Can anyone explain the difference between Arma 3's score and rating? I cannot distinguish them by reading the official documentation.

They are different but related. Score is just players score, they get a point for each enemy kill and they lose a point for each team or civilian kill. It's what they see on the scoretable (default key "p"). I *think* they might get more than 1 point for killing vehicles and aircraft. Can't remember.

Rating is different. It's really only a mission designers thing. Players aren't normally aware of, nor do they need to know, their rating, with one crucial exception. Player's rating starts at zero and goes up when they do good stuff and goes down when they do bad stuff.

Here's the exception. If they do lots of bad stuff, usually a number of team kills, their rating will drop below -2000 and at that point, they have their side changed to sideEnemy. This means they become enemy to everyone, BLUFOR, OPFOR, civilians - everyone. Often they'll notice they can't get in their teammates vehicles (you can't enter an enemy crewed vec) or, for the same reason, other players won't be able to get in their vehicle.

• Like 1

Ok, thanks!

So rating cannot by default be seen anywhere by the player?

If mission designer does not touch it, are a player's score and rating always the same?

Yes, players never see rating.

But they are not the same thing. They do different things. It's possible to have a score of 200 points, but then the player kills two friendlies and will have a score of 198 and a negative rating of around -2000.

At the risk of confusing matters further, ratings are also used to award ranks to players. See the rating value link above. Ranks are purely cosmetic though and I've never used them.

Ok. Actually I'm planning to play a little with the ranks, and use them as requirements for different stuff in a mission. So thanks for helping me understand the concept!

• Like 1

On 3/10/2019 at 5:10 PM, HazJ said:

I personally always override rating with HandleRating EH.

Is that because you're always capping our civilians? Lol

Ok, the script commands around rating seem broken. I.e. I do addRating, and the rating is added, but the rank is never changed.

And when I setRank the rating is set to 0.

I can fix it through a workaround by first save rating in variable, setRating and then addRating again. But it only works in SP, and not in MP...

7 hours ago, engima said:

Ok, the script commands around rating seem broken. I.e. I do addRating, and the rating is added, but the rank is never changed.

And when I setRank the rating is set to 0.

I can fix it through a workaround by first save rating in variable, setRating and then addRating again. But it only works in SP, and not in MP...

What is your code? Your variable setRating is strange.

BI, once again, made a "too clever" command. Rating and rank should be definitely independent. We, scripters, spill a lot of time with such workarounds.

Sorry, "setRating" was a mistake. I meant setRank (and I also tried setUnitRank).

However, I implemented my own rank system now, and only use the ingame rating.

• Like 1

Most mission makers who use ranks have implemented their own system too.