The Black Fox

How do I improve mission performance?

I have a dedicated server for my mission, so it's not a local problem. But I have this weird pulsing lag effect when I play that others don't have.

Even on my B E A S T L Y rig (i7 8700K 5.5Ghz, SLi GTX 1070s, 32GB DDR4 3400, RAID0 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB) I'm getting only 15 to 45fps on 1080p Ultra settings, and my framerate does NOT improve even after lowering settings.

Maybe someone can take a look at the mission?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1669600097

Maybe ?

Windows 10 KB4482887

can negatively influence graphics and mouse performance with desktop gaming when playing certain games, such as Destiny 2, after installing KB4482887.

Fix

Install KB4489899.

• Haha 1

On 3/17/2019 at 6:32 AM, major-stiffy said:

Maybe ?

Windows 10 KB4482887

can negatively influence graphics and mouse performance with desktop gaming when playing certain games, such as Destiny 2, after installing KB4482887.

Fix

Install KB4489899.

I'm on Server 2008 R2 Datacenter with a i7 8700K 5.5Ghz, SLi GTX 1070s, 32GB DDR4 3400, RAID0 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB. I highly doubt Windows 10 KB4482887 is going to affect any performance on my computer.

On 3/17/2019 at 2:45 AM, Gunter Severloh said:

Whats your view distance set at and do you have an rpt you can post?

View distance has minimal effect on performance.

I think the sheer number of AI that I have (180) is affecting server performance. Unfortunately due to well over half of them being patrols that have a tight interlocked schedule (pickups, dropoffs, a normal city schedule, one AI being late can affect the rest of them) I cannot change very many of them to dynamic simulation. Most of the other AI are using presence triggers (600+).

On 3/17/2019 at 7:51 AM, The Black Fox said:

I have this weird pulsing lag effect when I play that others don't have.

Until further elaboration this could have a few causes...

6 hours ago, The Black Fox said:

I'm on Server 2008 R2 Datacenter with a i7 8700K 5.5Ghz, SLi GTX 1070s, 32GB DDR4 3400, RAID0 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB. I highly doubt Windows 10 KB4482887 is going to affect any performance on my computer.

View distance has minimal effect on performance.

I think the sheer number of AI that I have (180) is affecting server performance. Unfortunately due to well over half of them being patrols that have a tight interlocked schedule (pickups, dropoffs, a normal city schedule, one AI being late can affect the rest of them) I cannot change very many of them to dynamic simulation. Most of the other AI are using presence triggers (600+).

View distance and object view distance have the biggest performance impact, next to supersampling.

With 180 AI and 600+ triggers you're bound to run into performance issues which also can vary greatly depending on the condition checks done by the triggers.

To improve performance you can reduce all AI groups to the leader units, so they still patrol around, when any player gets within viewDistance * 1.1 simply spawn in the rest of the group.

getUnitLoadout/setUnitLoadout will do a good job here. Bigger group sizes benefit more from this kind of solution.

This will most likely be the biggest performance improvement, again, depending on what these 600+ triggers are doing.

Edit:

On a sidenote having to render 180 units (if they're within objectViewDistance) will most likely bog down the most powerful GPUs out there, since infantry units in A3 are pretty detailed.

Cheers

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 12:24 AM, Grumpy Old Man said:

On a sidenote having to render 180 units (if they're within objectViewDistance) will most likely bog down the most powerful GPUs out there, since infantry units in A3 are pretty detailed

Yeah, my 1070s are only showing 20 to 50% usage during any given time (SLI seems to be working fine) so it's likely a CPU bottleneck, even though at 5.5Ghz the 8700K still offers immense power.

On 3/19/2019 at 12:24 AM, Grumpy Old Man said:

Until further elaboration this could have a few causes...

View distance and object view distance have the biggest performance impact, next to supersampling.

With 180 AI and 600+ triggers you're bound to run into performance issues which also can vary greatly depending on the condition checks done by the triggers.

To improve performance you can reduce all AI groups to the leader units, so they still patrol around, when any player gets within viewDistance * 1.1 simply spawn in the rest of the group.

getUnitLoadout/setUnitLoadout will do a good job here. Bigger group sizes benefit more from this kind of solution.

This will most likely be the biggest performance improvement, again, depending on what these 600+ triggers are doing.

Edit:

On a sidenote having to render 180 units (if they're within objectViewDistance) will most likely bog down the most powerful GPUs out there, since infantry units in A3 are pretty detailed.

Cheers

Okay, it's not 600 triggers, but ti's still a fairly large mission:

88 compositions, 1811 objects, 289 waypoints, 113 triggers, 2 systems, 74 markers, and 1 comment.

For large compositions and objects, select as many as you don't need (decor, role-playing, etc) and turn OFF the simulation, damage, etc.

You can select large groups all at once. Just drag your mouse over all of them in groups. Then when they are selected, right-click on any then Click Attributes. Then in Special States, turn Off what is not needed. Set them to Simple Objects, etc in mass (top will tell you how many are selected).

When you right-click, since there are numerous items all-at-once, it may take several seconds to load the options panel. Just wait a few seconds.

It'll look like one options panel, but apply to the entire group you selected.

When the properties are adjusted, you should see small Red or Grey boxes on each object to reflect the current settings you set to indicate they are decorative/visual only.

Give that a try.

Edited by Von Quest
clarify clicking, more detail

14 minutes ago, Von Quest said:

For large compositions and objects, select as many as you don't need (decor, role-playing, etc) and turn OFF the simulation, damage, etc.

As far as I know enableSimulation only affects moveable objects such as vehicles etc, static objects should be fine without disabling their simulation, maybe I'll find a source for that.

The simpleObject tip is well worth to investigate further (check out KKs first comment).

Cheers

@The Black Fox,using simpleobject can and does help even for some static objects among others.Sometimes if i have a problem like yours what i do is make a backup of the mission the way it is and then using a copy of said mission and then start culling things u think might be causing of the problem.Doing this several times using many copies of the mission , deleting and eliminating  different aspects/features individually  hopefully will give you more of an idea of whats the cause of the lag problem.

Best of luck.

p.s Alot of AI with too high ai skill set makes missions heavy.kepp in mind for AI intensive missions.

Steve.

Have you tried custom Caching scripts, like ZBE?