Jester504

[WIP] Embraer A-29 Super Tucano

15 hours ago, stburr91 said:

I thought he said there will be no standalone version, did that change?

Anyway, just a plain gray version with no markings would probably be the most versatile.

But i don't think those skins he mentioned would come in RHS. So Im not entirely sure of standalone or not.

About the new skim suggestion, i totally agree with "no marking". The best is the one the guy above stated, no marking in default with hidden selection of sort. That way we can put whatever we like on the plane

• Like 3

As I mentioned in the RHS thread, a U.S. Navy skin/livery would be correct.  Sadly I couldn't find any BUNOs, but there might be pics out there on the 'net.  These were the real deal and were killing some bad guys for a bit.

23 hours ago, Bukain said:

But i don't think those skins he mentioned would come in RHS. So Im not entirely sure of standalone or not.

About the new skim suggestion, i totally agree with "no marking". The best is the one the guy above stated, no marking in default with hidden selection of sort. That way we can put whatever we like on the plane

There is no standalone planned. What I mentioned before will be skin options in RHS.

Copy all on suggestions!

9 hours ago, gatordev said:

a U.S. Navy skin/livery would be correct

USN has not operated the Super Tucano in any way that I'm aware of (they did the OV-10 very briefly). USAF has operated it in an air advisor / training and testing role.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for clarifying my confusions bud. 

9 hours ago, Jester504 said:

USN has not operated the Super Tucano in any way that I'm aware of (they did the OV-10 very briefly).

They absolutely did.  It was for a while before the OV-10s came online and they were kept under wraps for quite some time before the public press finally got wind of them.  Both the Super Ts and the OV-10s were under the same program office.

That said, your mod and your effort.  Just putting it out there.

22 hours ago, gatordev said:

They absolutely did.  It was for a while before the OV-10s came online and they were kept under wraps for quite some time before the public press finally got wind of them.  Both the Super Ts and the OV-10s were under the same program office.

That said, your mod and your effort.  Just putting it out there.

Testing it doesn't mean USN has ever actually operated the aircraft. not the same thing and that is what jester here is saying

on that note, this is recent - https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/10/25/air-force-makes-move-buy-limited-number-light-attack-aircraft.html

4 hours ago, PuFu said:

Testing it doesn't mean USN has ever actually operated the aircraft. not the same thing and that is what jester here is saying

on that note, this is recent - https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/10/25/air-force-makes-move-buy-limited-number-light-attack-aircraft.html

Sigh.  It was not just tested.  It was used down range operationally for a bit before COMBAT DRAGON started up and "replaced" it.  I have a bit more knowledge than what's available via Google but only posting what's public.  And yes, I fully acknowledge that both programs were stood down and the planes returned to their leasing agents.  But the Super T was absolutely killing bad guys while wearing a USN BUNO.

If Jester doesn't want to make the texture, so be it.  The fact that he gave you guys his addon so we can have it in game is awesome.  But I promise I'm not just talking out of my ass.

Yes, you're correct, Navy did operate Super Tucano once upon a time. Here it is-https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/imminent-fury.htm

But it was a very short experience for both the pilots who flied them and the ones on the ground who got supported by it (if one ever happened). I'd take Afghan skinned A-29 over the Navy one personally. I think there's >20(?) A-29 Super Tucano officially operating by AAF right at the moment. I think it is ~26, might be wrong though. If my sources correct, that would make the AAF the top operator of A-29 super, be second only to Brazil, the one that developed it!

Anyway yes you're correct with your statement, but I wouldn't suggest a dead program though, unless the modder finished off the prominent ones (i.e skins of current operators). But this is just my own opinion.

Oh and i honestly didn't know the plane really did combat mission/put rounds on bad peoples while wearing US Navy designation. Thanks for that info

Edited by Bukain

On 11/16/2019 at 11:25 AM, gatordev said:

I have a bit more knowledge than what's available via Google but only posting what's public.

What's available on the internet is that the US Navy leased a single A-29 from Blackwater and tested it in Afghanistan under a classified program very briefly in 2008 before returning it to Blackwater. I don't really consider that operational use, but I accept that different people have different definitions of that. If you're going off classified info that isn't public I'm not sure how to take that.

Philosophy aside, the primary technical issue for me is that without a clear picture to reference (which I have for the USAF iteration), I'm basically just making it up and I don't really like doing that.

On 11/17/2019 at 7:07 AM, Bukain said:

If my sources correct, that would make the AAF the top operator of A-29 super, be second only to Brazil, the one that developed it!

Brazil has around 100 Super Tucanos across five squadrons; they're definitely the biggest operator.

I'll keep tweaking the USAF one post-release (and it will fill the role of "generic" Western livery) because it just doesn't look that good to me yet. Then, Afghanistan, Chile, and another fictional Arma-universe faction are probably going to be the second batch that I create.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jester504 said:

What's available on the internet is that the US Navy leased a single A-29 from Blackwater and tested it in Afghanistan under a classified program very briefly in 2008 before returning it to Blackwater. I don't really consider that operational use, but I accept that different people have different definitions of that. If you're going off classified info that isn't public I'm not sure how to take that.

Philosophy aside, the primary technical issue for me is that without a clear picture to reference (which I have for the USAF iteration), I'm basically just making it up and I don't really like doing that.

