Homesick

1.90 update - Troubleshooting

On 3/8/2019 at 12:57 PM, Dwarden said:

please try new 1.90 profiling branch version 02  with performance server and client binaries,

in build 1.90.145423 are some fixes to session lost issues

note: since 145146 build the `cache.ch` now goes into ``C:\Users\%windowsusername%\AppData\Local\Arma 3\DataCache\`` unless defined -profiles= path

common BI, you serious ?

you manage to break game (servers) for several customers and all what you do is tell us
to use this shady "performance build" or rollback to previous build, to fix this problem...
question, what about all steam costumers that NEVER will visit this forum?

kind regards
a customer

Edited by FallujahMedic -FM-
Video removed

@maquez I fully agree with you!

However, I have seen in the meantime, that blame brings us not further.

We (especially BI) must now find a solution to the problem. If this means that the new signatureCheck must be taken back, then that's just the case.

I just ask that the developers consider this possibility, even if it does not mean the optimum.

We are investigating the issue, and looking into options. 

• Thanks 3

for how many days now? Or is it weeks?

I recommend using Github so you can work with a branch system and Undo certain changes

• Haha 1

I get this

Skipping mods and signatures due to overflow flag being set

in my client RPT when trying to join our v2 enabled server before I get session lost. I don't think I've ever seen that message before and I've got no idea what it means...

EDIT: I redownloaded all bisigns in my installation and my session lost problem seems to be fixed. The signature files got corrupted somehow during the update process. If you're having this issue, follow these steps to see if it fixes it for you:

1) Go into your Arma 3 folder and type "*.bisign" (without quotes) into the search bar.

2) Once the search is finished, select all files found and delete them.

3) Verify game files using Steam. It will redownload the deleted files.

EDIT2: Forgot to mention I also deleted the cache.ch file. You might have to do that too.

On 3/9/2019 at 3:19 PM, ZN Anhor said:

If this means that the new signatureCheck must be taken back, then that's just the case.

I just ask that the developers consider this possibility, even if it does not mean the optimum.

I am afraid this would effectively mean cutting the improvements for good and leaving the old vulnerability open to hackers. It is an option 😕

On 3/9/2019 at 2:00 PM, maquez said:

you manage to break game (servers) for several customers and all what you do is tell us
to use this shady "performance build" or rollback to previous build, to fix this problem...

We're truly sorry about the troubles you've been having with 1.90 so far. Yet I believe it is worth it to keep pushing.

Initially we released the improved security measures with 1.86 on 3rd December after more than 2 months of internal testing and about a month of having the build available on the RC branch for public testing.
The same week, immediately after seeing numerous issues pop up, we rolled the security measures back. And released the 1.88 Hotfix on 6th December.
We've gained a lot of valuable feedback throughout the few days in December and thanks to the great cooperation with our community server admins. With all the gained knowledge our programmer was able to fix all the reported issues and we've adjusted the internal testing to include more cases with a modded multiplayer and cover all the causes of the previous issues.
On 19th December we re-introduced the security measures with all the fixes in the 1.90 Release Candidate public build. After more than 2 more months of both internal and public testing, with a positive response from few communities (Big kudos! And here's hope for more to join next time!), we've decided it's safe to roll the 1.90 onto the main branch.
That was 4th March. And here we are.

Given the openness and moddability of Arma 3 it's simply not possible for us to test every server configuration, every individual mod and every possible combination. That's why we have to rely a lot on the public testing and why we try to stress out that your help in Release Candidate testing is paramount. We are on the same boat, six years now on the open seas 🙂

Figuratively. As to our honorable customer, we kindly present you the product (Release Candidate) and ask you: "Is this what you wanted? Does it suit your needs and your environment?"

And there's always more we can do in order to make our releases more smooth and flawless - we're learning. Thank you for helping us and I am really sorry about your troubles and the multiplayer issues related to the 1.90 Update.

• Like 6

Thanks Oukej

We just had to postpone a 60 man op, due to every player crashing to desktop every 5-10 minutes using 1.90 without sig checking. Even just 5 of us regulars sitting on the server to test it crashed after sitting chatting for 5 mins. TFAR seems to be FUBAR, with weird popups causing game freezes too.

Here are the guys atanding about waiting to crash.... we postponed til next week in the end.

UNSUNG_Night_Prep2.jpg

There are not many games companies that both support their customers 6 years after release, and none I know of who work so hard to maintain and improve the users experience, even down to apologising for problems, and offering such a detailed and honest explanation.

Kudos to Bohemia, king of game makers.

Good luck to you all in fixing this.

I'd buy you all a crate of beer, if I could. keep at it.

btw I'm less busy this week so if you want another server to test, I'll happily make some time to do it.

cheers

Rob and the Unsung mod team.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I don't even know what to look for anymore. I've reinstalled the server 5 times over now, ran missions with and without mods. I can join fine and play but none of my friends can even get to the lobby.

The error is the same as everyone once my friends join but it just doesn't happen with me

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TheNightstalk3r said:

I don't even know what to look for anymore. I've reinstalled the server 5 times over now, ran missions with and without mods. I can join fine and play but none of my friends can even get to the lobby.

