beef331

Arma 3 with mods(.dll) working in Proton

I have figured out how to get Arma 3 to work with Proton and have full mod support. After downloading Arma 3 using Steam play Proton, go to your Arma 3 directory, and rename the “arma3launcher.exe” to anything. Then rename your “arma3_x64.exe” or “arma3.exe” to “arma3launcher.exe”. After that you can just launch the game through Steam, but if you have audio issues you need to use “WINEPREFIX=/path/to/steam/steamapps/compatdata/107410/pfx winecfg”. Go to libraries, add “xaudio2_6” and “xaudio2_7” setting both to “native,builtin”. Finally if you want to use any mods that use .dlls you need to source a imagehlp.dll from a windows installation, and drop it in your “/path/to/steam/steamapps/compaydata/107410/pfx/drive_c/windows/system32” directory. Then use winecfg and set "imagehlp" to "native". That will let arma load mods that use .dlls properly.
Suggested tools for a better experience
Proton Wine Manager
Arma3-Proton-Launcher

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Game works fine, no audio issues, but still have the mod dll problem (ACE, TFAR). Can you describe the last step in case I'm doing something wrong? I copy the imagehlp.dll from a Windows 10 installation "C:\Windows\System32\imagehlp.dll" to my “/path/to/steam/steamapps/compatdata/107410/pfx/drive_c/windows/system32” and still get the usual missing ace_advanced_ballistics_x64.dll error.

Perfect, it's running like a charm now, thanks for the tips. Haven't done any extensive tests yet and have not much hope for TFAR anyways, but at least ACE is running fine. I needed to copy and set native two more DLLs though before it would start without complaints:

api-ms-win-crt-private-l1-1-0.dll

ucrtbase.dll

Glad to hear it, I was hoping to find a redistributable with imagehlp.dll in it, but sadly that's only from Windows. So to do it legally you need a copy of Windows.

i've got another solution to get the mods running properly, for you guys.. which does not require any file replacing at all.

https://github.com/Tk-Glitch/PKGBUILDS/tree/master/proton-tkg

with this script, you can build a custom proton build, which contains a wine-staging build of your choice, and is available for the whole steam library. this solves the mod loading problem out-of-the-box!

to fix the sound issues, just install faudio natively into your system, thats much better than xact (xaudio_2_7)! - do not do the xact/xaudio trick in this case, or you will override faudio.

with this setup, i've actually even got ts3 + tfar running! unbelievable, but true!

all you have to do for that is installing ts3 into the same wine prefix, and start it with the wine binary of that csutom proton, otherwise it won't connect.

EDIT: here is a one-liner for starting ts3 with the same proton-wine:

WINEESYNC=1 WINEPREFIX="/path/to/steamplay/compatdata/107410/pfx" "/home/user/.steam/root/compatibilitytools.d/proton_tkg_X.X.xxxxxxxxxx/dist/bin/wine" "/path/to/ts3"

use the same line for installing ts3 and the tfar plugin... (call package_inst.exe in the ts3 folder and pass the *.ts3_plugin as another param)