Sign in to follow this  
Xayhawk

Soft Surface Workflow for Arma

Hey guys, i'm pretty comfortable with hard surface modelling with 3ds Max and Substance Painter for texturing. I would like to learn ZBrush and would like to understand the common workflow used in the industry. 

I'd like to know what's the order of creating content:
- Sculpting in ZBrush ( High Poly )

- Retopo ( Low Poly )

- How does unwrap work? if I were to sculpt a backpack or clothes for example where I have to have uniform UV islands to apply camouflage patterns, do I unwrap in ZBrush or do I export the low poly out to an external software? If that's the case can I use my current hard surface workflow for texturing?
- Would marvelous designer be useful to pick up?

I'd like to hear your advice and appreciate any tips you can give me. Cheers! 

a. get ready for a world of pain. the UI is completely different from any other 3d software out there. Works alright once you got used to the convoluted UI and several tools that have the same name but behave differently based on the subtool set is in.

b. workflow 

1. if you get marvelous in the mix it is marvelous - zbrush - back to 3ds max

2. if you have zbrush, then it is sculpt the HP, decimated and retopo in 3ds max (decent retopo tools available in max graphite) creating the LP and unwrap. Yes, you can unwrap it zbrush directly, but it doesn't unwrap better than max for what you want / need to achieve

not really sure what you mean by "have uniform UV islands". You need the least amount of stretches, and from my experience that is easy to do in max than i zbrush. Best bet is to create the seams where the natural seams are (where the pieces of cloth are sawed together).

2 hours ago, PuFu said:

a. get ready for a world of pain. the UI is completely different from any other 3d software out there. Works alright once you got used to the convoluted UI and several tools that have the same name but behave differently based on the subtool set is in.

b. workflow 

1. if you get marvelous in the mix it is marvelous - zbrush - back to 3ds max

2. if you have zbrush, then it is sculpt the HP, decimated and retopo in 3ds max (decent retopo tools available in max graphite) creating the LP and unwrap. Yes, you can unwrap it zbrush directly, but it doesn't unwrap better than max for what you want / need to achieve

not really sure what you mean by "have uniform UV islands". You need the least amount of stretches, and from my experience that is easy to do in max than i zbrush. Best bet is to create the seams where the natural seams are (where the pieces of cloth are sawed together).

Hey thanks for the input PuFu! I have a clearer understanding of it now.  😀

I actually came across your wonderful MK17 on artstation and was wondering what you meant by "parts adjusted in zbrush". I would assume this is for correcting any discrepancies in the HP mesh from max?

6 hours ago, Xayhawk said:

I actually came across your wonderful MK17 on artstation and was wondering what you meant by "parts adjusted in zbrush". I would assume this is for correcting any discrepancies in the HP mesh from max?

no, it means i used booleans operations on some parts, and moved stuff over zbrush to create my HP parts since doing my normal (open) sub-d work, would have taken a ton more time and most likely would have ended up with some pulls, or too tight edges. Even some of my sub-d pieces were sent over to zbrush for the same treatment. 

Thanks @PuFu, that is something new I may try out! And @.kju  appreciate the link, it would help me a lot for some stuff I have got in mind. Cheers to you both :)

• Thanks 1