill was an anomaly that looked like Vortex anomaly in Stalker; the one that sucks you to its center and crushes you, and it was very, very loud. Even from afar. That one I haven't encountered in the first run like you said because of randomizing things. So I proceed to scan the lightning shrub anomaly when poof, Arma has crashed. Loaded the game again - crashed. Tried moving away - crashed. Teleported back to my settlement - crashed. Thrid run of the scenario - same results; crashing. But it seems as long as I don't venture north, everything is fine, the moment I cross some line, game crashes.

So I went to save game folder and deleted everything. Started again, but I'm going to do that again since 1.03 update and going to give it a try. Arma is such a headache sometimes smh. 

I also have to mention, I'm not using the alien mod and weapons. Can that potentially cause issues? 

I can only confirm your crashing experience, sometimes happens same thing to me in similar circumstancies. I wish to know, what exactly causes that but determining is near to impossible due to random and unpredictable nature of that crash - good for tests repro seems not possible to get. Best, I could do was updating my old thread in Troubleshooting section about similar crashes. No constructive response since, figures. This scenario takes Arma into not typical places,  is using the engine in rare ways at times, which also mean - not tested circumstancies and not happening to most of the players may occur, thus there're such risks. BTW it was happening also pure vanilla, no mods. 

In the meantime 1.1 update is work in progress, adding new, requested stuff goes well so far...

• Like 1

Also, one more thing, I rarely get the pointers of treasure on my map, I got it once, it showed a blue triangle on my map. When I search the house, it says pointer added on my map but I don't see the blue triangle.