Completely and totally understandable.  For the record, nothing I've posted is classified.  What I have posted is info from the Program Office that was eventually "released," but not in any overt press release (unlike Combat Dragon II).  Anything else I may know (or think I know), I've kept my mouth shut on here.  I was just very lucky to sit in an office at Mynock and listen in on meetings at the program's genesis, and got to get updates on the program as it progressed before it hit public daylight (notably some time later). 

But even having an USAF variant in-game is a win, so thank you for continuing to update the mod, wherever it might be found!

11 hours ago, Jester504 said:

Brazil has around 100 Super Tucanos across five squadrons; they're definitely the biggest operator.

Yes, i know it 🙂

I said Afghanistan is second to Brazil in number of operating Super.

Maybe my English confuse you a bit ?

I can't seem to find the USAF version in the RHS release, can anyone confirm if it was was released in the recent update?

After playing the stable release i want to tell you thank you very much. I'm very happy! The plane is flawless, nothing to point out.

11 hours ago, stburr91 said:

I can't seem to find the USAF version in the RHS release, can anyone confirm if it was was released in the recent update?

Stburr, it has been in dev bench for testing, and yes the plane bundled with the last stable release(5.0), and it's only still in GREF mod, you'll not get it without GREF/or USAF mod alone. If you want a United States air Force super,  put a HIDF A-29 into editor, right click on it, go to "Edit Vehicle Appearance", change the skin to "USAF", get rid of the of horizon pilots duo and delete them, and put two US pilots in the plane (i use Firewill pilot suits and helmet). That's how you get a perfect portrayal of USAF a-29 super tucano in a game. That's how i play myself anyway:)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bukain said:

If you want a United States air Force super,  put a HIDF A-29 into editor, right click on it, go to "Edit Vehicle Appearance", change the skin to "USAF", get rid of the of horizon pilots duo and delete them, and put two US pilots in the plane (i use Firewill pilot suits and helmet). That's how you get a perfect portrayal of USAF a-29 super tucano in a game. That's how i play myself anyway:)

And this is the beauty of Arma!!!

• Haha 1

Thanks everyone. I'm thrilled to see it out in the wild, finally. For the record, this is what I'm looking at for the future:

- I want to refine the USAF texture (and remove the actual USAF marking, which many of them don't have anyway) and it will serve as the generic Western livery
- Adding Afghanistan, Chile, and another fictional Arma-universe faction textures
- Continue to refine config aspects and maybe the sounds
- FLIGHT MODEL - I'm an aviation guy so I want to do a deep-dive on this at some point and get it as realistic as possible

Importantly, I want to thank RHS and particularly Reyhard for their invaluable help in getting this over the finish line. This would not have been possible without them. The original work on it they did (esp. the MFDs) is absolutely top-notch.

• Like 10

On 11/23/2019 at 1:01 AM, Jester504 said:

Thanks everyone. I'm thrilled to see it out in the wild, finally. For the record, this is what I'm looking at for the future:

- I want to refine the USAF texture (and remove the actual USAF marking, which many of them don't have anyway) and it will serve as the generic Western livery
- Adding Afghanistan, Chile, and another fictional Arma-universe faction textures
- Continue to refine config aspects and maybe the sounds
- FLIGHT MODEL - I'm an aviation guy so I want to do a deep-dive on this at some point and get it as realistic as possible

Jester,

Any chance that you will release your texture files so people can use them as starting points to make their own custom textures for the Tucano? 

On 11/25/2019 at 11:08 AM, stburr91 said:

Jester,

Any chance that you will release your texture files so people can use them as starting points to make their own custom textures for the Tucano? 

Sorry for the delay. Not sure but it's not on my list of things to do for now. Maybe later.

Will we be getting more weaponry options, such as the LM-70/19 rocket pods, or the M20A1 belly gunpods? Also the ability to take air to air missiles such as the AIM-9L?

14 hours ago, Edusaccon said:

Will we be getting more weaponry options, such as the LM-70/19 rocket pods, or the M20A1 belly gunpods? Also the ability to take air to air missiles such as the AIM-9L?

maybe

• Haha 1

I beieve, there is no other Super Tucano mods. so I bring it here. I think that hot exhaust effect is more than a little excessive, picture jumps constantly. I don't really believe it is a issue of real aircraft, especially in flight.

28 minutes ago, unhappytroll said:

I beieve, there is no other Super Tucano mods. so I bring it here. I think that hot exhaust effect is more than a little excessive, picture jumps constantly. I don't really believe it is a issue of real aircraft, especially in flight.

I believe it's issue with blastcore. Not sure what mods are you using though but it's hard to give an advice given little info you have provided

Ty, it is indeed Blastcore. But I found another issue - Zoom key does not work if rockets installed and selected. Missiles, guns and bombs are not affected.

i really like this mod i waited for quite some time to have an playable tucano, thanks for that! Is there a way to make to Targeting POD controllable by the pilot? I usually fly alone and would like to use the TGP from the pilot seat, could you maybe implement this is an option (like a dependable addon)? This would be awesome!

It would also help the Singleplayer people!

On 5/4/2020 at 9:17 PM, Trufax42 said:

i really like this mod i waited for quite some time to have an playable tucano, thanks for that! Is there a way to make to Targeting POD controllable by the pilot? I usually fly alone and would like to use the TGP from the pilot seat, could you maybe implement this is an option (like a dependable addon)? This would be awesome!

It would also help the Singleplayer people!

Just stick a playable character in the copilot seat along with a playable pilot. Use the switch character (U key by default) and flick over to the targeting pod. 

If if you have both grouped together you’ll be able to command go to next wp to keep the pilot on the straight and narrow