AF Large Civilian Ship

(Cargo Container, Bulk Cargo, Oil, Liquid Gas)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1685039592

Release 1.1

Hi Everyone! I am putting out the first release of my first MOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hear for your first project you should pick something huge that takes tons of time.

I hope to still work on this, but after years of on and off working on this ship, and being currently unemployed, I am able to release a working ship.

Please let me know what you think. What you would like to see and what issues did you find?

I will be updating this with some layouts for the ship interior and hull storage.

I will be updating the engine room models and the control room models, these should look like shit, they are there just to get something there.

I will try to work on the life boat but flotation is a pain to config and test so... take that as it is.

I am looking forward to some negative comments to help make this better, I will also take your praise and undying admiration.

PayPal Donations

Patreon Donations

Short (>3 min) Ship Overview

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUkE6C7Qsam68tZVxw_yLnQ?

Picture Galore

Spoiler

b3MAkEh.jpg

hR6N8iz.jpg

nWiZ2VH.jpg

7xVPvs7.jpg

6Gbw673.jpg

f46cnV3.jpg

DlLDE7U.jpg

QRoXLyx.jpg

0mxg8GF.jpg

Someone has been ignoring the arms embargo.😮

Release 1.1
Fixed:
See through Doors fixed - Unable to Reproduce but new textures were created and mapping updated
Actions for doors and windows set to allow AI control
Color of all models darkened - Changed ambient[]= from 1.0 to 0.8
Ship Spawning Delay fixed - Mod was Binarized
Class names updated to follow community standard. THIS WILL BREAK ALL MISSIONS WITH SHIP! Will not change again.
Cargo version model updated with hull memory points for conex spawning and some normals fixed

Added:
More detailed engine model added
Signature added - for all you server people
Conex container spawner in attributes added. Only first layer will open. Suggested all items you place inside a conex have simulation disabled

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Looks great! The biggest issue appears to be the textures that make eyes hurt. They are very bright and even. Maybe work on that next?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bumgie said:

Looks great! The biggest issue appears to be the textures that make eyes hurt. They are very bright and even. Maybe work on that next?

I have noticed that as a large issue, but need to learn more about texturing to fix.  This does look better with cloud cover. I am unsure what I am missing to get the rvmat to be "less bright". Its not shinny at all just seems to washout in the sun.

The ship is more functional than pretty.

Texture maybe something I work on sloooooowwwwly as I add better assets, and learn. Just look at the shitty textures on the engines and control consoles. What kind of eye sight created those things... me... I did🤡

Well done, ArmaFiend. Well bloody done!

The curtains are a brilliant touch. I think curtains would be an amazing addition to buildings.
On the subject of buildings... Does the the ship have building positions defined?

2 hours ago, Maff said:

Well done, ArmaFiend. Well bloody done!

The curtains are a brilliant touch. I think curtains would be an amazing addition to buildings.
On the subject of buildings... Does the the ship have building positions defined?

Thankyou!

You have all made my weekend!

Nope, no building positions... kind of.. yet.

My understanding is that building positions come from the path LOD. The path LOD gives AI direction when inside a structure. I have a path LOD on the first level of the Tower but no building positions defined.

This is something I would like to implement but for those positions and AI but have found that AI walk through the walls and act unexpectedly. This is not only with my ship, but add a building over water and add AI, they will act the same. This has happened in the bits of testing I have done with it. Half of AI walked through walls and into the water and the other half bunched up on one path axis. It worked better with a pier underneath a building but I have been able to define what is or will happen. I will be working on that. In the mean time I have set AI on the ship and set a dostop on them to stop them from walking around. This works in you want them shooting back but they will not move. I am working on a demo mission where I have a shit ton of AI on the ship with a random presence set on them all so all CQB is random on the ship. This works for now but I will be working on other options.

If anyone have more data on AI behavior for water objects, let me know. I have yet over the past few years to find an Arma way to get AI to fiction normally on a ship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TiredGiraffe said:

Pretty cool just had a look at the vid 🙂

Thanks!

