3l0ckad3

Advice needed, might be worth a laugh

I'll be honest, I don't have a clue what I'm doing, or, if I'm in over my head, which I am, but, I want to try my hand at,,, this,,,, something..
I don't even know where I want to start, so I guess I'll just be that noob who asks direct questions..

-1 am I allowed to goof around with,,, let's say car / character / whatever  models, and make stuff from them as long as I give credit and don't profit from it ? Not saying that is the plan, but I figure I might as well toy around a bit and see where I go, and I don't want legal issues or whatnot, I just need something to work from till I learn.

-2 Where would I find models or whatnot to use, even if only to learn from. 

-4 any advice you could give me and or a friendly point in the right direction so I can start watching some tutorials on the tools themselves, or even advice on maybe where I should start to even get a grasp to work my way up ?

-5 I saw that someone was trying to sell the Arma 3 tools, yet, they were in my steam tools library, do I have to pay ?? is the "free version" a teaser ?

-6 which programs aside from the tools and samples should I consider ?

Anyways, time to fake it till I ma-ke,,, it.
Cheers
Q

On 3/17/2019 at 8:57 PM, 3l0ckad3 said:

am I allowed to goof around with,,, let's say car / character / whatever  models, and make stuff from them as long as I give credit and don't profit from it

No. You are not allowed to debinarize models.

Where would I find models or whatnot to use, even if only to learn from. 

There are online platforms that give away free model files. Google shall help you there.

so I can start watching some tutorials on the tools themselves

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/207631-from-blender-to-arma-3-complete-process-tutorial/

I saw that someone was trying to sell the Arma 3 tools, yet, they were in my steam tools library, do I have to pay ?? is the "free version" a teaser ?

Whatever you saw, it was either illegal or you miss-saw something. Arma 3 tools are free.

which programs aside from the tools and samples should I consider ?

Refer to the blender->Arma tutorial I'd say.

• Like 1

2. Be very careful when downloading models as many "free" models are actually stolen from other games.

4. Before you start looking up how to "do stuff for Arma" you must first learn how to "do stuff". As in all programs have a lot more tutorial material on how to use the tools in general and very little material on how to do some very specific thing so it is best to first learn how the tools work and then apply that knowledge to something more specific

5. If you are referring to Mikeros Toolset then those would be an alternate tool package that improve and add on top of the existing Arma tools. They are not absolutely necessary but can be very useful. They come in free and subscriber versions and the free tools are enough for modding.

6. As Dedmen there said for modeling Blender would be the best choice if you dont know anything yet as it is good and free program.

Also https://pmc.editing.wiki/doku.php?id=arma3:tools PMC wiki is a collection of proven to work methods of doing stuff with Arma and it might be good to set up your tools the way described in them. (The  instructions there do make use of Mikeros toolset too, but that would be for your benefit)

• Like 1