The error is the same as everyone once my friends join but it just doesn't happen with me

Could you, please, try with them switching to the Profiling branch (Steam beta code: CautionSpecialProfilingAndTestingBranchArma3)?
The Profiling branch update is ~82MB and it is compatible with the current 1.90 main branch.

12 hours ago, K.Hunter said:

I get this

Skipping mods and signatures due to overflow flag being set

in my client RPT when trying to join our v2 enabled server before I get session lost. I don't think I've ever seen that message before and I've got no idea what it means...

EDIT: I redownloaded all bisigns in my installation and my session lost problem seems to be fixed. The signature files got corrupted somehow during the update process. If you're having this issue, follow these steps to see if it fixes it for you:

1) Go into your Arma 3 folder and type "*.bisign" (without quotes) into the search bar.

2) Once the search is finished, select all files found and delete them.

3) Verify game files using Steam. It will redownload the deleted files.

EDIT2: Forgot to mention I also deleted the cache.ch file. You might have to do that too.

Glad you got it fixed. I think however this won't help those who don't use Steam Workshop for their mods. I assume you are.

I also don't get the message you got in the RPT. Guess my issue is caused by something else.

I've put out the word, and the guys are assembling their RPTs from todays session.

I'll bundle it with our server files and send it tomorrow.

Let's hope it can help shed some light on the issues.

We were using TFAR, enhanced movement, PKL map, unsung and CBA.

I don't know how much longer I can wait for a fix before I have to shut my server down. This is costing me money every day. Anyone have any new information?

57 minutes ago, aussie battler said:

@kelley in your server.cfg change

verifySignatures                       = 0; // then change it back to 2 when a fix comes out

Fine if I want to use the server by myself?  This seems like a bad idea for a public server? Thanks anyway.

1 hour ago, aussie battler said:

@kelley in your server.cfg change

verifySignatures                       = 0; // then change it back to 2 when a fix comes out

this advice is a very stupid one
your server would NOT be protectet against any cheats/cheaters... don't do that !!!!

Roll back to 1.88 ......... most players have done that too meanwhile.

My server is running on 1.88 too.

4 minutes ago, maquez said:

this advice is a very stupid one
your server would be NOT protectet against any cheats/cheaters... don't do that !!!!

Run infistar.

24 minutes ago, aussie battler said:

Run infistar.

I have been using infiSTAR for a long time ..... I guarantee you that it does not even recognize half of the cheaters.

Nonetheless, a third party security service does not hurt.

On 3/10/2019 at 5:37 PM, eggbeast said:

TFAR seems to be FUBAR, with weird popups causing game freezes too.

I just played a mission with TFAR (and little other mods). While we had no connection issues, I encountered severe fps drops (creeping around 5-10 fps), that could be solved by disabling the tfar plugin. After changing to the current performance binary on my client end, this issue had been solved.

This is rubbish BI. Although I can understand your perspective that you can't possibly test all scenarios it's clear to me that this is a serious problem which affects many of your customers. This isn't an isolated incident AND today is the 12-Mar and you have yet to send out a rollback which means many of us players can't play. The solution IS NOT to force server owners to manually rollback their versions. You should release a hotfix which removes the changes causing this issue. I installed the latest update last night (automatic updates) and now I cannot access a single server. Awesome customer experience for an online multiplayer game. 

We as customers; server owners and players want YOU as the provider of the software we all paid for to be responsible for fixing this issue. Period.

• Like 3

new 1.90.145451 profiling branch performance binary build with more fixes is out

• Like 1

Ran the Steam update on our dedicated server today all files just "Verified" nothing new? Then tested server with all addons running, & same problem the server not showing.

So back to the workaround, remove one of the RHS addons ( @RHSUSAF) from the commandline & the server is showing & playing again. Weird thing is as long as clients are running all the RHS addons

then missions using units from  @RHSUSAF still work !?!

I have to say JasonTheRed is spot on with his post ,you really screwed things up for so many of your loyal customers with 1.90 & you need to unscrew it, just put thing back the way they were for us with another update, job done......

2 hours ago, jgaz-uk said:

just put thing back the way they were for us with another update, job done......

I agree with this. My players are not going to play with anything other than what auto downloads for them. Most players won't roll back.That is just a fact. Then it's my fault they can't log on to my server. I don't understand why B.I. thinks this is okay?

• Like 1

I feel like it's not said often enough in this thread so I'm gonna say it:  I have no problem with the latest update.  Not a single one.  The servers I play on are working perfectly fine. 

• Like 2

Main post edited: 

On 3/5/2019 at 2:56 PM, BIS_Homesick said:

We've discovered the issue might be connected to some addon files that shouldn't be there, air_f_rtd.pbo and dubbing_radio_f_data.pbo should be removed from the addons folder. These addons are deprecated and should no longer be present in the addon folder (Steam doesn't autoclean them). If deleting these two files doesn't help, please delete any other pbo that pops up in the connection message, or alternatively delete the entire addons folder (including those under DLC folders), and verify the integrity of your game files to have the proper addons re-downloaded.

• Like 7