Let me know if I have an annoying voice. I will let my twin brother know and shit on him when every he uses his genetically alike voice.

The negative feed back has been expected so far but steam comments so far, are are on point.

The textures are basic. These are all open/free textures I have used to decrease my large workload on this project. Anything else is welcome and I will be updating as I learn.

Congratulations on an incredible first effort.

I particularly appreciate your attention to detail, e.g. anchor chain, window curtains, gangplank

I jus thope that you get some help in defining the waypoints for AI and textures.

Your mod has been waiting for a long time, it is very good at this stage.

On the ship there is a problem with the doors, they are transparent. All internal doors, even in cabins with windows, I think this does not happen in reality.

5plSFcGcJKc.jpg

This is really cool! Definitely gonna use this for an event with my group for clearing pirates off the ship, should be fun. I'll let you know about any feedback we have when that happens.

First of all, nice job on the mod, it's a great start.

I like the features you added such as, the boarding ladder, and being able to climb the anchor chain. 

I have a little feedback. 

The biggest thing, and the top priority (in my opinion) is to fix the issue with the transparent doors (it's immersion breaking). 

A suggestion, would it be possible to add the boarding ladder to the player's inventory? It would be nice if a diver could deploy the ladder . 

Lastly, and a pretty low priority suggestion, would it be possible to lower the railings/walls of the wings off the bridge, so you can more easily shoot down from those positions?  The wings are a great place to fend off approaching pirates,  if the walls were lower, it would be much easier to shoot over them. 

Again, nice job on the mod, keep up the good work.  

ETA:

Have you considered using the hold action function to get onto the ladder, and chain instead of the add action?  Applying the hold action may make it easier to get onto the ladder, and chain because you can set the distance from the ladder/chain that you get the option to climb it.. Anyway, that was just a thought I had to possibly improve those features. 

Impressive, look forward to implementing this onto our server for some missions!

6tiIGGg.jpg

Setting up a mission for my group to clear pirates from a hijacked cargo ship and it had to be done. Yes, those are the individual long containers from vanilla Arma 3. Yes, this did take a bit of time to do.BL9kY2U.jpg

Technically only one of those 5 "blocks" of containers is hand placed and the rest copy pasta but then I went back and made them random colors (plus one IDAP) cause it felt wrong having them all the same, so I still consider it hand placed.

Now to do the below deck cargo hold and furnish the cabins and bridge.

Side note for @ArmaFiend it looks like the engines are poking through the deck above them, might wanna fix that asap.

• Like 7

Did some one say update time?

No, no one....

Okay then, I'm saying UPDATE TIME!

Release 1.1
Fixed:
See through Doors fixed - Unable to Reproduce but new textures were created and mapping updated
Actions for doors and windows set to allow AI control
Color of all models darkened - Changed ambient[]= from 1.0 to 0.8
Ship Spawning Delay fixed - Mod was Binarized
Class names updated to follow community standard. THIS WILL BREAK ALL MISSIONS WITH SHIP! Will not change again.
Cargo version model updated with hull memory points for conex spawning and some normals fixed

Added:
More detailed engine model added
Signature added - for all you server people
Conex container spawner in attributes added. Only first layer will open. Suggested all items you place inside a conex have simulation disabled

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1685039592

On 3/22/2019 at 8:35 PM, Eogos said:

Setting up a mission for my group to clear pirates from a hijacked cargo ship and it had to be done. Yes, those are the individual long containers from vanilla Arma 3. Yes, this did take a bit of time to do.
Technically only one of those 5 "blocks" of containers is hand placed and the rest copy pasta but then I went back and made them random colors (plus one IDAP) cause it felt wrong having them all the same, so I still consider it hand placed.
Now to do the below deck cargo hold and furnish the cabins and bridge.
Side note for @ArmaFiend it looks like the engines are poking through the deck above them, might wanna fix that asap.

