Welcome to Vandeanson's Basebuilding!
In this thread I will cover everything about my WIP basebuilding mod.
V0. 2: feature showcase and introduction
- I have re-written the blueprint creation function. It is now easy for users to add new custom blueprints or delete default blueprints when creating a mission.
- added an option to rotate the object (the object that is being built)
- added an option to get object closer or further away (max distance can be limited, currently at 5m)
- GRAD persistency enabled for placed stuff (tested in client hosted and dedicated)
- placed objects can be destroyed, you get back scrap materials (which can be refined into other materials again later)
- moving an object will save its new position via GRAD
- added a few new materials
- added place-able light source with on / off switch. I plan to add a feature that requires a generator connected.
See light showcase:
- release updated showcase video
- add more blueprints
- add GRAD setting to save collected material per player
- "Move" and "deconstruct" addactions to be saved via GRAD
- adding possibilities to destroy other players placed objects
- adding blueprint spawners, so players can collect and learn new blueprints
- material traders
- loot system for all materials that may be found (currently wood, stone and sand can be farmed)
Looking forward to receive any input, suggestion or ideas from the community.
A playable mission demo will follow shortly.
After some time away from Arma, I have had some time again lately to dig into this project. I am progressing well and will release a script version/demo mission rather soon, mainly to gather as much feedback and critique as possible before I release it as mod on steam.
Recent changes & and current state of main features:
- addaction based
- requires the max melee weapon Hammer equipped in hands to make the building menue visible
- ressouces count is currently shown as hint when closing the inventory. I might add a HUD tho
Simplified blue-print creator function:
- select 3 types of ressources to use (e. g. Wood, electronic parts, sandbags,..)
- select amount of ressources needed
- enter classname of object to build. You may add ANY structure you like
- select category (Walls, fences, utilies, light,....)
- this will add a respective add-action in the building category of the building menue. Object display name and material costs are shown based on your settings.
Persistent light switch add-action:
- adds "Switch Light on/off" add-action to players. This is only visible when near light sources.
- to switch lights on, a power generatior (can be built) needs to be within a certain range
- if a light is switched on, the add-action will turn it off instead
- works on built lights, editor placed lights and terrain object lights
Utilities (structures needed for basebuilding, that can be built) :
- portable generator (e.g. To power lights)
- worktable (to refine ressources like wood into wooden boards)
- workbench (to cut stones into cinderblocks)
- windmill (to power generator)
- welder (to weld metal scraps into metal panels)
- Storage place (roof structure where you can persistently safe ressources e.g. A stack of wooden boards or sandbags that will be available after server restart)
- ressource refining, see utilities above
- craft gear: experimenting with crafting friths ruins gear
- Craft bandages/FAK from cloth ressource
- craft a ghillies suit:)
Ressource gathering and spawn system:
- gathering (fell trees, mine stone, dig up sand) using max melee weapons (axe, shovel, pickaxe)
- refining (see crafting and utilities)
- all other ressources are spawned via the loot economy feature
- a dynamic loot spawn system per player
- spawns loot 500 meters around the player, but not closer than 40 meters
- resets when the player moves 540 meters away from the last spawn point center and deletes the previous loot, unless any other player is nearby
- loot types: spawn boxes with addaction that provide random ressources to the respective player
- spawn stacks (rewards bigger amounts of ressources) of main ressources near industrial buildings
- spawns military style ressources near military structures (razorwire, sandbags, metalpanels)
- placed structures are safed via GRID
- gathered ressources may be stored in storage structure
- free placement
- move object away/closer while placing
- turn object
- align object to ground or sea level
- move placed objects again after placement
- deconstruct placed object for partial ressource refund
- i might add a height restriction, so you can not build 1000m up into the sky
Persistency & MP/coop compability:
- persistency via GRAD persistency
- MP compatible
Issues & to does:
- general code clean up
- finalize what ressources should be in
- finalize basebuilding categories
- finalize default blueprints
- tune ressource gains from collecting, crafting or gathering ressources
- navigation mesh: AI can still walk through placed walls. Currently no solution available.
- might add a feature to create safezones (to send AI away) in your base, TBD
- will add a grasscutter function
- create demo mission
- i ll probably add a feature that will reduce spawnchance of loot or ressources when other players are near. To avoid lootexplosions:)