Skull_Army

How to create map marker via trigger?

In a PVP scenario I have triggers set up to alert blufor of opfor activity:

if (side player == west) then { hint "Vehicle spotted in Molbath"; playSound "watchBeep_off"; };

but I'd like to add to this and have temporary map marker appear on the trigger location for a specified time (say 30 seconds) when a trigger is tripped. Can anyone help?

My knowledge of scripting is negligible so as much as the wiki helps others, it's not helping me much at this stage.

as I said my knowledge of scripting is negligible so how to implement that into my current line of code is still a little over my head. What I have now took me while to piece together

10 minutes ago, Skull_Army said:

as I said my knowledge of scripting is negligible so how to implement that into my current line of code is still a little over my head. What I have now took me while to piece together

Create an sqf file say molbath_marker.sqf (Not a txt file) in your mission folder in C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Arma 3 - Other Profiles\PLAYERNAME\missions.

Place the desired marker on the terrain in the editor. Give it a variableName in the markers properties. (say mkr1)

Create an init.sqf in the same mission folder assuming you don't have one now.

Add a line:

"mkr1" setMarkerAlpha 0;

Save it.

On mission start this will make the marker invisible.

Open molbath_marker.sqf with a text editor preferably Notepad++.

Add  lines:

"mkr1" setMarkerAlpha 1;

sleep 30;

"mkr1" setMarkerAlpha 0;

Save the sqf.

In the activation field of the trigger add a line:

nul = execVM "molbath_marker.sqf";

Whoever enters the trigger based on who you picked in the trigger to activate it will start the molbath_marker.sqf script. The marker will be set to true and be visible for 30 seconds then be invisible.

• Like 1

I know there are easier ways but this method will get you to understand more about scripts.

//Trigger OnActivation
if ( side player isEqualTo west ) then {
	hint "Vehicle spotted in Molbath";
	playSound "watchBeep_off";
	nul = thisTrigger spawn {
		_mrk = [ _this call BIS_fnc_objectVar, _this, true ] call BIS_fnc_markerToTrigger;
		sleep 30;
		deleteMarkerLocal _mrk;
	};
};

• Like 2