I was unable to fix the engines coming up through the deck in 3den. for some reason they hate me. The model has been updated and they will not poke through the deck when not in 3den. If you move the sip around the engines will move up and down for some reason.

I am excited to see your layout! I have one of my own I may post here shortly.  I am sorry I didn't have the Conex box spawning in the first release. It took some time and was just an Idea. I will also be making some Conex interior layouts let me know if you have any. It would help to have a lot, both legitamate and contraband cargo.

On 3/22/2019 at 3:12 PM, lilwillie said:

Impressive, look forward to implementing this onto our server for some missions!

The mod should be ready for a server now. The fixes should make it much more stable so I have signed the MOD. Enjoy your multi-playing!

On 3/22/2019 at 10:47 AM, stburr91 said:

The biggest thing, and the top priority (in my opinion) is to fix the issue with the transparent doors (it's immersion breaking).  DONE!- I hope

A suggestion, would it be possible to add the boarding ladder to the player's inventory? It would be nice if a diver could deploy the ladder . - You should be able to with a back pack the ladder is about as large as a missile in inventory. Haveing

Lastly, and a pretty low priority suggestion, would it be possible to lower the railings/walls of the wings off the bridge, so you can more easily shoot down from those positions?  The wings are a great place to fend off approaching pirates,  if the walls were lower, it would be much easier to shoot over them. - I will work on that

Have you considered using the hold action function to get onto the ladder, and chain instead of the add action?  Applying the hold action may make it easier to get onto the ladder, and chain because you can set the distance from the ladder/chain that you get the option to climb it.. Anyway, that was just a thought I had to possibly improve those features. - The addaction for ladders is not customizable but, this is something I could look at trying some scripting  work around.

On 3/21/2019 at 12:08 PM, ArturBog3 said:

Your mod has been waiting for a long time, it is very good at this stage.

On the ship there is a problem with the doors, they are transparent. All internal doors, even in cabins with windows, I think this does not happen in reality. - I have never been on a cargo ship they could all be slightly see through, but I doubt it too. This "should be" fixed now. I was unable to replicate the problem but all textures and mapping were redone without see though alpha and windows were moved to a separate texture.

• Like 6

awesome work 👍 

A small bug I noticed: the engines and the railings on the outer stairwell of the bridge are lacking collision. Could someone double check and try to reproduce?

The see-through doors issue is also something I can still reproduce (although not all dorrs seem to be affected strangely enough).

On 5/17/2019 at 9:43 AM, lumnuon said:

awesome work 👍 

A small bug I noticed: the engines and the railings on the outer stairwell of the bridge are lacking collision. Could someone double check and try to reproduce?

The see-through doors issue is also something I can still reproduce (although not all dorrs seem to be affected strangely enough).

Hot fix is on its way today for the engines and railings. I will look through the doors again. The doors are in 3 different models because of number of animations restriction, top, middle, and bottom. I am guessing one had a mapping slip up. What level of the tower were the see through doors?

The hot fix has been out. Engine parts and tanks are now spawnable objects and do not spawn with the ship anymore. Ladder scripts have been updated to work better on dedicated server. I have been working on a PVP dedicated server mission to ensure everything works server-side with the mod.

2 hours ago, Crielaard said:

You need some help on your texrures and Rvmats?

That will be :icon_dj:...give it a weathered down/beat-up feel and it will be perfect for some SEALs mission making.

Can't the crew just be really good at cleaning and repainting?

I do need to learn painting in blender, but the hull structure UV's are messed up and needcleaned. I should split UVs to more images to get better resolution in painting for rvmat. The textures are just open source tilable and the modeling is very simple yet complex some how.

• Like 2

We used your mod for some boarding actions, which was great.

yes the textures need some attention however, the AI can see through everything in the ship.

you need to add a LOD. And I think its the ViewGeometry that is missing

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Shit sorry guys...that was rediculous. I used voice recognition to make that post.

I edited it now...

• Like 1